The Von Mises stress equation on wikipedia does not balance out

FQVBSina_Jesse
TL;DR Summary
The Von Mises stress relationship on Wikipedia shows an expanded expression using components is equal to 3/2*s_ij*s_ij but this is not possible.
On Wikipedia for Von Mises stress, it shows the following equation:

1706216828219.png

But this does not work out. If I expand the second term I get:

$$ \sigma_v^2 = 1/2[(\sigma_{11}^2-2\sigma_{11}\sigma_{22}+\sigma_{22}^2+\sigma_{22}^2-2\sigma_{22}\sigma_{33}+\sigma_{33}^2+\sigma_{33}^2-2\sigma_{33}\sigma_{11}+\sigma_{11}^2)+6(\sigma_{12}^2+\sigma_{13}^2+\sigma_{23}^2)] $$

$$ \sigma_v^2 = 1/2(2\sigma_{11}^2 + 2\sigma_{22}^2+2\sigma_{33}^2-2\sigma_{11}\sigma_{22}-2\sigma_{22}\sigma_{33}-2\sigma_{33}\sigma_{11}+6\sigma_{12}^2+6\sigma_{13}^2+6\sigma_{23}^2) $$

$$ \sigma_v^2 = \sigma_{11}^2 + \sigma_{22}^2+\sigma_{33}^2-\sigma_{11}\sigma_{22}-\sigma_{22}\sigma_{33}-\sigma_{33}\sigma_{11}+3\sigma_{12}^2+3\sigma_{13}^2+3\sigma_{23}^2 $$

And I don't see how this can be equal to the third term, when expanded equals to:

$$ 3/2s_{ij}s_{ij} = 3/2(\sigma_{11}^2+\sigma_{22}^2+\sigma_{33}^2+\sigma_{12}^2+\sigma_{13}^2+\sigma_{23}^2) $$

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not in a good place to look at this, but I believe s is deviatoric stress.

Frabjous said:
Not in a good place to look at this, but I believe s is deviatoric stress.
You are correct! But then, what is the definition of the following?

$$SVM = sqrt(3/2*\sigma_{ij}*\sigma_{ij})$$

sigma is stress. Previously I thought Svm is Von Mises Stress, but now it might be deviatoric stress, s. Then I am not sure what SVM defined as such is supposed to be.

sijij-(σkk/3)δij
Both s and σ appear in the equation

Related to The Von Mises stress equation on wikipedia does not balance out

1. What is the Von Mises stress equation?

The Von Mises stress equation is a formula used in engineering to determine if a given material will yield under a complex loading condition. It is derived from the distortion energy theory and is commonly used in the field of solid mechanics. The equation is given by:

\[\sigma_v = \sqrt{\frac{(\sigma_1 - \sigma_2)^2 + (\sigma_2 - \sigma_3)^2 + (\sigma_3 - \sigma_1)^2}{2}}\]

where \(\sigma_1\), \(\sigma_2\), and \(\sigma_3\) are the principal stresses.

2. Why might the Von Mises stress equation appear unbalanced on Wikipedia?

The Von Mises stress equation might appear unbalanced on Wikipedia due to typographical errors, incorrect formatting, or incomplete information provided in the article. This can sometimes occur during edits or updates to the page, where the equation may be mistyped or not properly rendered using mathematical markup.

3. How can I verify the correctness of the Von Mises stress equation?

To verify the correctness of the Von Mises stress equation, you can refer to reliable engineering textbooks or peer-reviewed journal articles. Additionally, you can cross-check the equation with other reputable sources online, such as educational websites or university resources that specialize in mechanical engineering or materials science.

4. What should I do if I find an error in the Von Mises stress equation on Wikipedia?

If you find an error in the Von Mises stress equation on Wikipedia, you can edit the page to correct the mistake if you have a Wikipedia account. Alternatively, you can report the error on the article's talk page, where other editors and contributors can review and address the issue. Providing references or sources to support your correction will be helpful.

5. Are there alternative forms of the Von Mises stress equation?

Yes, there are alternative forms of the Von Mises stress equation, depending on the context and the specific stress components involved. For example, in terms of the stress tensor components, the equation can be expressed as:

\[\sigma_v = \sqrt{\frac{3}{2} \left( \sigma_{ij}' \sigma_{ij}' \right)}\]

where \(\sigma_{ij}'\) are the deviatoric stress components. These alternative forms are mathematically equivalent and can be used depending on the given problem's requirements.