The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally

In summary, the calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam. An equation can be derived to calculate the bending moment from the measured strain value. The symbols used in the equation represent the strain, stress, and geometric properties of the beam. Additionally, the maximum bending moment does not occur at zero strain, but rather at the point of maximum stress on the outer fibers of the beam.
bensm0
The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally...

The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs. Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all symbols used in your equation.

Could anyone give me any hints on this question? It's the last question I'm stuck on.

Am i right in saying maximum bending moment occurs the strain equals 0?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• MP-2-TMAv2-1.1 (dragged).pdf
    19.8 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org

bensm0 said:
The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam, at the point where the maximum bending moment occurs. Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment from the measured strain value. State the meaning of all symbols used in your equation.

Could anyone give me any hints on this question? It's the last question I'm stuck on.

Am i right in saying maximum bending moment occurs the strain equals 0?

Thanks for any help
No, max strain occurs at point of max stress, at the outer fibers of the point of max moment, where the strain gauge is placed.
What is the relationship between stress and strain, and what is the relationship between max bending stress and max moment? Note that you need to know the geometric properties of the beam, not just its I value.

Related to The calculation for the maximum bending moment is to be verified experimentally

1. What is the purpose of verifying the maximum bending moment experimentally?

The purpose of verifying the maximum bending moment experimentally is to ensure that the calculated value is accurate and reliable. By conducting experiments, we can confirm the theoretical calculations and identify any potential errors or discrepancies.

2. How is the maximum bending moment calculated?

The maximum bending moment is calculated by taking into account the applied load, the geometry and material properties of the structure, and the support conditions. This can be done using equations such as the moment-curvature relationship or by using numerical methods such as finite element analysis.

3. What types of experiments are typically used to verify the maximum bending moment?

Experiments used to verify the maximum bending moment can include structural testing, such as bending or torsion tests, and non-destructive testing methods, such as ultrasonic testing or x-ray imaging. These experiments allow us to measure the actual deflections and stresses in the structure and compare them to the calculated values.

4. How do you determine if the experimental results match the calculated values?

To determine if the experimental results match the calculated values, we can use statistical methods such as regression analysis or plotting the data on a graph to visually compare the two sets of values. If there is a high degree of correlation between the two, we can conclude that the calculated value is verified.

5. What are the potential sources of error in experimental verification of maximum bending moment?

Potential sources of error in experimental verification of maximum bending moment can include human error in measurement or data collection, variations in material properties, and limitations in the testing equipment. It is important to carefully plan and conduct experiments to minimize these sources of error and ensure accurate results.