The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,016
He was a physicist.It's like saying Hilbert was a physicist,just because Hilbert spaces are crucial in physics and the Hilbert action for the gravitational field is essential in GR.

Electrolysis came after "chemistry was revolutionized".

Need i say that this is not a technical question,so it can be answered by virtually anyone...?

Daniel.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
The Centrifuge, invented by Benjamin Robins in the 18th century?

Only chem-pun I can think of around "revolutionized"...

• #1,018
dextercioby said:
He was a physicist.It's like saying Hilbert was a physicist,just because Hilbert spaces are crucial in physics and the Hilbert action for the gravitational field is essential in GR.

Electrolysis came after "chemistry was revolutionized".

Daniel.
Excluding Faraday as the correct answer on the basis he wasn't a chemist, rather than because it isn't the answer your looking for, is snooty and gratitously picayune, since electrochemistry did revolutionise chemistry.

• #1,019
The Periodic Table of Elements, Dmitri Ivancritch Mendeléeff, 1864?? Edit: Oops, already guessed. :redface:

• #1,020
Nope,i excluded Faraday,simply because it was not a revolution. in the sense putting a *************** in a chemistry lab was.:wink:

Mendeleev's first published Table of Elements was in 1869.:wink:

Daniel.

• #1,021
"Revolutionised Chemistry" is a pun of some sort.

• #1,022
The compound microscope, Zacharias Janssen, ~1590??

• #1,023
dextercioby said:
it was not a revolution. in the sense putting a *************** in a chemistry lab was.:wink:

Bench? Sink? Blackboard? Fume cupboard? Fridge? Door? :smile:

• #1,024
Chemists don't need a microscope more than a *********************.

Good guess.That's a biology lab,though.

Daniel.

• #1,025
Yeah, I figured- but the question does seem very broad. Was is some kind of thermometer?? -No one is stealing this from me either! :devil:

• #1,026
It's going to turn out to be something like Cavendish being the first person to bring a round stool into the lab or something along those lines.

• #1,027
I think it was invented by that time,but nope,at that time,putting it in a lab was not crucial.

"Revolutionized chemistry=It literally changed the way chemistry was (being) done".

Daniel.

• #1,028
zoobyshoe said:
It's going to turn out to be something like Cavendish being the first person to bring a round stool into the lab or something along those lines.

It's really essential.You won't believe that simple it is. :wink:

Daniel.

• #1,029
dextercioby said:
It's really essential.You won't believe that simple it is. :wink:

Daniel.
Artificial illumination? Say, an oil lamp?

• #1,030
centrifuge?

• #1,031
Evo's not original (check out the previous page with Ivan's answer).Nope,it's not a lighting tool.

Daniel.

EDIT:You're not original with the centrifuge,either. :-p

Last edited:
  • #1,032
dextercioby said:
Evo's not original (check out the previous page with Ivan's answer).Nope,it's not a lighting tool.

Daniel.
sorry, I hadn't read all posts, not even the quetion. :redface: I changed it.

• #1,033
Test tube?

• #1,034
Bunsen burner?

• #1,035
First chemistry textbook, Andreas Libavius, 1597??
Vacuum pump, Otto von Guericke, 1645??

Eh, the pre-dating electrolysis was a hint, right?

Last edited:
  • #1,036
Nope to test tube,Bunsen burner,well,it's the 3-rd time i see that answer,but Bunsen was born and worked in the XVIII-th century.

Daniel.

• #1,037
acidimeter?

• #1,038
Interesting,but nope,vacuum pump is in a plasma physics lab.Chemists would be dead without a ***************** in their lab.

Daniel.

• #1,039
A ventilation system?!?

• #1,040
Evo said:
acidimeter?

At that time,they didn't know what acid was.

Please,guess it.If you don't,u'll see that those answers were/are unbelievebly complicated and u'll get a bit of frustration,too.

Daniel.

• #1,041
dextercioby said:
Need i say that this is not a technical question,so it can be answered by virtually anyone...?
It is an object/instrument, but not a technical one.

Chamber pot?

• #1,042
dextercioby said:
At that time,they didn't know what acid was.

Please,guess it.If you don't,u'll see that those answers were/are unbelievebly complicated and u'll get a bit of frustration,too.

Daniel.
Did you ever state the century? Or will that give it away?

• #1,043
COSHH risk assessment?

Coffee machine?

• #1,044
Evo said:
Did you ever state the century? Or will that give it away?

I'm asking for the object,which should be the easy part,then the guy who did it and the year (with approximation) in which it happened.

The century will be given as a clue,if you can't find the name and the year.

But first,the easy part.

No,to Brewnog's jokes.

Daniel.

• #1,045
brewnog said:
Coffee machine?
Heh, that would be math ;)

Okay some guesses: protective clothing (including glasses), storage device, a book, type of camera, uhhh... fire predates chemistry, so I guess that wouldn't have really revolutionized it?

• #1,046
They hadn't discovered corrosive substances,nor dangerous gases which might blow up.Daguerre was not born.:wink: And Gutenberg had already died.

Daniel.

• #1,047
The match?

Robert Boyle (1680), John Walker (1827) or Charles Sauria (1830) are possible answers to that one.

• #1,048
I don't know what they used to light the fire.But they were doing it,so this is not the answer.

Daniel.

• #1,049
Fire extinguisher!

• #1,050
No offense,but the fire extinguisher didn't quite revolutionize chemistry.:smile:

Daniel.