Solving for ds/dt: Is the Answer C?

• Thread starter Arun Raja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the correct answer for a given velocity graph by using basic kinematic equations and understanding the relationship between acceleration, velocity, and position. The suggested approach is to play around with the equations and use the information from the graph to make an informed decision. This process can be aided by assuming a constant acceleration and considering the shape of the velocity and position curves.
Arun Raja

Homework Statement

http://puu.sh/c0mFR/515cf5fd15.png

Homework Equations

ds/dt=dv

The Attempt at a Solution

I think answer is C by observation.
Is it correct? if not what is the answer[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You make an unsupported (by formula or calculation) guess and then ask for the answer? I don't think so.

You might consider some of the basic kinematic equations relating acceleration to velocity to position. The velocity graph consists of straight line segments, what does that tell you about the form of equation that would fit them?

Play around with the basics to get a feel for it. For example, assume a constant acceleration so that v = a*t. What's the shape of the velocity curve? The position curve? Can you apply what you find out here?

Related to Solving for ds/dt: Is the Answer C?

1. What does "ds/dt" mean in this equation?

"ds/dt" is the mathematical notation for the derivative of a function "s" with respect to time "t." It represents the rate of change of the function "s" over time.

2. How do you solve for "ds/dt"?

To solve for "ds/dt," you need to use the rules of differentiation. Take the derivative of the function "s" with respect to time "t" and simplify the resulting expression.

3. What does it mean when "ds/dt" is equal to "C"?

When "ds/dt" is equal to "C," it means that the rate of change of the function "s" with respect to time "t" is constant and equal to the value of "C."

4. How can I check if my solution for "ds/dt" is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, then it is a valid solution for "ds/dt."

5. Can "ds/dt" have different values at different points in time?

Yes, "ds/dt" can have different values at different points in time. This is because the rate of change of a function can vary over time, resulting in different values for "ds/dt" at different points.