Tension on a string and charge -

In summary: SoFy =0.882N, andFx =0.111NTo find the tensionF = sqrt(0.111^2 + 0.882^2) = 0.891NTherefore the tension in the thread is 0.891NIn summary, object A with a mass of 90.0 g is attracted to object B, which has a charge of +130 nC, causing A to hang at an angle of θ = 7.20° with respect to the vertical and 5.00 cm to the left of B. To find the charge on A, the force between the two charges is calculated using the equation F = kq1q2/r
thercias

Homework Statement

Object A has mass 90.0 g and hangs from an insulated thread. When object B, which has a charge of +130 nC, is held nearby, A is attracted to it. In equilibrium, A hangs at an angle θ = 7.20° with respect to the vertical and is 5.00 cm to the left of B.
(a) What is the charge on A?
(b) What is the tension in the thread?

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv301/redraven45/physics1_zps6759b55e.png

Homework Equations

F = ma
F = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im pretty clueless on this one. I know it's some type of equilibrium question, and it looks like the forces on the x direction cancel out. To find the charge on A, I need the force between the two charges but I don't have that and I'm not sure if I'm doing this right.

The only force on the string in the y direction is from gravity so

Fy = 0.09*9.8
=0.882N
The only force pulling the string in the x direction is the force between charge A and charge B
tantheta = Fx/Fy
Fx = tantheta*Fy
= tan7.2*0.882
= 1.15N

This equals to the force between the two charges, so

1.15 = k(qA)(qB)/(r^2)
(qA) = 1.15 *0.05^2/ (8.85e-12)(130e-9)
(qA) = 2.49e15

this value doesn't make much sense. not sure what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle is in degrees not in radians:

##\tan 7.2^o=0.126\Rightarrow F_x=0.111\,N##

and ##k=9\cdot 10^9\,N\cdot m^2/C^2##

szynkasz said:
The angle is in degrees not in radians:

##\tan 7.2^o=0.126\Rightarrow F_x=0.111\,N##

and ##k=9\cdot 10^9\,N\cdot m^2/C^2##

thanks for the correction, my final answer for the charge is now 237 nC. That seems a lot better

Also, the force of tension I got was sqrt((0.0882^2)+(0.111^2))= 0.122N

Can you confirm that these are correct?

The charge is ok, but ##F_y=0.882\,N## not ##0.0882##

Thanks man, just got to pay more attention to these clumsy errors I guess.

Related to Tension on a string and charge -

1. What is the relationship between tension on a string and charge?

The tension on a string is directly proportional to the charge of an object. This means that as the charge increases, the tension on the string also increases.

2. How does the distance between charges affect the tension on a string?

The tension on a string is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between charges. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the tension on the string decreases.

3. Can tension on a string be used to measure charge?

Yes, tension on a string can be used to measure charge. By measuring the amount of tension on a string and knowing the properties of the string, the charge of an object can be calculated using Coulomb's law.

4. How does the material of the string affect the tension?

The material of the string does not affect the tension as long as the string is strong enough to withstand the force of the charges. However, the material of the string can affect the accuracy of the measurement if it has a high amount of friction or if it is easily stretched.

5. What other factors can affect the tension on a string and charge relationship?

Other factors that can affect the tension on a string and charge relationship include the size and shape of the charges, the presence of other nearby charges, and the presence of any external forces acting on the string.