Symmetry in a Triangular Circuit

In summary: If there was current flowing through the middle wire, then one side of the middle resistor would be greater than the other, and the bridge would not be balanced.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Find the resistance across AB. Use symmetry to determine currents.

Homework Equations

Please see diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't seem to understand symmetry in circuits. What is the link between the geometrical symmetry of the situation and the way in which the current divides at a junction? Is it the case that if a current can follow two possible paths, and the paths have the same resistances in the same order, that the current along each path is equal??

In the diagram below for example, why is I6 supposed to be zero? How do I know that points D and A are at the same potential? I've tried expanding everything using Kirchoff's laws, but it just becomes very messy...

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 12.58.18.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-09 at 12.58.18.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
do you know a term something called as "weigh stone bridge" ??

Um, I think you mean 'Wheatstone bridge'. Yes, I do know that the example I've got is a balanced Wheatstone bridge, but I'd still like to better understand how symmetry works in circuits in general.

bananabandana said:
Um, I think you mean 'Wheatstone bridge'. Yes, I do know that the example I've got is a balanced Wheatstone bridge, but I'd still like to better understand how symmetry works in circuits in general.

at here if
R1/R2=R3/R4
then there will be no current through the R6 i.e I6=0

Yes, but why? How does the symmetry of the problem relate to this understanding? :P

all the subs scripts represents the resistance of your question i.e
R1 is the resistance from where I1 current will flow and so on...

Yes, I understand that! What I don't understand is why it is necessary, that, in this example, a balanced Wheatstone bridge must have no current flowing through the middle wire.. if that's not a stupid question :P

If a bridge is balanced, then the 2 outside voltage dividers give equal voltages at each end of the middle resistor.

Related to Symmetry in a Triangular Circuit

1. What is symmetry in a triangular circuit?

Symmetry in a triangular circuit refers to the balance and regularity of the circuit's components and connections. It means that the circuit can be divided into equal or mirrored parts, and the behavior of the circuit remains the same.

2. Why is symmetry important in a triangular circuit?

Symmetry is important in a triangular circuit because it ensures that the circuit functions properly and efficiently. It also allows for easier analysis and troubleshooting of the circuit, as the behavior of one part can be inferred from the symmetry of the other parts.

3. How can symmetry be achieved in a triangular circuit?

Symmetry in a triangular circuit can be achieved by using identical components and arranging them in a proportional and balanced manner. This includes placing components in the same orientation and spacing them out evenly.

4. What are the benefits of having symmetry in a triangular circuit?

Having symmetry in a triangular circuit can lead to better performance, stability, and reliability. It also simplifies the design process and reduces the chances of errors or malfunctions.

5. Are there any disadvantages to having symmetry in a triangular circuit?

The main disadvantage of having symmetry in a triangular circuit is that it can limit the flexibility and creativity in circuit design. Sometimes, non-symmetrical circuits may be necessary for specific functions or to fit within a certain space or shape.