The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
I live fairly close to a couple outlets:Ed Hardy, Polo, and Abercrombie are the ones I usually shop at the most. When I do go to these places I always look for the ladies that work there, i.e the one folding clothes. I usually go up to them, flirt with them, and tell them that if they want, they can go around and pick out some good clothes for me and I'll be back in an hour or so. Of course I give her my size and all the other important information. BUT GIRLS LOVE TO SHOP, and who better to pick my clothes out than a good looking female who knows what to look for??esp, when I am trying to impress the females. 99.9% I'm happy with what they pick out. Plus, it gets them away from folding clothes lol...

Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
I get a lot of my stuff tailored. But its not $10 as moonbear said, its usually 20-25 for button up shirts.
Probably regional differences. You live in a more expensive area than I do. Or, I could be out of touch with price increases. It's been a long time since I have needed to pay someone else to make alterations for me. I usually stick to things I can do myself.

I don't think you can tailor everything though, for example sweaters.

Yeah, sweaters you have to find something that fits right from the start. I can't find any I like this year and I also need to replace my old ones that have gotten ratty looking. They either seem to be plain and boring and unattractive, or they're thin sweaters, some of which look nice, but don't address my need for warm sweaters when it gets really cold (I still got a few of those for Fall), or the warm ones are huge and bulky and lumpy and generally ugly looking.

Fabric is an important consideration to some extent, certainly if you're trying to compare prices...an acrylic sweater should not cost the same as a cashmere. Though, I go more by feel. I like soft sweaters and blouses that feel like they're made of heavy fabric. I'll also hold them up to the light and put my hand behind them...the see-through test. So many fabrics are so cheap, they're see-through, which is not flattering on anyone.

Most importantly, I check the cleaning instructions! If something is dry clean only, I pass. I'm realistic about that. Anything that needs to get dry cleaned winds up in a pile in the corner of the closet and I never get around to doing anything with it, so I'm basically only wearing it once. I can deal with things that can't go in the dryer, as long as they can be washed normally (even if it's just gentle cycle). When I used to live in apartments with shared laundry facilities, though, I'd pass over stuff that had to be air dried too. Again, just realistic that I didn't have the space to set up drying racks for a lot of clothes, and every so often, the "helpful" neighbor in a rush to do their own laundry would toss everything into the dryer and start it before I got back to it (despite that I always left a laundry basket on top of the washer in case I got distracted from returning when the load was done so they could just toss the wet clothes into the basket if someone was waiting when the load was done washing). :rolleyes:

Jesus, I'm glad none of you pick out my clothes for me. I'd look like an idiot with some of these styles and I'd be constantly uncomfortable.

LightbulbSun said:
Jesus, I'm glad none of you pick out my clothes for me. I'd look like an idiot with some of these styles and I'd be constantly uncomfortable.

Well, you do have to have the sense to pick out styles that go with your own body type. General tips on fit and fabric apply across styles. No matter what your style and body type, you want the clothes you choose to fit properly. For men, the simplest part of fit to consider, and the most common one that they ignore, is the shoulder (it's important for women too, just women seem better at getting this part right). It doesn't matter if you like t-shirts, polo shirts, button-down oxfords, dress shirts, suit jackets, smoking jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, neutral colors, bold colors, pastel colors, solids, stripes, random blotches, etc., if you make sure the shoulder fits right, it'll immediately look better on you than if the shoulder is too big.

And with pants, just try the darn things on before buying! I've known so many guys who know their waist and inseam size and just buy anything without trying it on. Not all pants are cut equally, and not all look equally flattering on everyone. Some guys should wear flat front trousers, others are better served by pleated fronts. Some need a little more room in the seat to show off their cute butts, others should get something slimmer so there isn't a lot of bagginess to accentuate their lack of butt. If you have skinny little chicken legs like that model probably has, slender pants will look best. If you have ginormous thighs from working out, a looser fit would be in order (though, those guys usually need to buy a couple sizes too big to fit their thighs, then have the waist tailored smaller). You have to think about what flatters your body type. There is no "ideal" body type. Everyone can look fantastic if they choose clothes that suit their type.

offtheleft said:
if you get a really expensive suit, like a dior, they will tailor it for free.

Oh, you're paying for it! Those suits run over a grand, typically. It's already included in the price when you buy it.

LightbulbSun said:

? You'd look like an idiot in a black t-shirt and dark jeans with dress shoes? ....aye caramba you're insecure.

Anyways, this is what I'm wearing today (casual). You can see what moonbear is saying in terms of how things should fit your body. I typically dress like this for normal day-to-day stuff I'm doing.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9378/pict0330ux7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
I get a lot of my stuff tailored. But its not $10 as moonbear said, its usually 20-25 for button up shirts.

Jackets are pretty expensive. I got one jacked tailored and it cost me nearly $100.

The ideal case is to get something on sale and then tailor it and end up spending around what you would have for the untailored article of clothing. I don't think you can tailor everything though, for example sweaters.

I should get a lot of things tailored, if they don't fit, but instead, I just don't buy it. Plus, we don't have a good tailor around here. The tailoring will probably end up being more than the item I paid for.

Go to the outlets. Even if you have to drive 3 hours to get to one. They are totally worth it. Every state has one. I got a bunch of really nice Brooks Brothers sweaters and a long sleeve rugby polo for about $200 when they should have cost $500. I also bought a Helley Hansen Jacket (the same type of jackets that the US coast guard and the guys on the Deadliets Catch show wear) at their outlet store for $300 when it originally cost $800.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like it would be nice, but very expensive. I'm a college student here, and yes, I'm working full time, so I guess I can spoil myself sometimes. But, I tend to buy shoes to spoil myself. ( I have over 50 pairs and still counting) :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
? You'd look like an idiot in a black t-shirt and dark jeans with dress shoes? ....aye caramba you're insecure.

Anyways, this is what I'm wearing today (casual). You can see what moonbear is saying in terms of how things should fit your body. I typically dress like this for normal day-to-day stuff I'm doing.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9378/pict0330ux7.jpg
[/URL]

I always have a hoodie on regardless of what season it is. I rarely go out without them.

http://www.skilltoys.com/images/P/hoodie.jpg [I prefer this one and have like 3-4 of this type and 2-3 of below type]
http://www.showyourlogo.com/custom-sweatshirts/Fruit-Full-Zip-Hoodie.jpg

rootX said:
I always have a hoodie on regardless of what season it is. I rarely go out without them.

http://www.skilltoys.com/images/P/hoodie.jpg [I prefer this one and have like 3-4 of this type and 2-3 of below type]
http://www.showyourlogo.com/custom-sweatshirts/Fruit-Full-Zip-Hoodie.jpg

You must be a track star. That's probably the only person that can wear it and get away with it. The girl in the first link is cute, but the hoodie is about 10x too big for her. It destroys all the curves she might have. I can't even see her rack...what a waste.

I don't own a single hoodie, and I never will.

Cyrus said:

No, I like wearing dark t-shirts and dark jeans. I have a ton of dark jeans in fact. I don't wear shoes, I wear running sneakers. Better traction, and I can get them dirty.

It's the polo shirts and wide striped shirts that wouldn't go well on me. I hate it when people get stuff that's too tight on them. For god sakes, I mean get stuff that fits you, but give your body some room to circulate the blood.

question about tailoring. I have some dress pants where the length/waist is perfect, but they are too baggy. can that be fixed?

Cyrus said:

Neither do I.

That one outfit you just posted is practically what I'm wearing today. It's a plain Hollister (spelling?) polo, with fitting jeans.

I'm a thin guy with a decent build. For me, it's rare that I need something tailore. The only time I would need it done is if I bought something like at Tommy Hilfiger (which I won't) and the average American store. This is because those stores make things wider. A small size at a Tommy store is probably a large or XL at a store like BR.

Plus with my waist being like 29-30 inches, I'm pretty much always certain my size is in the sales rack. Sales rack typically have things from 28-30 inches and 36 inches and up. Bonus for me!

I got a sick pair of jeans once at BR for like $30-40. Through them out awhile ago though. Got sick of them (I mentionned earlier about pants).

Greg Bernhardt said:
question about tailoring. I have some dress pants where the length/waist is perfect, but they are too baggy. can that be fixed?

Well, why did you buy baggy pants?

Stay away from typical American stores. I worked at a clothing store, and it was known in our store that American = Fat Clothes.

If that can be fixed, I doubt it.

Also, avoid pleats! There are horrid... and made for... again fat people.

Greg Bernhardt said:
A good tailor should be able to take them in at least some. If they are too baggy in the hips/rear and continuing down the leg, heck, I could do that. My mom had me take sewing lessons from a dress shop when I was in my early teens, I learned professional tailoring. I wish I could have found a place to send my girls. Knowing how to tailor your clothes is very handy, but it can be a lot of work, depending on what needs to be done.

Cyrus said:
Oh, you're paying for it! Those suits run over a grand, typically. It's already included in the price when you buy it.

costed me $2k for a jacket, pants, tie and a shirt. don't even ask about the shoes :x lol

but, i bought it over a year ago. i just took it back to make a few alterations to the jacket and they had no problem doing it. the only fee was paying for food and stuff for me and a girl. :)

no more spending money :( which means i take a cheaper route and dress like i woke up naked in a hollister after a long night of partying.

JasonRox said:
Also, avoid pleats!

mr. burgundy you have a massive erection !

it must be an optical illusion in the pleats! i was actually taking them back right now...to the pants store!

lol

JasonRox said:
Well, why did you buy baggy pants?

Stay away from typical American stores. I worked at a clothing store, and it was known in our store that American = Fat Clothes.

haha actually they are Triple Five Soul pants, very trendy. they are a hybrid of sweat pants and dress pants. seriously awesome if the baggyness can be brought in.

LightbulbSun said:
No, I like wearing dark t-shirts and dark jeans. I have a ton of dark jeans in fact. I don't wear shoes, I wear running sneakers. Better traction, and I can get them dirty.

It's the polo shirts and wide striped shirts that wouldn't go well on me. I hate it when people get stuff that's too tight on them. For god sakes, I mean get stuff that fits you, but give your body some room to circulate the blood.

Um... clothes that's against your body means it fits.

I notice people who think fitting is tight really don't know anything and rely on mom's old sayings that it fits, but really, most mom's are clueless too.

I wouldn't pick that shirt with that suit.

JasonRox said:
I wouldn't pick that shirt with that suit.

yeah don't mix patterns, got to go solid shirt with a pin stripe suit. also I am against brown shoes with a black/grey suit

Greg Bernhardt said:
haha actually they are Triple Five Soul pants, very trendy. they are a hybrid of sweat pants and dress pants. seriously awesome if the baggyness can be brought in.

If they're trendy, I would hope there is fitting sizes.

Also, if something is trendy, and doesn't fit right or doesn't have good fitting, or just plain not good, then even though it's trendy, do not buy it.

JasonRox said:
If they're trendy, I would hope there is fitting sizes.

Also, if something is trendy, and doesn't fit right or doesn't have good fitting, or just plain not good, then even though it's trendy, do not buy it.

it's baggy because they are part sweat pants, but I want them more form fitting

"Trendy" is not a smart place to put your wardrobe dollars. Trends can die very quickly. What would you think of a guy who dropped into watch some sports event with you on the tube and he was wearing a Nehru jacket and bell-bottoms?

A major function of the "fashion" industry is to make and break trends so that the gullible have to buy new clothes over and over again to "fit in".

ack, when I said trendy I was mostly trying to express they aren't Target brand (not that there is anything wrong with that)

JasonRox said:
Um... clothes that's against your body means it fits.

I notice people who think fitting is tight really don't know anything and rely on mom's old sayings that it fits, but really, most mom's are clueless too.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about people who buy clothes that literally cling to their body and cut off all circulation.

When I buy clothes, I just go with the darker color schemes and buy anything that I feel comfortable in. Comfort comes first before style. Style is for posers.

turbo-1 said:
A major function of the "fashion" industry is to make and break trends so that the gullible have to buy new clothes over and over again to "fit in".
Actually, I think you have it wrong. Trends serve a similar function as plumage in nature. (Amongst other things ) plumage says "I am sufficiently healthy that I can afford to squander some of my energy budget on expensive pigments". Trendy fashions say "I am sufficiently rich that I can afford to wear this once and toss it aside".

Look at the corollary: things that are never "dated", such as a trusty pair of wellies, are the things that are prized by those who don't have money to throw around. Trendy people, OTOH, wish it to be known that they don't have to buy things that last.

Greg Bernhardt said:
yeah don't mix patterns, got to go solid shirt with a pin stripe suit. also I am against brown shoes with a black/grey suit

yea, i know not to mix patterns but it was a last minute thing. coincidentally the top picture(more recent) the same articles ended up together haha

i (sometimes) like brown shoes with a black suit. but, certain things require black shoes, like this:

20900871_l-1.jpg

LightbulbSun said:
What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking about people who buy clothes that literally cling to their body and cut off all circulation.

When I buy clothes, I just go with the darker color schemes and buy anything that I feel comfortable in. Comfort comes first before style. Style is for posers.

I really don't see people who wear what you said except for EMO kids with those super super tight slim jeans.

Cyrus said:

I have a hoodie. It's absolutely perfect...to wear over a long-sleeved t-shirt and under a heavy jacket when I'm going out to shovel snow in winter. :biggrin: Just like I keep the old faded t-shirts to wear under my scrub tops. Everyone needs to have some dumpy clothes for dirty jobs.

LightbulbSun said:
For god sakes, I mean get stuff that fits you, but give your body some room to circulate the blood.

:confused: If it fits, the body DOES have room to circulate blood. If it fits properly, it doesn't strangle you or keep you from moving. In fact, a good tailor will ask you to reach your arms in front of you to make sure there's enough room for a shirt or jacket to move with you. I always thought women were more prone than men to try to squeeze into undersized clothing though...think "muffin tops."

I see young people at the mall wearing those big a$$ baggy pants and they don't tie their shoes. Please make them go away. I really don't want to see their butt crack :eek:

Then I see the 10 year old kid with legs the size of tree trunks lay off of the high fructose corn sweetener already.

I'll recreate what I wore to my PhD interviews and post them. You'll all probably have a fit. :-p

Kurdt said:
I'll recreate what I wore to my PhD interviews and post them. You'll all probably have a fit. :-p
Uh oh, please tell me you didn't wear baggy pants with your crack showing.