Solving Inequality: 0 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x - 10

• MHB
  • Thread starter ATroelstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, to solve the inequality x3 <= 7x3 - 24x2 + 6x - 10, it was worked out to 10 <= 6x(x2 - 4x + 1). It was then suggested to solve for the left-hand side and use the real roots of the cubic equation to determine intervals to test. However, since the inequality does not factor easily, using technology may be necessary to find the real root(s). It was also noted that shifting the constant to the other side is not helpful and that dividing by a positive number can simplify the inequality.
ATroelstein
I am trying to solve the following inequality:

x3 <= 7x3 - 24x2 + 6x - 10

I have worked it out as follows:

0 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x - 10

10 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x

10 <= 6x(x2 - 4x + 1)

At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed and I'm not sure if the factoring on the last step was helpful. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ATroelstein said:

10 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x

10 <= 6x(x2 - 4x + 1)

At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed and I'm not sure if the factoring on the last step was helpful. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would leave it in the form below and solve the LHS and use the real roots of the cubic equation to get intervals to test on.
$6x^3 - 24x^2+ 6x - 10 \geq 0$
$3x^3 - 12x^2+3x-5 \geq 0$

It doesn't look like this one factors easily so you might have to use technology to find the real root(s)

ATroelstein said:

You are fine to here.

10 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x
There is never any good reason to shift that constant to the other side. Knowing that "xy= A" where A is non-zero doesn't tell you anything.
Instead, not that you can divide both sides by the positive number, 2, to get 0<= 3x3- 12x2+ 3x- 5

Now, the only possible rational roots are 5, -5, 1/3, -1/2, 5/3, and -5/3 and it is easy to that none of those are roots. The only root is irrational. Graphing gives a root just a little larger than -1. And the inequality is true for x less than that number.

10 <= 6x(x2 - 4x + 1)

FAQ: Solving Inequality: 0 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x - 10

What is the meaning of inequality?

Inequality is a mathematical expression that compares two values and indicates that one value is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other value.

How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign and simplify the other side. Then, you can use the properties of inequality to determine the possible values for the variable.

What is the difference between solving an equation and solving an inequality?

Solving an equation means finding the value of the variable that makes both sides of the equation equal. Solving an inequality means finding the values of the variable that make the inequality true.

What are the steps to solve the inequality 0 <= 6x3 - 24x2 + 6x - 10?

The steps to solve this inequality are:
1. Simplify the expression on the right side by combining like terms.
2. Isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign.
3. Use the properties of inequality to determine the possible values for the variable.
4. Write the solution in interval notation or set notation.

How can solving inequalities be applied in real life?

Solving inequalities can be applied in real life situations such as budgeting, determining the maximum or minimum value in a business, and finding the possible range of values in scientific experiments. It can also be used to compare data and make predictions based on the relationships between variables.