Spring and slide block problem

In summary, the 5.0 kg block slides along a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction µk = 0.30. When it strikes a massless spring head-on (as in the figure), the block is initially traveling at a speed of 2.1 m/s. If the spring has a force constant of k = 120 N/m, the spring is compressed to a distance of 0.323 m. If µs is less than this value, the block will detach from the decompressing spring.
Bones

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg block slides along a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction µk = 0.30. The block has a speed v = 2.1 m/s when it strikes a massless spring head-on (as in the figure).
http://www.webassign.net/gianpse4/8-18.gif
(a) If the spring has force constant k = 120 N/m, how far is the spring compressed?
(b) What minimum value of the coefficient of static friction, µs, will assure that the spring remains compressed at the maximum compressed position?
If µs is less than this, what is the speed of the block when it detaches from the decompressing spring? [Hint: Detachment occurs when the spring reaches its natural length (x = 0).]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) -1/2(5.0kg)(2.1m/s)^2 + 1/2(120N/m)(x^2) = (0.30)(5.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)(cos 180)(x)
x=0.323m
b) I took u(5.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.323m)(cos 180) = -1/2(120N/m)(0.323m)^2 which is not correct. Can someone help me get the correct equation??

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help, I am really stuck!

Any help at all would be appreciated ;)

Bones said:

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg block slides along a horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction µk = 0.30. The block has a speed v = 2.1 m/s when it strikes a massless spring head-on (as in the figure).
http://www.webassign.net/gianpse4/8-18.gif
(a) If the spring has force constant k = 120 N/m, how far is the spring compressed?
(b) What minimum value of the coefficient of static friction, µs, will assure that the spring remains compressed at the maximum compressed position?
If µs is less than this, what is the speed of the block when it detaches from the decompressing spring? [Hint: Detachment occurs when the spring reaches its natural length (x = 0).]

3. The Attempt at a Solution
a) -1/2(5.0kg)(2.1m/s)^2 + 1/2(120N/m)(x^2) = (0.30)(5.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)(cos 180)(x)
x=0.323m

b) I took u(5.0kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.323m)(cos 180) = -1/2(120N/m)(0.323m)^2 which is not correct. Can someone help me get the correct equation??

For a) I would write your equation as the KE of the mass = the work to compress the spring and the work against friction:

mV2/2 = kx2/2 + u*m*g*x

That yields for me 600x2 + 14.7x - 11.025 = 0

Using the quadratic formula that yields a different answer than you suggest.

For b) draw a force diagram.

The F = kx needs to balance the us*m*g

How did you get 600x^2 from 120x^2/2??

Bones said:
How did you get 600x^2 from 120x^2/2??

Sorry. Of course it is 60x2.

And that yields your .323 m

I am still not getting part B.

Bones said:
I am still not getting part B.

If it is at equilibrium then the frictional force (using the static coefficient) must be equal to or greater than the kx from the spring detent:

F = kx needs to balance the us*m*g

You were attempting to use the work relationship when you were asked what condition needed to be met for the forces to balance.

You would use the work energy relationship figuring the transfer of potential in the spring back to the kinetic and friction for the outward rebound.

Last edited:
So umgx=1/2kx^2?

Bones said:
So umgx=1/2kx^2?

No. Not quite.

The excess of that is the kinetic energy remaining in the block.

mV2/2 = kx2/2 - u*m*g*x

Don't forget to answer the static coefficient part of the problem.

How do I figure that part out?

Bones said:
How do I figure that part out?

I've already told you. Look back at the earlier posts.

So umg=1/2kx^2

Bones said:

So umg=1/2kx^2

No. 1/2 k*x2 is WORK. Units are N-m

u*m*g is Force. Units are N.

The force of a spring is given as F = kx. Units are N.

So it's u*m*g = k*x

Thank you!

Bones said:
Thank you!

No problem then.

Cheers.

Related to Spring and slide block problem

1. What is the "spring and slide block problem"?

The "spring and slide block problem" is a classic physics problem that involves a block resting on a horizontal surface that is attached to a spring. The spring is then compressed or stretched, causing the block to slide along the surface. The goal is to determine the block's motion and position at different points in time.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving the "spring and slide block problem"?

The key concepts involved in solving the "spring and slide block problem" include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and Hooke's law. Newton's laws of motion help in understanding the forces acting on the block, while conservation of energy allows for the calculation of the block's velocity and position at different points in time. Hooke's law helps in determining the force exerted by the spring on the block.

3. How do you calculate the block's position and velocity at different points in time?

To calculate the block's position and velocity at different points in time, you will need to use the equations of motion. These equations take into account the forces acting on the block, such as the force of gravity and the force exerted by the spring. By solving these equations, you can determine the block's position and velocity at any given time.

4. What factors affect the motion of the block in the "spring and slide block problem"?

The motion of the block in the "spring and slide block problem" is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the spring constant, the initial compression or stretch of the spring, and any external forces acting on the block, such as friction. These factors can impact the block's acceleration, velocity, and position at different points in time.

5. How can the "spring and slide block problem" be applied in real-world scenarios?

The "spring and slide block problem" can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as understanding the motion of a car's suspension system, analyzing the motion of a mass attached to a spring in a vibrating system, or calculating the behavior of a spring in a pogo stick. It is also commonly used in physics classrooms to help students understand and apply the concepts of energy and motion.