Spring Pendulum - Lagrangian Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Euler-Lagrange equation to solve for the motion of a spring-mass system with potential and kinetic energies. The equations for the radial and angular directions are derived, and the concept of fixing the angular position and velocity is explained as an approximation for the short timescale of the motion. The error in the first term of the radial equation is noted and corrected.
bigguccisosa

Homework Statement

Please see attached image :)

Homework Equations

Euler-Lagrange Equation
[itex] \frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{q}} - \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial{L}}{\partial{\dot{q}}} = 0[/itex]
[itex] L = T - V[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. The potential energy V is the potential energy from the spring and the gravitational potential energy. The kinetic energy is the energy in the radial direction and in the theta direction.
[tex] L = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+\dot{\theta}^2(r_0+r)^2) + mg(r_0+r)cos\theta - \frac{1}{2}kr^2[/tex]

b. Use one Euler-Lagrange equation for r and one for theta and I get: [tex] m\dot{\theta}^2 + mgcos\theta - kr = \frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{r}) [/tex] [tex] -mg(r_0+r)sin\theta = \frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{\theta}(r_0+r)^2)[/tex]
Which are the F=ma equation for the radial direction and the Torque = (d/dt) Angular momentum equation.

c. Confused here, if angular position and velocity are to be fixed, I assume they mean [itex] \theta [/itex] and [itex] \dot{\theta}[/itex], do I consider them both to be zero, or just a constant number? And if the position is fixed doesn't that mean that the velocity should be zero? Is this a differential equation I have to solve?

d. and e. Need c to continue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks !

Attachments

• homework1.PNG
    homework1.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,111
Physics news on Phys.org
"Fixed" means "constant." The position and velocity aren't actually fixed (so ##\dot{\theta} \ne 0##), but because the timescale over which the radial motion occurs is so short, you can analyze the motion as if ##\theta## and ##\dot{\theta}## were constant. It's an approximation.

By the way, the first term in the radial differential equation is incorrect.

Thanks I must have missed a (r_0 + r) factor in the first term when I was putting it into tex, I'll give it a shot with theta and theta dot as constants.

Related to Spring Pendulum - Lagrangian Mechanics

1. What is a spring pendulum and how does it work?

A spring pendulum is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and allowed to oscillate under the influence of gravity. When the mass is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force that causes the mass to oscillate back and forth. This motion can be described by the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which take into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

2. What is the Lagrangian equation and how is it used in analyzing a spring pendulum?

The Lagrangian equation, also known as the Lagrange's equation of motion, is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of a system using its kinetic and potential energies. In the case of a spring pendulum, the Lagrangian equation can be used to determine the equations of motion and the behavior of the mass-spring system.

3. How does the length of the spring affect the period of a spring pendulum?

The length of the spring is directly related to the period (or the time it takes for one complete oscillation) of a spring pendulum. The longer the spring, the longer the period, and vice versa. This relationship is described by a simple formula: T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

4. Can a spring pendulum exhibit chaotic behavior?

Yes, under certain conditions, a spring pendulum can exhibit chaotic behavior. This means that small changes in the initial conditions of the system can lead to significantly different outcomes. This chaotic behavior is a result of the non-linear nature of the equations of motion for a spring pendulum.

5. How does the inclusion of damping affect the motion of a spring pendulum?

Damping, or the dissipation of energy, can significantly affect the motion of a spring pendulum. It can reduce the amplitude of the oscillations and cause the system to eventually come to a rest. Damping is often included in the equations of motion for a spring pendulum to account for the effects of friction or air resistance.