Solving for Velocity over Time: A Calculus Challenge

In summary, the problem involves finding the velocity as a function of time using calculus. The main issue is understanding the correct substitution and limits of integration. The correct substitution is u = g + αv' and the corresponding new limits are u = g and u = g + αv.
Radarithm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[tex]F=-mg-m\alpha v[/tex][tex]F=m\frac{dv}{dt} =[/tex]
[tex]\int_0^v \frac{dv'}{g+\alpha v'} = -\int_0^t dt'[/tex]
This equals:
[tex]\ln \frac{1+\alpha v}{g} = -\alpha t[/tex]

I don't understand why it does; I keep getting an incorrect answer. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let [tex]u=g+\alpha v'[/tex][tex]du=g+vdv[/tex] so [itex]du-g=vdv[/itex]
[tex]-g+\int_0^v udu = \ln (g+\alpha v)-g[/tex]
This has to do with getting the velocity as a function of time; I don't know if it should be in the physics section or not but this is a problem I'm having with calculus.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Radarithm said:

Homework Statement

[tex]F=mg-m\alpha v[/tex][tex]F=m\frac{dv}{dt} =[/tex]
This equals:

I don't understand why it does; I keep getting an incorrect answer. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Homework Equations

This has to do with getting the velocity as a function of time; I don't know if it should be in the physics section or not but this is a problem I'm having with calculus.

Is ##F=mg-m\alpha v## or ##F=mg+m\alpha v## ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Is ##F=mg-m\alpha v## or ##F=mg+m\alpha v## ?

[tex]F=-mg-m\alpha[/tex]

Radarithm said:

Homework Statement

[tex]F=-mg-m\alpha v[/tex][tex]F=m\frac{dv}{dt} =[/tex]
This equals:

Homework Equations

This makes no sense. You chose to use v' as the variable of integration. Why does it become v when you find du? Also g is a constant so its derivative is 0. If [itex]u= g+ \alpha v'[/itex] then [itex]du= \alpha dv'[/itex] so that [itex]dv'= du/\alpha[/itex]
[tex]\int_0^v \frac{dv'}{g+ \alpha v'}= \frac{1}{\alpha}\int_g^{g+\alpha v} \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
This makes no sense. You chose to use v' as the variable of integration. Why does it become v when you find du? Also g is a constant so its derivative is 0. If [itex]u= g+ \alpha v'[/itex] then [itex]du= \alpha dv'[/itex] so that [itex]dv'= du/\alpha[/itex]
[tex]\int_0^v \frac{dv'}{g+ \alpha v'}= \frac{1}{\alpha}\int_g^{g+\alpha v} \frac{du}{u}[/tex]

Why do the limits of integration change from [itex]0 \to v(t)[/itex] to [itex]g \to g+\alpha v[/itex] ?

Radarithm said:
Why do the limits of integration change from [itex]0 \to v(t)[/itex] to [itex]g \to g+\alpha v[/itex] ?

Because the variable of integration has changed from v' to u .

Use the relation between v' and u (u=g+αv') to find the corresponding new limits .

When v' = 0 → u = g (lower limit)
When v' = v → u = g+αv (upper limit)

Likes 1 person
Because you changed variables from v' to [itex]u= g+ \alpha v'[/itex]. When v'= 0, [itex]u= g+ \alpha(0)= g[/itex] and when v'= v, [itex]u= g+ \alpha v[/itex].

Likes 1 person
edit: double posted. sorry

Tanya Sharma said:
Because the variable of integration has changed from v' to u .

Use the relation between v' and u (u=g+αv') to find the corresponding new limits .

When v' = 0 → u = g (lower limit)
When v' = v → u = g+αv (upper limit)

HallsofIvy said:
Because you changed variables from v' to [itex]u= g+ \alpha v'[/itex]. When v'= 0, [itex]u= g+ \alpha(0)= g[/itex] and when v'= v, [itex]u= g+ \alpha v[/itex].

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

FAQ: Solving for Velocity over Time: A Calculus Challenge

1. What is the formula for solving velocity over time using calculus?

The formula for solving velocity over time using calculus is v(t) = integral of a(t) dt + v0, where v(t) represents the velocity at a given time, a(t) represents the acceleration, and v0 represents the initial velocity.

2. How is calculus used to solve for velocity over time?

Calculus is used to solve for velocity over time by taking the integral of the acceleration function with respect to time. This results in the velocity function, which can then be used to find the velocity at a specific time or to calculate displacement.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. In other words, average velocity represents the overall change in position, while instantaneous velocity represents the velocity at a specific point in time.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving for velocity over time using calculus?

Solving for velocity over time using calculus has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, calculating the speed of a moving object, and predicting the acceleration of a vehicle. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

5. Is calculus the only way to solve for velocity over time?

No, calculus is not the only way to solve for velocity over time. Other methods, such as using kinematic equations or graphical analysis, can also be used to find velocity. However, calculus is often preferred as it allows for more precise and accurate calculations.

Back