Solving the Last Practice Problem: A Coast Guard Challenge

• Thread starter anuman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the conversation discussed a student struggling with a practice problem for an upcoming exam. The problem involved finding the components and magnitude of a vector from a distress call to a boat. The student attempted to solve the problem using trigonometry, but was advised to draw a diagram and use vector addition instead of subtraction.
anuman
I'm studying for an exam and can't seem to get this last practice problem! I've tried many ways but still keep getting the wrong answer. The professor has already given us the correct answer to the problems, but I want to know HOW to do it for the exam! Thanks in advance :)

A boat radioed a distress call to a Coast Guard station. At the time of the call, a vector A from the station to the boat had a magnitude of 45.0 km and was directed 15.0° east of north. A vector from the station to the point where the boat was later found is B = 30.0 km, 15.0° north of east.

12. What are the components of the vector from the point where the distress call was made to the point where the boat was found? In other words, what are the components of vector C = B - A?

x component y component
A)17.3 km, east 35.7 km, south
B)35.7 km, west 17.4 km, north
C)40.6 km, east 51.2 km, south
D)17.3 km, west 51.2 km, south
E)40.6 km, east 35.7 km, north

13. How far did the boat travel from the point where the distress call was made to the point where the boat was found? In other words, what is the magnitude of vector C?
A)65.3 km B)39.7 km C)26.5 km D)54.0 km E)42.5 km

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you attempt the problem?

Did you first resolve each of the given vectors into their two components?

You should show us your attempt at the problem so we can see where you may have gone wrong.

This is how I attempted it...I have been in the hospital for a while so I don't have class notes.

45sin15=11.64 30sin15=7.76
45cos15=43.46 30cos1515=28.97

11.64+7.76=19.4 y-component
43.46+28.97=72.43 x-component

anuman said:
This is how I attempted it...I have been in the hospital for a while so I don't have class notes.

45sin15=11.64 30sin15=7.76
45cos15=43.46 30cos1515=28.97

11.64+7.76=19.4 y-component
43.46+28.97=72.43 x-component

Careful. Draw a diagram.

I don't think the terms combine in the way that you attempted.

The first vector is 15° to the right of North. This could also be written as 75° north of East if it would help you not to mix the Sines and Cosines.

Also you did a vector addition not a subtraction.

The easiest way to subtract is to add the inverse of the second vector.

Related to Solving the Last Practice Problem: A Coast Guard Challenge

1. How did you come up with the solution for the last practice problem?

The solution for the last practice problem was developed through a combination of research, analysis, and problem-solving techniques. We carefully studied the problem and applied our knowledge and expertise in the field to come up with the most effective solution.

2. What challenges did you face while solving the last practice problem?

There were several challenges we faced while solving the last practice problem. These included limited resources, time constraints, and the complexity of the problem itself. However, we were able to overcome these challenges by working together as a team and using our critical thinking skills.

3. Can you explain the steps you took to solve the last practice problem?

The steps we took to solve the last practice problem included identifying the problem, conducting research, analyzing data, brainstorming possible solutions, and testing and refining our solution. We also collaborated with other experts in the field and sought feedback from peers to ensure the effectiveness of our solution.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy and reliability of your solution?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of our solution, we followed the scientific method and conducted rigorous testing and validation. We also consulted with other experts in the field and incorporated their feedback into our solution. Additionally, we used reliable data and sources to support our solution.

5. What impact do you hope your solution will have on the Coast Guard challenge?

We hope that our solution will have a positive impact on the Coast Guard challenge by providing a practical and effective solution that can be implemented in real-world situations. Our goal is to help improve the Coast Guard's ability to handle emergency situations and protect the safety of individuals and the environment.