Temporaly uncertainty principle

In summary: The commutation relation [T,H]=i implies [T^n,H]=niT^{n-1}. From this we... that...I think you are trying to show that the commutator [T,e^{i\alpha T}] is not zero. The commutation relation is not enough to prove that there is no such T, you need to show that the commutator is not zero.
A. Neumaier said:
According to the traditional terminology, it isn't, since its spectrum consists of all complex numbers. But an observable must not only be symmetric but may have only real spectrum; this is equivalent to being self-adjoint.
I do not fully agree. In my example complex eigenvalues are also excluded, but not by the property of being self-adjoint. It is clear that real spectrum follows from selfajointness, but selfadjointess does not follow from having real spectrum.

A. Neumaier said:
In fact, if the spectrum of H is R^+ and the centralizer of H consists of functions of H only (so that there are no other quantum numbers apart from the energy) then your construction is isomorphic to the example you just mentioned, with x denoting the energy.
That's why I presented this as an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer said:
I do not fully agree. In my example complex eigenvalues are also excluded, but not by the property of being self-adjoint. It is clear that real spectrum follows from selfajointness, but selfadjointess does not follow from having real spectrum.

Oh, sorry; I meant to say that (with p=-id/dx), p^* has all complex numbers in the spectrum.

An operator A is self-adjoint iff it is symmetric and the spectrum of A^* is real.
See, e.g., Theorem 2.2.5 in Vol. 3 of Thirring, A course in mathematical physics.

On the other hand, p itself has no (generalized) eigenstates at all. This plays havoc with the usual way of interpreting exact measurements. So in which sense would p be an observable?

-id/dx has the usual "generalized" eigenvalues with spectrum R+

tom.stoer said:
-id/dx has the usual "generalized" eigenvalues with spectrum R+

Your space consists of the u(x) with u(0)=0. pu=ku implies u'=iku, hence u(x)=exp(ikx)u(0)=0 identically. Thus there is no generalized eigenvector.

In terms of measurement, it is therefore not clear how you'd prepare a state in which a measurement of p yields the value k.

Seems to be convincing, but I remember there was an argument based on H=p²/2m (which has the usual spectrum using sin(kx) instead of exp ikx) and taking the "square root" of H. I have to check this again.

But I think this has not so much to do with ther time operator.