The most boring quantum quench (looking for a textbook/paper)

In summary, the speakers discussed the topic of quantum quench dynamics, specifically in cases where the Hamiltonian of a system has a sudden change from ##H_0## to ##H_1##. The interesting dynamics occur when ##[H_0, H_1]\neq 0##, but the speakers were interested in finding a textbook or paper that discussed the non-interesting case where ##H_1 = a H_0##, with ##a>1##. One speaker mentioned that this topic may be too trivial for a book, as it only involves a scaling factor in the time evolution. The other speaker expressed the need for a reference to settle a long-standing debate with a colleague, which can be found on
extranjero
Hi,

usually, when we talk about quantum quench dynamics we assume situation when Hamiltonian of a system has a sudden change from ##H_0## to ##H_1##. System was initially in the ground state (or more generally - eigenstate) of ##H_0##. The interesting dynamics appears when the commutator ##[H_0, H_1]\neq 0##. However, due to the some reasons I am looking for a textbook or a paper where non-interesting case ##H_1 = a H_0## is discussed, where ##a## is a number (##a>1## for example). If you know such a book, please, give me a reference.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you'll find this specific topic treated in a book, because it appears to be quite trivial, since ##H_1## and ##H_0## differ only by a choice of energy scale. The eigenstates of ##H_0## and ##H_1## are the same, so nothing happens to the state itself, only the time evolution will be affected, and then only by a trivial scaling factor.

I know it, but in the anyway, it will be good to find this quite simple thing literally printed in a book (there is an old debate about this problem with my friend and he ask a proof in a book).

extranjero said:
I know it, but in the anyway, it will be good to find this quite simple thing literally printed in a book (there is an old debate about this problem with my friend and he ask a proof in a book).
I don't see much interest in this. Would I write a textbook on QM, I don't think this would even make an interesting exercise.

May I ask what the debate is about?

I am asking you to include this example into a future book, because some people (not even a student, but scientist who published in PRB) has a big difficulties with this.

You can see the 2 year debates and arguments on this problem here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_my_solution_of_time-dependent_Schrodinger_equation_right

extranjero said:
I am asking you to include this example into a future book, because some people (not even a student, but scientist who published in PRB) has a big difficulties with this.

You can see the 2 year debates and arguments on this problem here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_my_solution_of_time-dependent_Schrodinger_equation_right
I don't think any textbook would help save that debate. One of the "debaters" seems to be stuck on the fact that it is a step function. It is easy to replace with a nicer "turn-on" function that will play essentially the same role.

Related to The most boring quantum quench (looking for a textbook/paper)

1. What is a quantum quench?

A quantum quench is a sudden and rapid change in the parameters of a quantum system, such as the strength of an external field or the interactions between particles. This leads to a non-equilibrium state in the system, which can exhibit interesting and complex dynamics.

2. Why is the most boring quantum quench important?

The most boring quantum quench refers to a specific type of quench where the system evolves to a trivial or uninteresting state. While this may seem unimportant, studying these types of quenches can provide valuable insights into the behavior of quantum systems and the role of different parameters in their dynamics.

3. How is the most boring quantum quench studied?

The most boring quantum quench is typically studied using theoretical models and simulations, as well as experimental setups in quantum systems. Researchers use techniques such as exact diagonalization, mean field theory, and numerical simulations to analyze the dynamics of the system after the quench.

4. What are some applications of studying the most boring quantum quench?

Studying the most boring quantum quench can have implications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum information, and quantum computing. It can also help in understanding the behavior of complex systems and provide insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the most boring quantum quench have any interesting features?

While the most boring quantum quench may not have any immediate or obvious interesting features, it can exhibit non-trivial behavior in certain cases. For example, in some systems, the quench may lead to the formation of topological defects or the emergence of long-range correlations. Additionally, studying the most boring quantum quench can also help in identifying the conditions under which a system can exhibit interesting dynamics.