Square tubing calculation

• Thread starter MFW
  • Start date
MFW
How did you find PF?: Internet search

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I am a welder and machinist. I am building a roof over my patio. For design reasons I want to use 4 inch square tubing for columns and cross beams. Will the 4x4 sag over a 20 foot span. There will be approximately 600 pounds of roofing materials it will be supporting

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Did your city Building Department approve your plans?

Thanks for the reply, I talked to the county inspector and he said that it was legal to do what I want to do put I need to submit the drawings. I have drawn what I want, now trying to figure tubing size for structural integrity

MFW said:
4 inch square tubing
What is the material and the wall thickness? Can you upload a drawing (use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window)? What wind loading do you expect on this roof? How is it tied to your house?

My thought was hhs 4x4x3/16. Will be attached to the concrete pad with 1/2 inch concrete anchors (6×6×1/4 steel plates welded to the bottom of 4x4 columns. Will have to figure out the upload, not computer savvy hahaha. Basically 4 columns cover 12 ft wide x 19 ft long by 12 tall with 3 12 roof pitch. Metal roof and bracing about 700 pounds or less. Very little wind load because of surroundings and almost never any snow load being in the south

Back