Solving Complex Circuits: Need Help With Current Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving multiple voltage sources and resistors. The equations for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law are used to solve for the node voltages and current in the circuit. The conversation suggests treating the three nodes as a single supernode to simplify the calculations.
p75213

Homework Statement

Refer Attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn the current direction in green. Are there any rules regarding the direction of the current?
I am at a bit of a loss regarding the horizontal current through the middle. The best I could come up with is: (V1-V3)/6-V3/3 that is through the 5i voltage source and (V1-V3)/6-V3/3-V2/4 through the 10V voltage source.
For the 10V supernode I have the following equation from KCL: 6V1+6V2+4V3=0. KVL: V1=10+v2.
For the 5i supernode I have the following equation from KVL:V3-V2-5i=0 and i=V1/2.
Therefore V3-V2-5V1/2=0.
Using these equations I get V1=3.85V, V2=-6.15V and V3=3.45V.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 21 01.07.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 21 01.07.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 576
  • ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 21 01.54.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Jul. 21 01.54.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you have attributed to KVL: V1=10+v2
and: KVL:V3-V2-5i=0

aren't really KVL equations. KVL says that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop add up to zero. You didn't traverse a closed loop to get those equations. You need those equations, but they are constraint equations rather than KVL equations.

You should probably just treat the 3 nodes (V1, V2 and V3) as a single supernode rather than as two separate supernodes.

You already have 2 equations (the two constraint equations) and you need a third. The currents from the 3 nodes to ground must add to zero, so you just need to form a node equation for the supernode using KCL: V1/2 + V2/4 + V3/3 = 0

Notice that you don't need to form an equation involving the upper 6 ohm resistor; the voltages at the three nodes are completely independent of that resistor (because it's connected across a couple of voltage sources which are in series). However, once you have the node voltages you can calculate the current in the top 6 ohm resistor.

Thanks for that Electrician. Joining the two voltage sources into a super duper node makes things much easier.

Related to Solving Complex Circuits: Need Help With Current Direction

1. What are the basic principles of solving complex circuits?

The basic principles of solving complex circuits involve understanding Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and basic circuit analysis techniques such as series and parallel circuits.

2. How do I determine the current direction in a complex circuit?

To determine the current direction in a complex circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving that node.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex circuits?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving complex circuits include forgetting to include all components in the circuit, not properly labeling the direction of current flow, and not double-checking calculations for accuracy.

4. What are the steps to solving a complex circuit?

The steps to solving a complex circuit include drawing the circuit diagram, identifying the known and unknown quantities, applying Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, and using algebraic methods to solve for the unknown values.

5. How can I check my answer when solving a complex circuit?

You can check your answer when solving a complex circuit by using a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at various points in the circuit and comparing them to your calculated values. Additionally, you can use simulation software to verify your results.