Struggling with a concept in regards to electric fields

In summary, there is a principle of superposition in electrostatics where the fields of different charges can be added together vectorially to get the resultant field. The speaker is trying to figure out the electric field acting on a point located .3 m right of a -2N/C point charge and .8m away from a +4N/C point charge. They are having trouble finding a formula to use, but expect that taking the electric field created by the +4N/C charge using kq1/r1 and adding it to the field created by the second charge using kq2/r2 will give them the complete field. A sketch of the arrangement would be helpful in understanding how the Electric field vectors are being added at the point
Shinwasha
So I'm trying to figure out the electric field that is acting on a point. This point is .3 m right of a point charge with -2N/C and .8m from a point charge with +4N/C. I've drawn it out, and realize both will have an impact on this object. what the issue I'm having is figuring out a formula to use. I would expect that taking the electric field that the +4N/C charge creates using kq1/r1 and then adding the field the second creates kq2/r2 would then give me the complete field. Would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a principle of superposition in electrostatics, which means fields of different charges can be added together (vectorially) to get the resultant field.

Shinwasha said:
So I'm trying to figure out the electric field that is acting on a point. This point is .3 m right of a point charge with -2N/C and .8m from a point charge with +4N/C. I've drawn it out, and realize both will have an impact on this object. what the issue I'm having is figuring out a formula to use. I would expect that taking the electric field that the +4N/C charge creates using kq1/r1 and then adding the field the second creates kq2/r2 would then give me the complete field. Would this be correct?

Please post a sketch of the arrangement, and show how you added the Electric field vectors at the point of interest...

Related to Struggling with a concept in regards to electric fields

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity used to describe the influence that an electric charge has on other charges or objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction.

How is an electric field represented?

An electric field is typically represented by a series of vectors, called electric field lines, that point in the direction of the electric field. The density of these lines indicates the strength of the electric field at a particular point.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charge creating the field and the distance from that charge. The strength also depends on the medium in which the field exists, with some materials having a higher permittivity and therefore a stronger electric field.

What is the relationship between electric fields and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charge has in an electric field. The electric potential is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field at a particular point, with a stronger electric field resulting in a higher electric potential.

How are electric fields used in practical applications?

Electric fields have many practical applications, such as powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and moving charged particles in particle accelerators. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and electrocardiograms (ECGs).