State Dept Warns Students: Don't Discuss WikiLeaks on Social Media

In summary, the State Department has warned students at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs against discussing WikiLeaks on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. This warning comes from a former student of the school, who advised that such activities could jeopardize future employment opportunities, particularly those that require security clearances. While some may see this as a restriction on free speech, it is a reasonable precaution for individuals seeking careers that involve handling confidential information.
russ_watters said:
You misread my post: This isn't about whether Assange did anything right or wrong, but about whether those who show support for him are doing anything wrong. The "you" in that quote isn't Assange, it is the kids posting support for him on facebook.
I do not support Assange, but I do not support either how he is being targeted. He should be on interpol's red list for espionage or some other clear charge, not "sex crime".

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathnomalous said:
But that is only because the employer-employee relationship is seen as adversarial, when it does not need to be that way.
It's seen as adversarial by you and that's why it is necessary for them to protect themselves against you. That's what your opinion is based-on and ironically, you validate the point by saying that! Your logic is all twisted around.
Besides, I always thought going to college meant acquiring skills that would permit one to analyze sources, develop one's independent thinking, and form one's own opinions. Why waste years of my life developing that just to end up accepting whatever "The Man" wants me to accept?
Not posting every thought that pops into your head on Facebook doesn't have anything at all with controlling your thoughts. Perhaps in college, you will learn some of the following skills:

1. Picking your battles.
2. Doing what is necessary to be successful.
3. Teamwork.

russ_watters said:
Whether or not one thinks Wikileaks is doing good doesn't have anything to do with the fact that lack of respect for authority can harm one's prospects at employment. One is an opinion and the other is a practical reality and they are two completely separate issues.

There is a difference between respecting authority and being subservient to authority. In your practical reality, your employer has significant control over your life.

humanino said:
I do not support Assange, but I do not support either how he is being targeted. He should be on interpol's red list for espionage or some other clear charge, not "sex crime".

The women who allege those crimes are probably quite happy with the charges.

humanino said:
Be that as it may, you still misread my post. The "you" in my post was not Assange.

russ_watters said:
Whether or not one thinks Wikileaks is doing good doesn't have anything to do with the fact that lack of respect for authority can harm one's prospects at employment. One is an opinion and the other is a practical reality and they are two completely separate issues.

If you lack respect for authority, you're far more likely to be cheering on what Wikileaks is doing.

Gokul43201 said:
I guess this ought to apply just as well to all of us here that have been discussing this issue on this particular social network! Shouldn't all discussion on this matter be forbidden at PF, since it involves "making comments" about "confidential information"?
What does "forbidden" have to do with anything? Neither the quoted passage nor anyone else in this thread has suggested that anything be forbidden.

Mathnomalous said:
There is a difference between respecting authority and being subservient to authority.
Agreed.
In your practical reality, your employer has significant control over your life.
That's not even a little bit true.

lisab said:
If you lack respect for authority, you're far more likely to be cheering on what Wikileaks is doing.
Yes, but again, agreeing with Assange isn't what could damage your job prospects, posting on the internet that you agree with Assange is.

humanino said:
The Swede's insist the request to interrogate is sincere. Honestly I don't know Swedish law and apparently they have some weird ones. I just don't believe the circumstances. I have to give you that one humanino, a warrant for something called "surprise sex"? Would a normal person have Interpol involved, I doubt it. I still think Assange is scum of the Earth for the damage he's done and continues to do though.

lisab said:
The women who allege those crimes are probably quite happy with the charges.
It may very well be, but I challenge you to find a similar case ever on interpol red list. I personally failed. You may know that interpol spokesman declared "if it wasn't for a request from Sweden, we would not have changed the status of his warrant".
lisab said:
But one may also not cheer on what wikileaks is currently doing, and still believe that "authority" is not something automatic. The "authority" should clarify for what they want Assange, and I do want to see Assange answer questions (including his Sweden story, but that's second in importance). It is also a matter of credibility for the current government.

lisab said:
I've agreed with everything you've posted.

Evo said:
You do realize that in private industry that trade secrets are everywhere. If you were dumb enough to state online that you are a blabbermouth and your prospective employer sees that (you are aware that employers now hire companies that specialize in searching for posts by applicants?), you will be passed over. You'll never even know why you didn't get the job, or why you didn't even get an interview.

Ignorance is bliss, but I'd rather have a job.
Well, ... yes. I post what I do in order to get perspectives that might enlighten me. Still, I had a somewhat higher goal in mind. Eg., if one happens to believe in freedom of speech and openness and honesty and full disclosure and integrity and all of that stuff -- and one also happens to be really smart -- then maybe one might succeed without kowtowing to the status quo. Some people do and some people don't.

russ_watters said:
Yes, but again, agreeing with Assange isn't what could damage your job prospects, posting on the internet that you agree with Assange is.
Some will get it and some won't. Kind of like an intellectual Darwin Award. :-p

You are conflating respect for authority with agreeing with the actions of authority. It is possible to disagree with a law and still follow that law; it is possible to follow the orders issued by authority and disagree with those orders. Nuremberg Trials, anyone? What you are suggesting is that if I disagree with authority I am automatically disrespecting authority.

I'm a bit confused. Could someone just walk me through the logic?

What exactly happens if someone talks about the controversy on Facebook or Twitter? Is it illegal?

Is a student putting himself at more risk with an employer than if he FB'ed about the stupid cop that ticketed him for jaywalking?

I am not being facetious; I really am naive about the whole risk situation.

Mathnomalous said:
You are conflating respect for authority with agreeing with the actions of authority. It is possible to disagree with a law and still follow that law; it is possible to follow the orders issued by authority and disagree with those orders. Nuremberg Trials, anyone? What you are suggesting is that if I disagree with authority I am automatically disrespecting authority.
Your posts have been pretty clear that you disrespect authority, no?

Mathnomalous said:
In this particular case, if you agree with Assange that it is ok to steal and distribute classified documents, then you are most definitely disrespecting authority.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm a bit confused. Could someone just walk me through the logic?

What exactly happens if someone talks about the controversy on Facebook or Twitter? Is it illegal?
Again, no one said anything is forbidden/illegal.

The logic is this:
You agree with Assange and post online that there should be no secrets and it is ok to sabbotage organizations that try to have secrets. Then you try to get a job working for NorthrupGrumman. They google you and find out you have no interest in keeping secrets and decide it is too risky to give you a job where you might have to keep secrets.
Is a student putting himself at more risk with an employer than if he FB'ed about the stupid cop that ticketed him for jaywalking?
Absolutely!

Here's an article on the subject:
Employees have been fired when their employer construed their blog posts as sharing confidential information, making inappropriate comments about the company, or both. Posting company news, pictures, and even making positive comments about a company have cost bloggers their jobs.

How about job seekers? Can having a blog, a personal web site, or an account on a social networking site impact your job search, for better or for worse? It could. One blogger posted recently that he lies in interviews. That wouldn't thrill a prospective employer if they knew about it. Another job seeker's blog mentions that she loves to party all night, drinks to excess on a regular basis, and steals on occasion. Again, not a profile that would thrill most employers.
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/jobsearchblogs/a/jobsearchblog.htm

Evo said:
Your posts have been pretty clear that you disrespect authority, no?

And as a thinking man, you are aware there are many kinds of authority and many ways in which authority uses its power. I generally disrespect authority that uses its power in irresponsible and harmful ways, such as most modern governments. Teachers are another form of authority who use their power in constructive ways, and I generally respect them.

See? That was easy.

russ_watters said:
In this particular case, if you agree with Assange that it is ok to steal and distribute classified documents, then you are most definitely disrespecting authority.

In that case, you should go lock up all CIA, FBI, NSA, etc. employees since they are in the business of stealing and distributing classified documents owned by foreign governments. That looks to me like a disrespect of foreign authority and sovereignty. Ah, let me guess, it is ok if we do it to them, but unfair when it is done to us.

As far as I can tell, Assange received those documents. Just like any reporter, he is distributing information he received. You should go lock up most journalists, too.

russ_watters said:
According to the State Dept official cited in the link in the OP, posting any thoughts about Wikileaks on the internet is sufficient to damage your job prospects. Going strictly by that warning, we've got a number of threads running that are essentially inviting participants to hurt their future prospects by making a post.

russ_watters said:

There's not one mention in that blurb about political viewpoints.

Anyways, guys, this is like Thought Police stuff. You can't go around telling people that their desire to have and speak their own opinions about current issues is tantamount to a unilateral "disrespect for authority".

Holy Jesoosi Christoosi.

Mathnomalous said:
And as a thinking man, you are aware there are many kinds of authority and many ways in which authority uses its power. I generally disrespect authority that uses its power in irresponsible and harmful ways, such as most modern governments.
Right, you are so abused as a US citizen. :rolleyes:

Mathnomalous said:
In that case, you should go lock up all CIA, FBI, NSA, etc. employees since they are in the business of stealing and distributing classified documents owned by foreign governments. That looks to me like a disrespect of foreign authority and sovereignty. Ah, let me guess, it is ok if we do it to them, but unfair when it is done to us.
Welcome to real life.
As far as I can tell, Assange received those documents. Just like any reporter, he is distributing information he received. You should go lock up most journalists, too.
Most journalists aren't in the habit of publishing stolen documents.

Gokul43201 said:
According to the State Dept official cited in the link in the OP, posting any thoughts about Wikileaks on the internet is sufficient to damage your job prospects. Going strictly by that warning, we've got a number of threads running that are essentially inviting participants to hurt their future prospects by making a post.
Agreed.

Evo said:
Right, you are so abused as a US citizen. :rolleyes:

Even though most US citizens do encounter government abuse on a daily basis (local, state, federal) I do not have to be personally abused in order to say government authority is being used irresponsibly and in harmful ways. Take a look at: Iraq, Afghanistan, the Balkans, Nicaragua, Guatemala, etc.

It is something called human responsibility: the notion that I am responsible for the actions of my government, whether right or wrong, since I am allegedly the government.

DaveC426913 said:
There's not one mention in that blurb about political viewpoints.
True, but we're not having a discussion about political viewpoints.
Anyways, guys, this is like Thought Police stuff. You can't go around telling people that their desire to have and speak their own opinions about current issues is tantamount to a unilateral "disrespect for authority".
That's a misunderstanding of how freedom of speech works. Speech - even protected speech - sometimes has negative consequences and part of accepting the freedom is accepting the consequences.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to real life.

Yes, indeed. In real life even the government gets screwed. Deal with it, you would say, right?

russ_watters said:

Except when they do publish stolen documents, leaked information, etc. etc. etc. Pentagon Papers, Iran-Contra, Wikileaks... ...Bin Laden Determined to Strike US, Valerie Plame leak...

Evo said:
Some will get it and some won't. Kind of like an intellectual Darwin Award. :-p

Aaaahahahhahaha...that made me laugh...

russ_watters said:
Plenty of journalists have published stories based on classified information that was leaked to them by some government employee (e.g., Armitage + Novak). I don't know a single one that has been charged with espionage.

Gokul43201 said:
Plenty of journalists have published stories based on classified information that was leaked to them by some Government employee. I don't know a single one that has been charged with espionage.
Assange isn't considered a journalist though. He is being accused of wilfully retaining and dispersing illegally obtained classified government documents.

The Associated Press has come out and publicly stated that they have refused to publish the latest leak. It seems even the press are turning against Assange.

Gokul43201 said:
Plenty of journalists have published stories based on classified information that was leaked to them by some government employee (e.g., Armitage + Novak). I don't know a single one that has been charged with espionage.
On the fingers of one hand in the past 50 years. In any case, Daniel Ellsberg was tried, but acquitted for reasons not related to the merrit of the case.

This is all OT, though.

[edit] Disclaimer: please do not take this post to be a statement that I consider Assange a journalist. I do not.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
True, but we're not having a discussion about political viewpoints.
The article is about corporations becoming aware of how potential emplyees behave in ways that directly impact the corporation - slagging the company or lying in interviews.

That has nothing to do with someone's viewpoints on Wikileaks. At least, no more than a kid callin' a cop a pig. You could tell the kid he's got a unilateral issue with authority for that too, if you had a mind to. But why jump on the scare bandwagon?

russ_watters said:
That's a misunderstanding of how freedom of speech works. Speech - even protected speech - sometimes has negative consequences and part of accepting the freedom is accepting the consequences.
I said nothing about free speech. Don't put words in my mouth.

I can't believe PF members are promoting this attitude that people should muzzle themselves.

I get that anything you can say online could alway come back to bite you, but that's true of this this issue no more or less than anything else. I'm just shocked at PF members. I always saw PFers as more moderarate and sensible, and able to recognize this as the scare tactic it is.

You guys sound like the bitter old uncle, telling the kids that they better respect their elders, or else.

DaveC426913 said:
The article is about corporations becoming aware of how potential emplyees behave in ways that directly impact the corporation - slagging the company or lying in interviews.

That has nothing to do with someone's viewpoints on Wikileaks. At least, no more than a kid callin' a cop a pig. You could tell the kid he's got a unilateral issue with authority for that too, if you had a mind to. But why jump on the scare bandwagon?

I said nothing about free speech. Don't put words in my mouth.

I can't believe PF members are promoting this attitude that people should muzzle themselves.

I get that anything you can say online could alway come back to bite you, but that's true of this this issue no more or less than anything else. I'm just shocked at PF members. I always saw PFers as more moderarate and sensible, and able to recognize this as the scare tactic it is.

You guys sound like the bitter old uncle, telling the kids that they better respect their elders, or else.
Like I said..Darwin Award. The smarts ones will get it.

Evo said:
Like I said..Darwin Award. The smarts ones will get it.

What will they get?