Surface gravity calculation, where am I wrong?

In summary: Also, I am an AI and do not have the ability to view images, so I cannot see the picture you uploaded. I apologize for any inconvenience."In summary, the author of <<space time and geometry: an introduction of general relativity>> by Sean M. Carroll defines surface gravity and its properties on page 245. However, when attempting to calculate using equations (1), (2), and (3), the result is different. The individual asks for help in finding their mistake. After calculations, it is proven that $\kappa^2=-1/2(\nabla_\mu\chi_\nu)(\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu)$. The individual also apologizes for not including the actual code due
hjq1990
On Page 245 of book <<space time and geometry: an introduction of general relativity>> by Sean M. Carroll, the author gave the definition surface gravity and gave its property. I tried to do the calculation for several times, only to find the result different. So could you please take a look and tell me where I have make a mistake. Thanks a lot.
Provided:
$\chi^\mu\nabla_\mu\chi^\nu=-\kappa\chi^\nu$ (1)\\
$\nabla(_\mu\chi_\nu)=0$ (2)\\
$\chi_[\mu\nabla_\nu\chi_\sigma]=0$ (3)\\
Prove: $\kappa^2=-1/2(\nabla_\mu \chi_\nu)(\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu)$\\
I calculated it as follows:\\
from (2) and (3),\\
$\chi_\mu\nabla_\nu\chi_\sigma+\chi_\nu\nabla_\sigma\chi_\mu+\chi_\sigma\nabla_\mu\chi_\nu=0$ (4)\\
thus,\\
$\kappa^2\chi^\mu\chi_\mu=(-\chi^\mu\nabla_\mu\chi^\nu)(-\chi^\sigma\nabla_\sigma\chi^\nu)$\\
$=(\chi^\sigma\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu)(\chi_\mu\nabla_\sigma\chi_\nu)$\\
$=(\chi^\sigma\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu)(-\chi_\sigma\nabla_\nu\chi_\mu-\chi_\nu\nabla_\mu\chi_\sigma)$\\
$=(\chi^\sigma\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu)(\chi_\sigma\nabla_\mu\chi_\nu)+(-\chi^\sigma\nabla^\nu\chi^\mu)(\chi_\nu\nabla_\sigma\chi_\mu)$\\
$=\chi^\sigma\chi_\sigma\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu\nabla_\mu\chi_\nu-(\chi^\sigma\nabla_\sigma\chi^\mu)(\chi_\nu\nabla^\nu\chi^\mu)$\\
$=\chi^\sigma\chi_\sigma\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu\nabla_\mu\chi_\nu-\kappa^2\chi^\mu\chi_\mu$\\
thus,\\
$\kappa^2=1/2(\nabla_\mu\chi_\nu)(\nabla^\mu\chi^\nu) \hfil \square$

Sorry for being lazy, but I really hate it of typing the codes to this site again. I wondering why it is not compatible with latex. I hope you could view the picture I uploaded, if you do not want to copy the code into your editor and compile it.

PS: I am a freshman as for Latex, thus if I put any code not proper, please point them out and give me some advice, if possible.

Attachments

• surface gravity calculation.JPG
    surface gravity calculation.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 627
Physics news on Phys.org
QUOTE BY hjq1990

On Page 245 of book <<space time and geometry: an introduction of general relativity>> by Sean M. Carroll, the author gave the definition surface gravity and gave its property. I tried to do the calculation for several times, only to find the result different. So could you please take a look and tell me where I have make a mistake. Thanks a lot.
Provided:
[tex]\chi^ \mu \nabla_ \mu \chi^ \nu=- \kappa \chi^ \nu \hspace{10 mm} (1)[/tex]
[tex]\hspace{10 mm} \nabla(_ \mu \chi_ \nu)=0 \hspace{10 mm} (2)[/tex]
[tex]\hspace{10 mm} \chi_{[ \mu \nabla_ \nu \chi_ \sigma]}=0 \hspace{10 mm} (3)[/tex]
Prove: [tex] \kappa^2=-1/2( \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \nu)( \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu)[/tex]
I calculated it as follows:
from (2) and (3),
[tex]\hspace{10 mm} \chi_ \mu \nabla_ \nu \chi_ \sigma+ \chi_ \nu \nabla_ \sigma \chi_ \mu+ \chi_ \sigma \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \nu=0 \hspace{10 mm} (4)[/tex]
thus,
[tex] \kappa^2 \chi^ \mu \chi_ \mu=(- \chi^ \mu \nabla_ \mu \chi^ \nu)(- \chi^ \sigma \nabla_{ \sigma} \chi^ \nu)[/tex]
[tex]=( \chi^ \sigma \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu)( \chi_ \mu \nabla_ \sigma \chi_ \nu)[/tex]
[tex]=( \chi^ \sigma \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu)(- \chi_ \sigma \nabla_ \nu \chi_ \mu- \chi_ \nu \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \sigma)[/tex]
[tex]=( \chi^ \sigma \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu)( \chi_ \sigma \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \nu)+(- \chi^ \sigma \nabla^ \nu \chi^ \mu)( \chi_ \nu \nabla_ \sigma \chi_ \mu)[/tex]
[tex]= \chi^ \sigma \chi_ \sigma \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \nu-( \chi^ \sigma \nabla_ \sigma \chi^ \mu)( \chi_ \nu \nabla^ \nu \chi^ \mu)[/tex]
[tex]= \chi^ \sigma \chi_ \sigma \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \nu- \kappa^2 \chi^ \mu \chi_ \mu[/tex]
thus,

[tex] \kappa^2=1/2( \nabla_ \mu \chi_ \nu)( \nabla^ \mu \chi^ \nu) \hspace{100 mm}\square[/tex]

Sorry for being lazy, but I really hate it of typing the codes to this site again. I wondering why it is not compatible with latex. I hope you could view the picture I uploaded, if you do not want to copy the code into your editor and compile it.

PS: I am a freshman as for Latex, thus if I put any code not proper, please point them out and give me some advice, if possible.

END QUOTE

Hello. Does this look a little closer to what you were trying to post? I basically just replaced the $'s with [/tex] and [tex] and added spaces before the symbols so they show properly. You can use "quote" on this post to see what I did.

Last edited:

FAQ: Surface gravity calculation, where am I wrong?

1. What is surface gravity and why is it important?

Surface gravity is the measure of the gravitational force exerted on an object on the surface of a planet or other celestial body. It is important because it determines the weight of objects on that surface and affects other physical phenomena such as tides and atmospheric pressure.

2. How is surface gravity calculated?

Surface gravity is calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where g is the surface gravity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the celestial body, and r is the radius of the celestial body.

3. Can surface gravity be negative?

No, surface gravity cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

4. How does surface gravity vary between different celestial bodies?

Surface gravity varies depending on the mass and radius of the celestial body. Generally, larger and more massive objects have a higher surface gravity, while smaller and less massive objects have a lower surface gravity.

5. What are some common misconceptions about surface gravity?

One common misconception is that surface gravity is the same as weight. While weight is affected by surface gravity, it also depends on the mass of the object. Another misconception is that surface gravity is constant across the entire surface of a celestial body, when in reality it can vary slightly due to differences in the planet's composition and rotation.

Back