System of 2 particles: why is the wavefunction a product?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the energy of two non-interacting identical particles in a 1D infinite potential well. The conversation also mentions the use of wavefunctions for distinguishable and indistinguishable particles, and the reasoning behind writing them as a product of individual wavefunctions. It is mentioned that the Hilbert space for two particles can be taken as an additional axiom, and the basis functions of the two-particle Hilbert space are products of basis functions of one-particle Hilbert space.
eudyptula
I am trying to solve for the energy of 2 non-interacting identical particles in a 1D infinite potential well. I want to do it as much "from scratch" as possible, making sure I fully understand every step.

H = -ħ2/2m * (∂2/∂x12 + ∂2/∂x22)

Hψ=Eψ

2ψ/∂x12 + ∂2ψ/∂x22 = kψ, where k=-2mE/ħ2

I got up to here, where I need to write down a form for ψ to take. Both textbooks I referred to (Griffiths and Shankar) use the example of a wavefunction for 2 distinguishable particles before discussing the 2-term form for a wavefunction of 2 indistinguishable particles. Apparently for 2 distinguishable particles, ψ(x1,x2)=ψa(x1b(x2), but I don't understand the reasoning behind writing it as a product of the individual wavefunctions. Griffiths discusses it a little bit in footnote 2, but I don't follow it. I do understand the later part about writing ψ for indistinguishable particles as a sum of the two products, but I don't understand why each term is written as a product in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be taken as an additional axiom that the Hilbert space for two particles is the tensor product of the individual Hilbert spaces, eg. http://www.theory.caltech.edu/~preskill/ph219/chap2_13.pdf (Axiom 5). Then the basis functions of the two-particle Hilbert space are products of basis functions of one-particle Hilbert space.

atyy said:
It can be taken as an additional axiom that the Hilbert space for two particles is the tensor product of the individual Hilbert spaces, eg. http://www.theory.caltech.edu/~preskill/ph219/chap2_13.pdf (Axiom 5). Then the basis functions of the two-particle Hilbert space are products of basis functions of one-particle Hilbert space.

Atty is correct.

Its an axiom, but its so natural and obvious many textbooks don't state it.

Thanks
Bill

Related to System of 2 particles: why is the wavefunction a product?

1. Why is the wavefunction for a system of 2 particles a product of individual wavefunctions?

The wavefunction for a system of 2 particles is a product because it follows the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the principle of superposition. This principle states that the overall wavefunction for a system can be expressed as a combination of the individual wavefunctions for each particle in the system. In the case of 2 particles, this results in a product of the two individual wavefunctions.

2. What does the wavefunction product represent in a system of 2 particles?

In a system of 2 particles, the wavefunction product represents the probability of finding each particle in a certain state. This is because the square of the wavefunction product gives the probability density function, which describes the likelihood of finding a particle at a particular position in space.

3. Can the wavefunction for a system of 2 particles be separable?

Yes, the wavefunction for a system of 2 particles can be separable. This means that it can be expressed as a product of two separate functions, one for each particle. However, this is only true for certain types of systems, such as non-interacting particles or particles with well-defined quantum states.

4. How does the wavefunction product change when the particles are entangled?

When particles are entangled, the wavefunction product no longer accurately describes the system. This is because the particles are no longer independent and their states cannot be described separately. In this case, the overall wavefunction for the system must be described using a combination of the individual wavefunctions, rather than a simple product.

5. Is the wavefunction product always symmetric for a system of 2 identical particles?

No, the wavefunction product for a system of 2 identical particles is not always symmetric. It depends on the type of particles and their spin states. For example, if the particles are fermions (particles with half-integer spin), the overall wavefunction must be anti-symmetric to account for the Pauli exclusion principle. This means that the wavefunction product must also be anti-symmetric, and cannot be a simple product of individual wavefunctions.