Solving Supply & Demand Equations - Get the Price You Need!

• MHB
  • Thread starter GangsterWaffle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supply
In summary, the equation p=D(q)=24-1.25(q) is an approximation for supply and demand problems where p is the price and q is the demand. It assumes that the price will decrease as the demand increases and is not feasible for extreme quantities. For example, if the demand for 200 balloons, the price would be -226, but this is not a realistic scenario.
GangsterWaffle
Hi,

I'm lost when it comes to doing an equation for supply and demand problems.

If I have p=D(q)=24-1.25(q) where p is the price and q the demand, I don't understand how I get the price based on demand. So, for example, if the demand(q) is 200 balloons, I would think it's:

p=24-1.25(200)

But that would mean 24-250 or -226. So, the price for a demand of 200 balloons would be -226? I'm clearly not understanding something but I don't know what.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
adamappleby said:
Hi,

I'm lost when it comes to doing an equation for supply and demand problems.

If I have p=D(q)=24-1.25(q) where p is the price and q the demand, I don't understand how I get the price based on demand. So, for example, if the demand(q) is 200 balloons, I would think it's:

p=24-1.25(200)

But that would mean 24-250 or -226. So, the price for a demand of 200 balloons would be -226? I'm clearly not understanding something but I don't know what.

Thanks for any help.

Hi adamappleby! Welcome to MHB! :)

The issue will be that such an equation is only an approximation.
What it appears to say, is that if you order more balloons, you can get them at a discount.
The assumption would be that it is not feasible to buy so many balloons that the equation would give a negative price.

Furthermore, I suspect that those numbers will probably be thousands or millions of balloons.
So if you buy for instance 2 million balloons, you can get them at a price of, say, 21.5 thousand dollars.

Related to Solving Supply & Demand Equations - Get the Price You Need!

What is the purpose of solving supply and demand equations?

Solving supply and demand equations helps determine the equilibrium price and quantity in a market, which is where the quantity supplied equals the quantity demanded. This information is important for businesses to make decisions on pricing and production, and for consumers to make informed choices on purchasing.

What are the basic steps for solving supply and demand equations?

The basic steps for solving supply and demand equations include: 1) writing out the supply and demand equations, 2) setting the equations equal to each other, 3) solving for the equilibrium quantity, and 4) substituting the equilibrium quantity into one of the equations to solve for the equilibrium price.

What factors can shift the supply and demand curves?

The supply and demand curves can be shifted by various factors such as changes in consumer preferences, income levels, technology, input costs, and government policies. These shifts can cause changes in the equilibrium price and quantity.

What happens when the supply and demand curves intersect?

When the supply and demand curves intersect, it represents the equilibrium point where the quantity supplied equals the quantity demanded. This is the most efficient point in the market where there is no surplus or shortage of goods or services.

What is the significance of finding the equilibrium price and quantity?

Finding the equilibrium price and quantity is important for businesses to determine the optimal price and production level to maximize profits. It also helps consumers make informed decisions on purchasing goods or services. Additionally, it can provide insight into market trends and potential changes in the future.