Solving for Mass in a Spring Scale Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular velocity and speed, as well as the use of a spring to measure a person's weight. The main topic is finding an expression for the mass using the given information.
bodensee9
Hello:

If a person rides on a wheel that has the same speed throughout rotation. Does this mean that magnitude of angular velocity is same throughout rotation? I think if the wheel has the same speed, then the centripetal force is equivalent throughout rotation.

Now, the person decides to carry a spring to weigh himself. The maximum of the spring reads X, and the minimum reads Y.

So, wouldn't I have:

w = angular velocity
N = normal
R = radius of wheel
-N - mg = -mw^2*R (at top)
N - mg = mw^2*R (at bottom)

So, N top = mw^2*R - mg, N bottom = mw^2*R + mg? And N top = Y, and N bottom = X. I am supposed to find m, but somehow there's something wrong with this equation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the problem as stated?

Yes it is. I think mv^2/R would be the same both top and bottom because your speed is the same, no? Thanks.

bodensee9 said:
Yes it is. I think mv^2/R would be the same both top and bottom because your speed is the same, no? Thanks.

If the wheel is rotating at the same speed, then yes, that is a question that answers itself from what you've given.
If your problem is to find an expression for m ...

Then you also need to consider that F = k*x such that

kΔX = ΔF = mg + m*ω2r - (mg - m*ω2r)

Then express as m?

Hello:
I'm sorry, but what is F= kx? I thought that was the force that causes a displacement of a spring? Thanks.

bodensee9 said:
Hello:
I'm sorry, but what is F= kx? I thought that was the force that causes a displacement of a spring? Thanks.

It is. The displacement of the spring at the bottom is X, at the top it is Y. The Δdisplacement of the spring reading they give you then is (X - Y). And this means the ΔForce is the Force at the Bottom minus the Force it reads at the Top.

You can write then

ΔF = kΔX = mg + m*ω2r - (mg - m*ω2r) = 2*m*ω2r = k*(X - Y)

You can rearrange for m.

FAQ: Solving for Mass in a Spring Scale Experiment

1. What is the Angular Speed Wheel Problem?

The Angular Speed Wheel Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the angular speed of a wheel when given the linear speed and radius of the wheel.

2. How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed is calculated by dividing the linear speed of an object by the radius of its circular motion. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

3. What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed point, while linear speed is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second (rad/s), while linear speed is measured in meters per second (m/s).

4. What are the units of angular speed?

The units of angular speed are radians per second (rad/s). However, it can also be expressed in revolutions per minute (rpm) or degrees per second (deg/s).

5. How can the Angular Speed Wheel Problem be applied in real life?

The Angular Speed Wheel Problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the angular speed of a car's wheels to determine its speed, or calculating the angular speed of a spinning fan to determine its rotation rate. It is also used in the design and analysis of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts.

Back