The Method of Images (Electromagnetism)

In summary, the method of images is a mathematical convenience to set a fixed potential to zero for a grounded conductor.
sinus
TL;DR Summary
What is the effect of the plane that being grounded make its electric potential become zero?
Can anyone explain to me why grounded means zero electric potential. I confuse what's the relation between infinite ground conducting plane and its electric potential (the method of images).
1675585195620.png

I have a several question:
1. Why the conductor plane must be infinite, while in reality there's no such one.
2. Why the electric potential must be zero to using this method?
2. If the plane isn't be grounded, does its electric potential not zero? What's exactly that making the potential in the plane zero when we grounded it? How ?
As far as I know that the electron easily run into the ground, does it mean the plane become positive charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's arbitrary what you define to be zero because only potential differences matter. If there is a ground connection then that's usually defined to be zero.

There is too much context missing to answer your individual questions.
1. Conducting plates don't have to be infinite in general.
2. Which method?

Likes sinus and Dale
sinus said:
1. Why the conductor plane must be infinite, while in reality there's no such one.
Because it makes the calculation easier. A large but finite plane would give approximately the same answer, but with more mathematical effort required.

sinus said:
2. Why the electric potential must be zero to using this method?
Because it makes the calculation easier. You can set it to any potential you like, but setting it to zero is convenient.

sinus said:
2. If the plane isn't be grounded, does its electric potential not zero?
Grounding allows the plane to accept charge without changing potential. So grounding produces a structure with a fixed potential. It is merely a mathematical convenience to set that fixed potential to zero.

sinus said:
What's exactly that making the potential in the plane zero when we grounded it? How ?
It is just an arbitrary choice. The value of potential is not physical. Only potential differences are physically meaningful.

sinus said:
As far as I know that the electron easily run into the ground, does it mean the plane become positive charge?
No. As I said above, grounding makes it so that the plane has a fixed potential which does not change as charges are added or removed.

• Informative
Likes sinus and hutchphd
mfb said:
It's arbitrary what you define to be zero because only potential differences matter. If there is a ground connection then that's usually defined to be zero.

There is too much context missing to answer your individual questions.
1. Conducting plates don't have to be infinite in general.
2. Which method?
Thank you for your reply sir, I finally understand the method of images. Sorry for long tome didn't respond. For your feedback,number 2: the method that I meant is the method of images, like why using that solutions method (thank god, now I know the reason)
For number 1, I don't follow. So for a finite conducting planes the method of images is still apply?

Dale said:
Because it makes the calculation easier. A large but finite plane would give approximately the same answer, but with more mathematical effort required.

Because it makes the calculation easier. You can set it to any potential you like, but setting it to zero is convenient.

Grounding allows the plane to accept charge without changing potential. So grounding produces a structure with a fixed potential. It is merely a mathematical convenience to set that fixed potential to zero.

It is just an arbitrary choice. The value of potential is not physical. Only potential differences are physically meaningful.

No. As I said above, grounding makes it so that the plane has a fixed potential which does not change as charges are added or removed.
Thank you so much for your explanation sir, it really helpful for me :)

Related to The Method of Images (Electromagnetism)

What is the Method of Images in electromagnetism?

The Method of Images is a mathematical technique used in electromagnetism to simplify the calculation of electric fields and potentials. It involves replacing the actual charge distribution and boundary conditions with imaginary charges (called image charges) that produce the same electric field in a region of interest, typically involving conductors or grounded planes.

When is the Method of Images typically used?

The Method of Images is typically used in problems involving conductors, such as calculating the electric field near a grounded conducting plane or inside a cavity within a conductor. It is especially useful for solving problems with high symmetry where the boundary conditions can be easily represented by image charges.

How does the Method of Images work?

The Method of Images works by introducing imaginary charges in such a way that the boundary conditions of the problem are satisfied. For example, a point charge near a grounded conducting plane can be replaced with an image charge of equal magnitude but opposite sign, placed symmetrically on the other side of the plane. This setup ensures that the potential on the conducting plane is zero, satisfying the boundary condition.

What are the limitations of the Method of Images?

The Method of Images has limitations in that it is only applicable to problems with certain symmetries and simple geometries, such as planes, spheres, and cylinders. It cannot be easily applied to more complex geometries or situations where the boundary conditions cannot be represented by a manageable number of image charges.

Can the Method of Images be used for magnetic fields?

The Method of Images is primarily used for electrostatic problems involving electric fields and potentials. While similar concepts can be applied to magnetostatics, the method is less commonly used in that context because magnetic fields do not terminate on conductors in the same way electric fields do. Instead, the method is mainly a tool for solving problems in electrostatics.