Spring on inclined plane with a Block

In summary, a block of mass 4 kg is held at rest on a spring with a spring constant of 500 N/m and compressed by a distance AB. When released, it reaches point B with a velocity of 5 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is 0.15. The problem asks to determine the compression of the spring and the distance traveled by the block to stop at point C. The equations used are ∑Fy = m*ay, Fk = μk * N, Wi->f = F(cos(angle)*DELTA X), and Ugi + Uei + (Wi->f) + 1/2 *m*vi2 = Ugf +
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 4 kg, is held at rest on a spring (point A), spring constant k =
500 N / m, compressed by a distance AB = .DELTA.L as shown in Figure 3. When the block is freed ,
it reaches the point B ( non-deformed position of the spring ) with a velocity of VB = 5 m / s. assume
the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is μk = 0.15 , determine :
a) compression of the spring ;
b) the distance traveled by the block to stop, point C (measured from point B);

Problem original drawing:
http://i.imgur.com/i98xq8J.png

Homework Equations

∑Fy = m*ay
Fk = μk * N
Wi->f = F(cos(angle)*DELTA X)
Ugi + Uei + (Wi->f) + 1/2 *m*vi2 = Ugf + Uef + 1/2*m*vf2

The Attempt at a Solution

My drawing of the problem:
The spring become uncompressed at B.
http://i.imgur.com/Db1HwA0.jpg

v = speed (m/s)

∑Fy = m*ay
ay = 0 // m = 4kg
N - W*cos(35) = m*ay => N - (4*9.81)*cos(35) = 4*0
N = 32.1435N

Fk = μk * N
Fk = 0.15 * 32.1435N
Fk = 4.82153N

Wi->f = 4.82153N(cos(35)*DELTA X)

Ugi = 0J
Uei = 1/2 * K * Xsf2
1/2 *m*vi2 = 0 since speed initial is 0m/s
Ugf = m*g*hf = 4Kg*9.81* hf*sin(35)
Uef = 0J
1/2*m*vf2 = 1/2*4Kg*5m/s2

I am stuck here... :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
masterchiefo said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 4 kg, is held at rest on a spring (point A), spring constant k =
500 N / m, compressed by a distance AB = .DELTA.L as shown in Figure 3. When the block is freed ,
it reaches the point B ( non-deformed position of the spring ) with a velocity of VB = 5 m / s. assume
the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is μk = 0.15 , determine :
a) compression of the spring ;
b) the distance traveled by the block to stop, point C (measured from point B);

Problem original drawing:
i98xq8J.png

Homework Equations

∑Fy = m*ay
Fk = μk * N

The Attempt at a Solution

My drawing of the problem:
The spring become uncompressed at B.
http://i.imgur.com/Db1HwA0.jpg

v = speed (m/s)

∑Fy = m*ay
ay = 0 // m = 4kg
N - W*cos(35) = m*ay => N - (4*9.81)*cos(35) = 4*0
N = 32.1435N

Fk = μk * N
Fk = 0.15 * 32.1435N
Fk = 4.82153N

Ugi = 0J
Uei = 1/2 * K * Xsf2
1/2 *m*vi2 = 0 since speed initial is 0m/s
Ugf = m*g*hf = 4Kg*9.81* hf*sin(35)
Uef = 0J
1/2*m*vf2 = 1/2*4Kg*5m/s2

I am stuck here... :(
You can post those links as images if they're not too large, like I did with one of yours

Otherwise, download them to your own file system, then upload to PF & show a thumbnail.

Related to Spring on inclined plane with a Block

1. What is the purpose of studying the spring on inclined plane with a block?

The purpose of studying this system is to understand the behavior and dynamics of a block moving on an inclined plane when a spring is attached to it. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as energy conservation and simple harmonic motion.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the block?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the gravitational force acting on the block, which in turn affects its acceleration. As the angle increases, the component of the gravitational force pulling the block down the inclined plane also increases, resulting in a faster acceleration.

3. What is the role of the spring in this system?

The spring provides a restoring force that opposes the motion of the block. As the block moves down the inclined plane, the spring is compressed, storing potential energy. When the block moves back up the inclined plane, the spring releases this potential energy, causing the block to oscillate back and forth.

4. How does the mass of the block affect the motion of the system?

The mass of the block affects the acceleration of the system. According to Newton's second law, the greater the mass of the block, the greater the force required to accelerate it. This means that a heavier block will have a slower acceleration compared to a lighter block on the same inclined plane with the same spring.

5. What factors affect the period of oscillation in this system?

The period of oscillation, or the time it takes for the block to complete one full cycle of motion, is affected by the mass of the block, the spring constant of the spring, and the angle of the inclined plane. A heavier block will have a longer period, a stiffer spring will have a shorter period, and a smaller angle of the inclined plane will result in a shorter period.