The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
Mk said:
honestrosewater: I liked yours, it was clever and creative.
Ah, my genius is appreciated at last! I thought it was a real challenge to the non-googlers, but they must like a challenge anyway ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
This one Evo might get if she comes quick enough:

Franzbear is walking in a forest and comes a clearing, where she/he/it sees a person. Franzbear is terrified, and lost, after going down that wooden rollercoaster. She asks the person where she is and he replies: Kanguru. Franzbear stands there and looks at him befuddled, and feels even more lost than before. Franzbear shoots him, then jumps off a nearby cliff, because Franzbear is seemingly random. What country is Franzbear in, and of what heritage is the person Franzbear asks?

Last edited:
I would guess the googlers will get this one before someone that doesn't have to does.

Sorry, had to go.

Eratosthenes

Close enough. I was thinking of the shadow that was seen in the well at Alexandria, near the the library, but not in a deep vertical well near Syene (now Aswan), in southern Egypt, which is what clued him in.

Mk said:
What country is Franzbear in, and of what heritage is the person Franzbear asks?
I would expect Australia and Aboriginal.

Danger said:
I would expect Australia and Aboriginal.
I happen to know this is the correct anser. Your turn.

Franzbear is Cap'n Cook, I take it ?

Chew on this till Danger wakes up...

In the autumn of 1789, Dr. Jo pleaded for the use of this thing on grounds of humanity and "equality". What was it ?

Gokul43201 said:
In the autumn of 1789, Dr. Jo pleaded for the use of this thing on grounds of humanity and "equality". What was it ?
Would "Jo" be short for "Joseph"? And would this have anything to do with Robespierre's reign of terror during the French Revolution?

zoobyshoe said:
Would "Jo" be short for "Joseph"? And would this have anything to do with Robespierre's reign of terror during the French Revolution?
aye and aye...anser up and go next.

Gokul43201 said:
aye and aye...
Oh. In that case I have no idea.

...and I thought this was was going to go down quick and easy; you know, no pain at all !

Gokul43201 said:
...and I thought this was was going to go down quick and easy; you know, no pain at all !
I have no idea what this joke about decapitation means.

During the conflict, he sometimes resorted to using old window panes.

zoobyshoe said:
Oh. In that case I have no idea.
You certainly better be kidding there... :bugeye:

edit: Never mind; your next posts came up while I was writing that. :redface:

zoobyshoe said:
This is not related to Gokul's quetion. It is a new clue altogether.

zoobyshoe said:
This is not the guy that came up with DDT, is it ? I think not...and I'm off.

BTW, the previous anser, as unansered by Zoob, was the guillotine.

Gokul43201 said:
This is not the guy that came up with DDT, is it ? I think not...and I'm off.
No, not the DDT guy.

zoobyshoe said:

Some pioneer of photography perhaps?

brewnog said:
Some pioneer of photography perhaps?
That certainly makes sense. Photos were done on glass plates. That 'Brownie' guy that the Kodak/Brownie camera was named for? Or George Eastman? Maybe even earlier than that.

Danger said:
That certainly makes sense. Photos were done on glass plates. That 'Brownie' guy that the Kodak/Brownie camera was named for? Or George Eastman? Maybe even earlier than that.

I like the idea of the de Guerre guy, but only because his name is a type of conflict.

brewnog said:
I like the idea of the de Guerre guy, but only because his name is a type of conflict.
I know who you mean. Not him.

zoobyshoe said:
I know who you mean. Not him.
Do I take this to mean that the photography part is right, and we just need a name?

Danger said:
Do I take this to mean that the photography part is right, and we just need a name?
You can take it to mean it isn't that guy. That is all.

Talbot? Morse?

I think I need another clue.

Ooh, Archer!

During the conflict, he sometimes resorted to using old window panes scavenged from destroyed houses.

brewnog said:
Talbot? Morse?

brewnog said:
Ooh, Archer!
None of these.

zoobyshoe said:
During the conflict, he sometimes resorted to using old window panes scavenged from destroyed houses.
I'll go back to my original train of thought then, but I don't think it's right. All that comes to mind is a war-time doctor who might have used glass for scalpels.

"The conflict" was none other than "The War Of Northern Agression."

zoobyshoe said:
"The conflict" was none other than "The War Of Northern Agression."
I'm out then. I've never heard that term. To me, it could mean your Civil War, or the Korean conflict, Viet Nam... anything with north and south sides.

I'm out too, but you knew that. :smile:

I can't find anything.

"I wish that I was in the land of cotton
Old times there, are not forgotten,
Look away...
Look away...
Look away...
*****land!

zoobyshoe said:
"I wish that I was in the land of cotton
Old times there, are not forgotten,
Look away...
Look away...
Look away...
*****land!
Right! Dixie Cups! I forgot that they used to be made out of glass.

So far it has something to do with the Civil War or the American South (The War of Northern Aggression I've now learned is what the Southerners call the Civil War...I never knew that before having always lived north of the Mason Dixon line). I can't find anything about scavenging of window panes other than in the general sense that everything was scavenged.

Moonbear said:
So far it has something to do with the Civil War
Well, my curiosity must wait. Bed time. See you tomorrow.