Terrorist attack at a Quebec City mosque

• News
  • Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary, a lone gunman motivated by far-right ideology shot and killed six people at a mosque in Quebec City, including a professor of engineering at Université Laval. The conversation then shifts to fond memories of visiting Quebec City's old town and the shock and sadness felt towards the tragic event.
Physics news on Phys.org
My wife and I were there a few years ago. It was the year before the attack in Ottawa which we also visited at that time. We really loved the people there. It's hard to believe that any Canadian could do such a thing.

Borg said:
We really loved the people there.
Agreed, I think Quebec City's old town area is one of the world's most underrated places.

Likes Borg
Greg Bernhardt said:
Agreed, I think Quebec City's old town area is one of the world's most underrated places.

I had visited Quebec City's old town (the "Old City") with my father a few years ago during the 400th anniversary of the founding the city. It is a lovely place to visit and we both had a great time. I'm planning on visiting again this year, on my way to visit my sister and my nephews (they live in the province of Quebec, but further east).

FAQ: Terrorist attack at a Quebec City mosque

1. What happened during the terrorist attack at the Quebec City mosque?

The terrorist attack at the Quebec City mosque occurred on January 29, 2017. A gunman entered the mosque during evening prayers and opened fire, killing six people and injuring nineteen others. The attack was motivated by Islamophobia and has been classified as a hate crime.

2. Who was responsible for the terrorist attack at the Quebec City mosque?

The gunman responsible for the attack was a 27-year-old Canadian man named Alexandre Bissonnette. He pleaded guilty to six counts of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder, and was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 40 years.

3. Was this the first terrorist attack at a mosque in Canada?

No, there have been multiple terrorist attacks at mosques in Canada. However, the attack on the Quebec City mosque is considered to be one of the deadliest in Canadian history.

4. How did the government and community respond to the terrorist attack at the Quebec City mosque?

The government of Canada and the province of Quebec condemned the attack and offered their support to the victims and their families. Many Canadians also showed their solidarity by attending vigils and leaving flowers at the mosque. The attack also sparked conversations about Islamophobia and hate crimes in Canada.

5. What measures have been taken to prevent similar terrorist attacks at mosques in Canada?

After the attack, the Canadian government announced funding for security measures at places of worship, including mosques. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) also increased their efforts to monitor and prevent hate crimes and terrorist attacks. In addition, the government has implemented a national strategy to counter radicalization to violence and promote diversity and inclusion.