Solving Trig Identities: Tips for Getting Unstuck

In summary, the conversation covers tips for solving three identities involving trigonometric functions. The first one can be simplified using sines and cosines, while the second one can be solved by applying the identities for cube sums. The last one can be solved by using the double angle identities for sine and cosine.
cscott
I can't get anywhere with these three identities. Any tips?

[tex]\frac{(\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2 + 1}{\csc \theta(\sec \theta - \tan \theta)} = 2 \tan \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sin^3 \theta + \cos^3 \theta}{\sin \theta + \cos \theta} = 1 - \sin \theta\cos \theta[/tex]

[tex](2a\sin \theta\cos \theta)^2 + a^2(\cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta)^2 = a^2[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The third one is pretty obvious a (remember the double angle identities!)
[tex] \sin^{2} \theta + \cos^{2} \theta = 1 [/tex]
For the second one remember
[tex] a^3 + b^3 = (a+b)(a^2 -ab + b^2) [/tex]

Last edited:
I was trying to think a simpler way for the first one, but it all occurs to me now is to

[tex] \frac{(\sec \theta - \tan \theta)}{\csc \theta} + \frac{1}{\csc \theta (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)} = 2 \tan \theta [/tex]

then work it out with sines and cosines.

Thanks for the tips so far. I got second one.

For the first, I had simplified it to that already and tried sines and cosines but I'll try again.

For the last, is there any way to get to the answer from

[tex]2a^2 + a^2 \sin^4 \theta + a^2 \cos^4 \theta[/tex]

doesn't seem so...

Last edited:
For the last one is basicly applying
[tex] \sin 2 \theta = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] \cos 2 \theta = \cos^{2} \theta - \sin^{2} \theta [/tex]
[tex] \sin^{2} 2 \theta + \cos^{2} 2 \theta = 1 [/tex]

Cyclovenom said:
For the last one is basicly applying
[tex] \sin 2 \theta = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] \cos 2 \theta = \cos^{2} \theta - \sin^{2} \theta [/tex]
[tex] \sin^{2} 2 \theta + \cos^{2} 2 \theta = 1 [/tex]

I've never used those identities before, no wonder I didn't know what was going on :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help

Well, here are their proof
[tex] \sin (a+b) = \sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b [/tex]
[tex] \sin (\theta + \theta) = \sin \theta \cos \theta + \cos \theta \sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] \sin (2\theta) = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] \cos (a+b) = \cos a \cos b - \sin a \sin b [/tex]
[tex] \cos (\theta + \theta) = \cos\theta \cos \theta - \sin \theta \sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] \cos (2\theta) = \cos^{2}\theta - \sin^{2} \theta[/tex]

Cyclovenom said:
Well, here are their proof
[tex] \sin (a+b) = \sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b [/tex]
[tex] \sin (\theta + \theta) = \sin \theta \cos \theta + \cos \theta \sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] \sin (2\theta) = 2 \sin \theta \cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] \cos (a+b) = \cos a \cos b - \sin a \sin b [/tex]
[tex] \cos (\theta + \theta) = \cos\theta \cos \theta - \sin \theta \sin \theta [/tex]
[tex] \cos (2\theta) = \cos^{2}\theta - \sin^{2} \theta[/tex]

Aha! Thanks again :smile:

Related to Solving Trig Identities: Tips for Getting Unstuck

1. What are some common mistakes when solving trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes when solving trigonometric identities include forgetting to use the Pythagorean identities, not simplifying expressions fully, and not using reciprocal and quotient identities correctly.

2. How can I make solving trigonometric identities easier?

One tip for making solving trigonometric identities easier is to have a list of identities and formulas on hand for reference. Another tip is to break down the problem into smaller steps and solve each step individually.

3. What are some strategies for getting unstuck when solving trigonometric identities?

Some strategies for getting unstuck when solving trigonometric identities include trying different approaches, using trigonometric identities and formulas, and checking for common mistakes.

4. How can I check my answers when solving trigonometric identities?

You can check your answers when solving trigonometric identities by plugging in values for the variables and simplifying the expressions on both sides of the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the original expression and the simplified expression to see if they are equivalent.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving trigonometric identities?

Solving trigonometric identities is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two objects. It is also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in the design and construction of buildings and structures.