Was Steve Jobs' Death Overshadowed by Silence on Ritchie's Passing?

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: Reality check - no one is immortal.In summary, Apple's founder and mastermind, Steve Jobs, passed away due to pancreatic cancer at the age of 56. Jobs was well-known for his work as the founder of Apple and as the CEO of Pixar. His contributions to technology and the world will never be forgotten, and his death is a sad reminder of the power of cancer.
Lisa! said:
btw, nice to see you around!:smile:

Back at you on that one. Regardless of the fact that I've been largely absent here lately, you are always on my mind (and not necessarily in the sense that those who know what a pervert I can be might choose to think). Your health is of concern to me. Keep in touch, preferably by e-mail. That way, I know that it's saved forever. No offense to PF, but I did have to save all of my PM's to my HD or have them gone forever.
I really do miss knowing what's going on in your life. Your health, of course, is foremost, but the political situation in your "hood" is unbelievably complex to those of us who live in a different geopolitical sub-zone.
Keep on keepin' on. (That might mean nothing to you, but is was a mantra for those of us who survived the 60's and 70's in North America.)
There was another mantra of that era, which I will not share with you because of your cultural background. It deals with embracing someone in a manner which, while mutually pleasurable, cannot result in an unexpected pregnancy.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I never knew he had cancer until today when I was looking at his biography. And, although I am not an apple fan, his innovation with the look was well done and creativity of him and his team showed through their work.

Ivan Seeking said:
I wasn't an Apple fan, but on this point Jobs and I agree wholeheartedly: Do what you love and don't settle for less - a philosophy that my wife and I have lived every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

I was about to link to this. :)

Awesome speech. Quite possibly the coolest thing somebody shared with me this month. I love his analogy about "connecting the dots". It's exactly what I had been trying to do and I was doing it wrong. It's more the journey than the destination. Which brings me to this:
ERbvKrH-GC4[/youtube] This one, ...t that I had a while back. Crazy coincidence.

Speaking about connecting dots... I have a feeling they connect on their own, as we usually try to apply our previous experience into what we are doing now.

Mépris said:
I was about to link to this. :)

Awesome speech. Quite possibly the coolest thing somebody shared with me this month. I love his analogy about "connecting the dots". It's exactly what I had been trying to do and I was doing it wrong. It's more the journey than the destination. Which brings me to this:
ERbvKrH-GC4[/youtube] This one, ...ncidence.[/QUOTE] Keep your Stats teacher.

Danger said:
Lisa!, did you create that image, or find it somewhere?

It's xkcd.

http://gawker.com/5849543/harvard-cancer-expert-steve-jobs-probably-doomed-himself-with-alternative-medicine"
Steve Jobs had a mild form of cancer that is not usually fatal, but seems to have ushered along his own death by delaying conventional treatment in favor of alternative remedies, a Harvard Medical School researcher and faculty member says. Jobs's intractability, so often his greatest asset, may have been his undoing.

"Let me cut to the chase: Mr. Jobs allegedly chose to undergo all sorts of alternative treatment options before opting for conventional medicine," Ramzi Amri wrote in an extraordinarily detailed post to Quora, an online Q&A forum popular among Silicon Valley executives. "Given the circumstances, it seems sound to assume that Mr. Jobs' choice for alternative medicine has eventually led to an unnecessarily early death."
Armchair quarterbacks...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry everyone. He will be back.

rhody said:
http://gawker.com/5849543/harvard-cancer-expert-steve-jobs-probably-doomed-himself-with-alternative-medicine"

Armchair quarterbacks...

Rhody...

meh. he lived for several years with this cancer. I'm getting to where i despise some of these skeptic sites. they're as bad as the quacks themselves at times.

rhody said:

Armchair quarterbacks...

Rhody...

Proton Soup said:
meh. he lived for several years with this cancer. I'm getting to where i despise some of these skeptic sites. they're as bad as the quacks themselves at times.

Don't sully the science with emotion. If Steve Jobs could've lived longer, I'm sure he would've. If he chose to avoid the most successful forms of cancer treatment, that's his choice. When all is said and done, the result is the same.

If he really could've lived longer, than let's all learn from that... we can leave his memory in tact, though.

FlexGunship said:
Don't sully the science with emotion. If Steve Jobs could've lived longer, I'm sure he would've. If he chose to avoid the most successful forms of cancer treatment, that's his choice. When all is said and done, the result is the same.

If he really could've lived longer, than let's all learn from that... we can leave his memory in tact, though.

that's what I'm saying. we really don't know what his doctors told him about his condition. we aren't learning anything from these skeptics. they're just speculating on rumors.

Proton Soup said:
that's what I'm saying. we really don't know what his doctors told him about his condition. we aren't learning anything from these skeptics. they're just speculating on rumors.

Well, not really. If you read the article, he avoided medical treatment and instead tried a special diet. Jobs' stated goal in doing this was to minimize the time he spent away from Apple. Your knee-jerk reaction to the "skeptic" (i.e. oncologist... never heard an oncologist called a skeptic) is emotional.

So the skeptics have done nothing wrong, we should listen to them and learn from them. But, as far as Jobs' memory... he was a man dedicated to his work; so much so, that he may have sacrificed his own health.

FlexGunship said:
Well, not really. If you read the article, he avoided medical treatment and instead tried a special diet. Jobs' stated goal in doing this was to minimize the time he spent away from Apple. Your knee-jerk reaction to the "skeptic" (i.e. oncologist... never heard an oncologist called a skeptic) is emotional.

So the skeptics have done nothing wrong, we should listen to them and learn from them. But, as far as Jobs' memory... he was a man dedicated to his work; so much so, that he may have sacrificed his own health.

because of HIPAA, you have no facts on the case. it's all speculation. bye now.

The problem is many skeptics are motivated by the perceived opportunity to bash alternative medicine and are making mistakes similar to those they are criticizing. While Jobs didn't do himself any favors by trying to treat himself with a special diet, it's not at all clear that it hastened his death, as many skeptics jump to conclude. Dr. David Gorski, a surgical oncologist, has a somewhat longwinded discussion of this:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/the-death-of-steve-jobs/

A new image floating around in social networking sites.

Attachments

• sj.jpg
    sj.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 434
jobyts said:
A new image floating around in social networking sites.

I mentioned something to that fact about 20 years ago, but I was met with derision.

Some people don't like facts.

vela said:
The problem is many skeptics are motivated by the perceived opportunity to bash alternative medicine and are making mistakes similar to those they are criticizing. While Jobs didn't do himself any favors by trying to treat himself with a special diet, it's not at all clear that it hastened his death, as many skeptics jump to conclude. Dr. David Gorski, a surgical oncologist, has a somewhat longwinded discussion of this:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/the-death-of-steve-jobs/

I only want to emphasize this and hope more people read the linked article. I'm an adamant enemy of alternative medicine (or better said "not evidence based medicine"), and this article not only clarifies the actual circumstances of Jobs' cancer progression as it is known to the public, but is also a bit of an eye opener for skeptics who really only have a different scope of bias (I too was quite inclined to automatically blame the AM).

Short version: he had pancreatic cancer, but he had an exceedingly rare version of it that is usually indolent and not nearly as deadly as the usual, swiftly killing type. Immediate removal was the recommended course with good chances for cure, but he chose to try alternative methods for 9 months, and then started conventional therapy (including a somewhat controversial liver transplant, in that it seemed as a liver for him was avaible instantly compared to the time people normally spend on waiting lists) and remained with it until his death. It is well possible that his alternative course lessened his chances or that he had an unusually aggressive type of an usually indolent and rare type of an usually aggressive and highly lethal type of can or a combination of both.

I was never a mac user, but I love my iPod classic and never regretted spending so much money on it because it never had a malfunction in 4 years of heavy use. Thank you for that, and RIP to a great and unique business man and visionary.

This reminds me of Gilda Radner dying of ovarian cancer, choosing to go on an alternative "macrobiotic diet" guaranteed to cure her cancer. She died.

vici10 said:
Dennis Ritchie has died. He was a creator of C and participating in creation of UNIX, without it Mac would not exists. It is a lot hype about Jobs, but silence about Ritchie's death. Maybe because Ritchie was a scientists and Jobs was a salesman. It just shows what society values, IMO.
http://thenexusnews.com/no-reaction-to-death-of-an-influential-scientist/851287/

Check out my sig.

Google "what everyone is too polite to say about steve jobs"