Solving Problems After 55: "I Saw a Problem

• Thread starter CWatters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving trains leaving a station at different intervals and looking for a time when they will leave together again. The simplest way to solve it is by finding the least common multiple of the intervals, which in this case is 60 minutes. The conversation also mentions a more general case and the use of unknown integers in solving it.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I saw a problem the other day that belongs to a class of problems that I have forgotten how to solve (I'm 55). It went like this..

Trains leave a station every 15mins and every 20 mins. The first two leave together at 9.10am. Do any others leave at the same time and when is the next time?

The simple way to solve it is just to write down the two sequences...

15mins: 9.10 9.25 9.40 9.55 10.10 etc
20mins: 9.10 9.30 9.50 10.10 etc

and note that they match again at 10.10am

Clearly that works for this problem but there must be a better way. I just can't seem to figure out how to do the general case. For example you could assume there is a match at some time ΔT after 9.10 then write...

ΔT = n*15 = m*20

where n and m are unknown integers. But that's one equation with two unknowns.

I half remember that ΔT must be a multiple of |n-m| or something like that but I think that just adds another unknown integer to the mix.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking of Diophantine equations?

In this case, you can break it into prime factors:

3*5*n = 2*2*5*m

3*n = 4*m. Hence n=4 and m=3

Just a guess

The simplest way to deal with this is "least common multiple" of 15 and 20. 15= 3*5 and 20= 4*5 so the least common multiple is 3*4*5= 60 minutes. Two trains leave together 10 minutes after every hour.

Likes CWatters and jedishrfu
Thanks HallsofIvy. That's exactly what I was trying to remember.

Related to Solving Problems After 55: "I Saw a Problem

1. How do I stay motivated to solve problems after 55?

Staying motivated to solve problems after 55 can be challenging, but it is important to remember the benefits of problem-solving, such as improving cognitive function and maintaining a sense of purpose. It may also help to set small, achievable goals and celebrate your progress.

2. What are some effective problem-solving strategies for older adults?

Some effective problem-solving strategies for older adults include breaking the problem down into smaller, manageable tasks, seeking advice and support from others, and using past experiences and knowledge to come up with potential solutions. It may also be helpful to take breaks and approach the problem from a different angle.

3. How can I overcome any age-related barriers to problem-solving?

Age-related barriers to problem-solving can include cognitive decline and physical limitations. To overcome these barriers, it is important to adapt and modify problem-solving techniques to fit your abilities. This could include using assistive technology or asking for help from family members or professionals.

4. How can I use problem-solving to improve my overall well-being after 55?

Problem-solving can have a positive impact on overall well-being after 55 by promoting mental stimulation, fostering a sense of accomplishment, and improving self-confidence. It can also be a way to stay socially connected and maintain a sense of purpose in life.

5. What are some common challenges faced by older adults when solving problems?

Some common challenges faced by older adults when solving problems include memory loss, slower processing speed, and difficulty adapting to new situations. It is important to be patient with yourself and use strategies to work around these challenges, such as writing things down or seeking assistance from others.