Was Steve Jobs' Death Overshadowed by Silence on Ritchie's Passing?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: Reality check - no one is immortal.In summary, Apple's founder and mastermind, Steve Jobs, passed away due to pancreatic cancer at the age of 56. Jobs was well-known for his work as the founder of Apple and as the CEO of Pixar. His contributions to technology and the world will never be forgotten, and his death is a sad reminder of the power of cancer.
Proton Soup said:
i'm not surprised at all. there's a photo circulating of him looking like a concentration camp victim with a guy helping him stand. i guess some people may have an idea that if you're rich enough, you can buy whatever medical assistance you need to keep going. but unfortunately, we're just nowhere near that advanced yet.

I used to kind of think that too, until Bill Gates' mom died of breast cancer. Then I realized, oh wow...that crap can kill you, even if you have more money than God.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
I used to kind of think that too, until Bill Gates' mom died of breast cancer. Then I realized, oh wow...that crap can kill you, even if you have more money than God.

Unfortunately - that is the reality.

that guy changed my life. i could never use a computer until the mac came out. in fact by the same token he changed the world. before him, computers were only used by super geeks. he changed that to read everyone. some people who shall remain nameless got rich selling products that don't work, and disrespecting the user. but he made products that gave power to individuals and enhanced their creativity.

lisab said:

Nonetheless everyone will die someday :smile:

lisab said:
He put up quite a good fight, but pancreatic cancer is a tough one :frown:.

Yeah. It took Swayze. That and smoking: "On January 16, he was released from the hospital to rest at home with his wife. On April 19, 2009, doctors informed Swayze that the cancer had again metastasized to his liver. Swayze stated that his chain smoking probably "had something to do with" the development of his disease. Photos taken of a gaunt Swayze in the months before his death showed him continuing to smoke." From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Swayze#Illness_and_death

Did Jobs smoke? Even cigars?

Whether he did or not, he left quite a legacy! I don't know of a single individual who was more successful in putting life-changing technology in the hands of the people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just glad I finally got a Mac, before my brother Steve passed away.

Thank you Steve.

I'm right behind you, and have been by your side, the whole way.

o:)

mathwonk said:
that guy changed my life. i could never use a computer until the mac came out. in fact by the same token he changed the world. before him, computers were only used by super geeks. he changed that to read everyone. some people who shall remain nameless got rich selling products that don't work, and disrespecting the user. but he made products that gave power to individuals and enhanced their creativity.

I agree in part, in one hand he did what you said, in the other he sold overpriced computers and gadgets based solely on the idea that the mac was better than everything else.
Even some white IPod headphones were like 50 bucks.
While some people like Bill Gates and the whole idea of the PC actually made computer a lot cheaper to the general public.

very sad day... i have seen the movie 'pirates of the silicon valley' and the documentary
'triumph of the nerds'... after that i had great respect for him... my favorite picture of him is attached... by the way i could not find the picture of his first girlfriend , Chrisann Brennan. Is she dead too ?

Attachments

• jobs1984.jpg
    jobs1984.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 380
Steve Jobs established a real paradigm of knowledge which has streamlined our modern economy and philosophy. Not only was he a true genius but he founded his muse with hands-on work, in the way of Edison.

Jobs serves as a role model to generations. The efficient machines he developed promise to continue improving our environment. Education is helped diversely and exponentially. People with disabilities have been freed thanks to his informational systems. Our world has become both smaller and larger in one stroke.

Right now a kid you know is discovering how a PC can further his/her own inventions.

Apple computers were never popular here, so I don't have a personal connection.

Sill, Jobs was a part of a history long before he died. Sad day indeed.

Nasty way for anyone to go. Rest well Steve.

phinds said:
I've always felt that through the years Bill Gates was all about how much money he could make (and was brilliant at it) and Jobs was all about what outstanding products he could create (and was brilliant at it).
I'm sure no one misses Jobs more now than Gates.

Ivan Seeking said:
Sad. I've always been a fan of Jobs. Strangely, I've never owned one of his products.
Ditto, but I don't see a contradiction there: his products weren't for me, they were for "the cool kids". More than anything else, Steve Jobs was the nerd who told cool kids what to buy. He was the best salesman the world has ever seen.

He wasn't an inventor, he was an artist: he created attractive packages for existing nerdy products that hadn't yet made it to the mainstream -- and then he told people 'now it is time to buy this' and they did. I suspect Apple will be able to replace his creative vision, but I'm certain there will never be another salesman of his caliber. That's why Apple's stock prices followed his health/involvement in the company.

[PLAIN]http://images.piccsy.com/cache/images/yumidelicious-5ijo5gc0-155369-320-320.jpg
RIP!
I was never rich enough to own any of his products!:frown:

I knew he wasn't well, but I had no idea it was life threatening. Definitely a surprise to me.

A man of supreme accomplishments. Few people know that he was the savior of Pixar. We can thank him for out many storied toys and for our many Toy Stories.

R.i.p

s.j

The incredible legacy of Steve Jobs: From the mouse to the iPad
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/incredible-legacy-steve-jobs-mouse-ipad-011010682.html

The visionary made Apple into a symbol of American greatness, putting him next to Ford and Rockefeller.
Wednesday, pancreatic cancer claimed his life, a disease which he first announced to the public 2004. Through various treatments, Jobs continued to perform his duties at Apple, promising only to step down when he felt the time was right. Just a few short months ago, on August 24, Steve Jobs officially walked away from his post as CEO, and today he is no longer with us.
At least Jobs got 7 years after the discovery of his cancer. My brother lived only 11 months after doctors discovered leukemia (AML-5). He was only 34 and had just started a promising surgical career.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
[URL]http://images.piccsy.com/cache/images/yumidelicious-5ijo5gc0-155369-320-320.jpg
[/URL]

Wow. What an image!

I wasn't an Apple fan, but on this point Jobs and I agree wholeheartedly: Do what you love and don't settle for less - a philosophy that my wife and I have lived every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

Very sad day. Actually it is my birthday, but I am not happy.

I am sure the world has lost an invaluable visionary.

R.I.P SJ.

Wanted to share this. A rare Thursday-comic from Randall Munroe at XKCD.

eternal_flame.gif

There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.

Ivan Seeking said:
Interestingly, his success can be attributed in part to the Oregon community college system.

Reed is a small private college :eek:

David Griffith used to teach there.

http://perezhilton.com/2011-10-06-steve-jobs-death-tnt-pirates-silicon-valley#.To5hRLK8LX4"

I'm watching this old movie in remembrance of Steve Jobs.

Three apples have changed the world. One seduced Eve. The second awakened Newton. The third was the masterpiece of Jobs. RIP Steve!

Very nicely said, jobyts.

[PLAIN]http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/327689_460s.jpg
*sigh*
iSad​

My condoleances too. A bit lighthearted, the onion has a tribute too, in onion style:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/last-american-who-knew-what-the-****-he-was-doing,26268/"

(You need to replace the *** with you-know-what in the link.)

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. Thankyou for Pixar and for the rare experience of plugging a device (iPod) into a PC, following the instructions provided, and everything working without a hitch!

DaveC426913 said:
My fault.
I was just about to go out and buy a Mac.
I was talking about getting an iPad on Wednesday. I guess it was just too much for him.

tumblr_lso12lVTAU1qewacoo1_500.jpg

FlexGunship said:
eternal_flame.gif

There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.

A beachball to you, perhaps, but we MacHeads refer to it as "the spinning pizza of death".
Lisa!, did you create that image, or find it somewhere? Either way, it's beautiful and extremely creative.

Ziya Tong is not only the most beautiful woman in show business, but also the co-host of "Daily Planet". She has a personal association with Steve Jobs aside from her science correspondent background, so she was presented as a contributor on the subject for CTV National news. One thing that she said bears further investigation, which I will attempt if or when I sober up. It's bloody astounding, if correct.
While she didn't cite any particulars as to who, when or where, she did mention a brain study that might explain some of my own behaviour. Apparently there is some node of the human brain that lights up during an MRI scan of a Jesus freak when presented with some sort of religious icon. Ms. Tong said that the study showed a similar illumination of the same area when a MacHead such as myself is shown an image of an Apple product. That must explain my nearly overwhelming urge to apply a flamethrower to every Windows-burning machine on the planet.
One fellow who was interviewed on the news equated the death of Steve with those of John Lennon and JFK Junior. I would argue that Steve contributed more during his lifetime, simply because his innovations provided life-saving technology in an accessible manner.
I have to respectfully disagree with Russ as to the significance of his contributions. He didn't merely make existing technology available to the general public; he combined and integrated obscure semi-useless technology into a platform that the average Joe-on-the-street could use to great effect with minimal training.
I'm going to go get another beer, so as to illuminate some area of my brain—I now turn this over to the rest of you. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Danger said:
Lisa!, did you create that image, or find it somewhere? Either way, it's beautiful and extremely creative.

I found it somewhere.
btw, nice to see you around!:smile: