Strong Valve Needed for Hand Pump - Help Appreciated

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valve
In summary, the individual has been experiencing difficulty with plastic valves used for pumping air, as they tend to fail over time. They have been using a specific type of valve, but are open to alternatives if they are more durable. They have considered metal valves listed on eBay, but are unsure if they are any different from the ones they have been using. They have also received a suggestion to check with a performance auto parts shop or to look on McMaster for an air check valve.
leroyjenkens
I have a hand pump that I use to pump air out of things with and the plastic valves that I use keep failing eventually. Either from being under too much pressure, or from being under pressure for too long. I guess there's like a diaphragm in the valve that weakens and begins to leak.
Here's an example of the valves that I've been using.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-Kynar-Vinton-Check-Valve-for-HHO-projects-/110440936293?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19b6caf365&vxp=mtr

It needs to be that big to fit the hand pump, but I guess I could rig something up to make it work if I had a valve of a different size.

Apparently those valves are too weak. Does anyone here know of an alternative that I could use? There's metal ones listed on ebay, but that could just be the outer covering with the diaphragm inside being exactly the same. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check with a performance auto parts shop. They make inline valves like this for nitrous systems that would work I would think.

Go to mcmaster.com and type "air check valve" into the search box.

Related to Strong Valve Needed for Hand Pump - Help Appreciated

1. What type of valve should be used for a hand pump?

The most suitable type of valve for a hand pump is a "check valve" or "one-way valve". This type of valve allows fluid to flow in only one direction, preventing backflow and maintaining pressure within the pump.

2. How do I know if my hand pump needs a stronger valve?

If you notice that your hand pump is losing pressure quickly or not able to maintain pressure at all, it may be a sign that the valve is not strong enough. Another indication is if the pump is struggling to draw water from a source.

3. What materials are best for a strong valve for a hand pump?

The most common materials for a strong valve in a hand pump are brass or stainless steel. These materials are durable and resistant to corrosion, making them ideal for long-term use in outdoor conditions.

4. Can I replace the valve on my hand pump if it is not strong enough?

Yes, in most cases, the valve on a hand pump can be replaced. However, it is important to make sure the replacement valve is the correct size and type for your specific pump. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer or a professional for assistance with replacing the valve.

5. How often should I replace the valve on my hand pump?

The frequency of valve replacement for a hand pump depends on the amount of use and the quality of the valve. If you notice a decrease in pump performance or visible wear and tear on the valve, it may be time for a replacement. It is best to inspect the valve regularly and replace it as needed to ensure optimal pump performance.