Stress Energy Tensor: How Does It Implicate Flow of Energy?

In summary: Work is just a transfer of energy from one place to another, without any particles crossing the boundary.In summary,Schutz says that in a perfect fluid, there is no "energy flow" due to the energy density of particles being transported across the boundary of the fluid element.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading that in a perfect fluid we have no heat conduction, which implies that energy can flow out of a fluid element only if particles flow, so ##T^{0i} = 0##. I am not sure I understand why. We have ##\Delta E = \Delta Q - p \Delta V##. In our case as Q is constant, ##\Delta E = -p \Delta V##. How does this implies that energy is changed only if particles flow. If the volume is changing, than we can have a change in energy and there is nothing preventing the volume of the fluid element to change, right? Can someone explain this to me please? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
Please give a specific reference.
Sorry, "A first course in General Relativity", Bernard Schutz, section 4.6.

There are two volumes here. One is a volume element that may or may not contain fluid particles. The other is the region of space currently occupied by some fluid.The volume ##V## that you are talking about is the volume occupied by the fluid, but the volume the stress-energy tensor cares about is the elementary volume. If ##V## changes (##\Delta V\neq 0##) then the particle density changes, which is to say that the number of particles in a specified volume (elementary or otherwise) changes. This is just particles flowing in or out of a volume in the sense that the stress-energy tensor cares about.

Ibix said:
There are two volumes here. One is a volume element that may or may not contain fluid particles. The other is the region of space currently occupied by some fluid.The volume ##V## that you are talking about is the volume occupied by the fluid, but the volume the stress-energy tensor cares about is the elementary volume. If ##V## changes (##\Delta V\neq 0##) then the particle density changes, which is to say that the number of particles in a specified volume (elementary or otherwise) changes. This is just particles flowing in or out of a volume in the sense that the stress-energy tensor cares about.
I am sorry, but I am still a bit confused. At the beginning of section 4.5 in second edition, he states that: "In the MCRF, we imagine that the fluid element is able to exchange energy with its surroundings in only two ways: by heat conduction (absorbing an amount of heat ##\Delta Q##) and by work (doing an amount of work ##p \Delta V##, where V is the three-volume of the element). " I am not sure I understand your distinction as based on Schuts, the volume element, can do work ##p \Delta V## and from what I see here he seems to identify the 2 volumes you are talking about. Could you please elaborate a bit? Thank you!

Silviu said:
I am reading that in a perfect fluid we have no heat conduction, which implies that energy can flow out of a fluid element only if particles flow, so ##T^{0i} = 0##.

The way Schutz puts this seems a bit confusing to me. The reasoning is actually that, if we are in the fluid's MCRF, then "no heat conduction" means ##T^{0i} = 0##. If we are in the fluid's MCRF, then there is no "particle flow" at all--that's the definition of the MCRF, the frame in which the fluid is (locally) at rest. So ##T^{0i} = 0## in the MCRF can't mean "no particle flow", because that's always true in the MCRF; what it means (as Schutz explains a bit earlier, on p. 96) is "no stress-energy flow", i.e., "no heat conduction".

It's possible that by "particle flow" in this particular case Schutz means to include the case of particles "flowing" from the past to the future, i.e., having nonzero energy density. In other words, he is saying that the only "energy flow" in a perfect fluid is due to the energy density ##\rho## being transported along the fluid's worldlines. But if that's what he means, I think it's a confusing way to say it.

Silviu said:
At the beginning of section 4.5 in second edition, he states that: "In the MCRF, we imagine that the fluid element is able to exchange energy with its surroundings in only two ways: by heat conduction (absorbing an amount of heat ##\Delta Q##) and by work (doing an amount of work ##p \Delta V##, where V is the three-volume of the element). "

I don't think Schutz means to exclude the possibility of a fluid element in a perfect fluid doing work. But a fluid element doing work doesn't involve any particles or any stress-energy crossing the boundary of the fluid element.

Related to Stress Energy Tensor: How Does It Implicate Flow of Energy?

1. What is the Stress Energy Tensor?

The Stress Energy Tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum in a physical system. It describes how energy and momentum are transferred within a system and how they contribute to the curvature of spacetime.

2. How does the Stress Energy Tensor implicate the flow of energy?

The Stress Energy Tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which in turn determines the paths of objects moving through space. This allows us to understand how energy and momentum flow within a system and how they affect the motion of objects.

3. What factors affect the Stress Energy Tensor?

The Stress Energy Tensor is affected by several factors, including the distribution and density of matter and energy within a system, the speed and direction of motion of objects, and the presence of external forces such as gravity. These factors can change the shape and magnitude of the tensor, which in turn affects the flow of energy and momentum.

4. How is the Stress Energy Tensor used in practical applications?

The Stress Energy Tensor is primarily used in theoretical physics and cosmology, particularly in the study of general relativity and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe. It is also used in engineering, such as in the design of space probes and spacecraft, to calculate the effects of gravity and other forces on their trajectories.

5. What are some limitations of the Stress Energy Tensor?

One limitation of the Stress Energy Tensor is that it is a purely mathematical representation and does not provide a physical explanation for the flow of energy and momentum. Additionally, it is only applicable in the context of general relativity and may not accurately describe the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe.