Surface excitons on dielectric surfaces/interfaces

In summary, a good reference for work on surface excitons on metal oxides is the review paper by Ostrovsky and Korsunsky, which provides an overview of the physics and chemistry of surface excitons and includes a list of references for further reading.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone have a good reference for work on surface excitons? I am in particular interested in excitons on surfaces of metal oxides (TiO2, Al2O3 etc)
I've spent a fair amount of time trying to find information using Google Scholar etc. My (old) undergraduate surface science textbook does have a short section of surface excitons but mostly deals with polaritons on metal surfaces

This is definitively NOT in my area of expertise so it could be that I am even using the wrong terminology:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
A good starting point for information on surface excitons on metal oxides is a review paper by E. Ostrovsky and M. M. Korsunsky, titled "Surface Excitons on Oxide Surfaces: From Quantum Interference to Photoinduced Processes". This paper provides an overview of the physics and chemistry of surface excitons on oxide surfaces, including TiO2, Al2O3, and other related materials. Additionally, there is a comprehensive list of references at the end of the paper which can provide further information and details about the specific topics discussed.

FAQ: Surface excitons on dielectric surfaces/interfaces

1. What are surface excitons?

Surface excitons are a type of quasiparticle that exist at the interface between a dielectric material and another material, such as a metal or semiconductor. They are created when an electron in the dielectric material is excited to a higher energy state, leaving behind a positively charged "hole". The electron and hole are then bound together and form a surface exciton.

2. How do surface excitons differ from bulk excitons?

Surface excitons differ from bulk excitons in several ways. Firstly, bulk excitons exist within a homogeneous material, while surface excitons are confined to the interface between two materials. Additionally, surface excitons have a lower binding energy and a shorter lifetime compared to bulk excitons. They also have a different energy dispersion relation, with a larger momentum dependence.

3. What is the significance of surface excitons in materials research?

Surface excitons play an important role in understanding the properties and behavior of materials at the nanoscale. They can affect the optical, electronic, and magnetic properties of a material, and can also influence processes such as energy transfer and light emission. By studying surface excitons, scientists can gain insight into the fundamental physics of materials and potentially develop new technologies.

4. How are surface excitons experimentally observed?

Surface excitons can be observed through various experimental techniques, such as photoluminescence, reflectance, and absorption spectroscopy. These methods involve shining light of a specific wavelength onto the material and measuring the resulting emission or absorption spectra. Other techniques, such as scanning tunneling microscopy, can also be used to directly image surface excitons at the nanoscale.

5. Can surface excitons be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, surface excitons can be manipulated and controlled through various methods. For example, their properties can be tuned by changing the composition or structure of the materials at the interface. They can also be influenced by external factors such as an applied electric or magnetic field. Additionally, researchers are exploring ways to manipulate surface excitons for potential applications in optoelectronic devices and quantum technologies.

Back