’t Hooft on the Foundations of Superstring Theory

In summary, Gerard 't Hooft's paper on the foundations of superstring theory may be interesting to people interested in that subject.
atyy said:
Would you agree that it's almost certain that BM predicts deviations from QM at some level?
Yes. The question is - is it possible to access that level by measurements?

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
Yes. The question is - is it possible to access that level by measurements?

That's very interesting (although maybe not practical to measure). So a discussion of BM really does belong in BTSM:)

Demystifier said:
I guess it means that gauge/gravity duality is exact only in the limit of infinite coupling and N, while in all other cases it is still an approximation. Do I need to stress that realistic coupling and N are not very close to infinite (even if they are both larger than 1)?
I think approximate gauge/gravity duality and approximate dualities in string theories may indicate that S(QCD) is not the low energy limit of some string-like theory, but that string theory may be an approximation to S(QCD) in a certain limit. First time in physics that we spent 10 times more mony in defining the approximation than in solving the fundamental theory ;-)

atyy said:
That's very interesting (although maybe not practical to measure). So a discussion of BM really does belong in BTSM:)
I agree. :smile: