The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,226
yomamma said:
OMG! Augusta Ada King! APE!?
Yes correct.
Sorry I had to go again.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
Ivan Seeking said:
Well come on yomamma, how about another clue?
okay...it's VERY related to our smileys. but it has a special characteristic that the smileys don't

• #1,228
Okay, how about giving it up and pick a new one?

• #1,229
k you go ivan

• #1,230
What was it?

• #1,231
it was a sphere

• #1,232
Ah... clever. I've never really been very good at those types of riddles. You want to try another or wait for Ivan to get back?

• #1,233
I thought so, so I'll go next :-p

In 1897 the state legislature of Indiana passed a bill that (amongst other things) proclaimed that "this thing" henceforth take the value of about 9.2. Entirely by accident, the bill didn't make it past the Senate.

What was it ?

• #1,234
Hahahahahaha... that's hilarious.

• #1,235
Gokul43201 said:

In 1897 the state legislature of Indiana passed a bill that (amongst other things) proclaimed that "this thing" henceforth take the value of about 9.2. Entirely by accident, the bill didn't make it past the Senate.

What was it ?

Is that unitless?

• #1,236
Gokul43201 said:

What was it ?

Oh my, it was pi!

The critical passage in the bill is: "...disclosing the fourth important fact, that the ratio of the diameter and circumference is as five-fourths to four..." This statement claims that pi = 3.2 should be the law of Indiana (there is another passage that can be interpreted as giving a value of pi equal to 16/sqrt(3) which is approximately equal to 9.2).
http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/Labo/Ilan.Vardi/pi.html

• #1,237
I've lost track here...was this an interim clue or an official clue? I can give one unless we're waiting for another.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm going to sleep. I wouldn't want to start a clue and then leave.

Last edited:
  • #1,238
One for the future, It flies but has no wings, it is not monochromatic but is
mono.

• #1,239
Mag-Lev? A monorail?

• #1,240
Ahhh! I reckon you might have hit the nail on the, urm, spot there.

• #1,241
brewnog said:
Ahhh! I reckon you might have hit the nail on the, urm, spot there.
Naw, you silly bugger. It's obviously fly-fishing line... :-p

I might have to hit the panic rack and get out of here with zero notice pretty soon. Lightning in the area and I don't have a surge protector.

• #1,242
Moonbear is due a question anyway.

• #1,243
WOW! Moonbear is not here!

Okay, here's one.

Two years before Special Relativity, what unlikely event transpired that would later become a daily occurence.

• #1,244
Ivan Seeking said:
Two years before Special Relativity, what unlikely event transpired that would later become a daily occurence.
Powered flight?

• #1,245
Not powered flight...

Unlikely in the sense of all four coordinates.

• #1,246
Le prémière Tour de France...?

First powered heavier-than-air flight?

Daniel.

• #1,247
Lorentz transformations...?(Lorentzian boosts).

Wiki gives it to 1904.

Daniel.

• #1,248
No, eh no. But of the four coordinates, we really need only consider three coordinates each. The third coordinate necessarily being the same according to the first two.

• #1,249
So as not to be too vague

that was unlikely in the sense of the (all four) coordinates. [But of the four coordinates, we really need only consider three coordinates each. The third coordinate necessarily being the same according to the first two].

So we are talking about two things involved in this event.

• #1,250
41.6 X 84.7
41.9 X 80.5
39.6 X 80.9
39.1 X 84.8

• #1,251
41.6n X 84.7w
41.9n X 80.5w
39.6n X 80.9w
39.1n X 84.8w

1903?

• #1,252
Something that happened in Ohio?

• #1,253
Mag-Lev? A monorail?
nyet

• #1,254
The Wright Brothers flew their glider in 1903.

• #1,255
rachmaninoff said:
Something that happened in Ohio?

Yes, but since Wolram is still up I just post my answer.

The first two car crash occurred in Ohio in 1903. They had been the only two cars in the state at the time.
http://www.weitzlux.com/freecarcrashattorneyevaluation_764.html

Unlikely but true, the two cars had to be in the same place at the same time, hence the four coordinates, but the third, altitude, is determined by the first two when confined to the Earth's surface. The four sets of numbers given next were the approx latitude and longitude of the four corners of the state of Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,256
oh this is so confusing, my clue is so easy, mono = singular, i can not keep up
with this thread, the fly is not adverse no cabbage

• #1,257
wolram said:
the fly is not adverse no cabbage

:confused:

Was that an error or a clue?

• #1,258
Spider's silk?

• #1,259
Was that an error or a clue?

oh cobblers,sorry. it should be, "not adverse to cabbage".
fly, single, no wings, salute.

• #1,260
Uhm, more hints? Is it a machine?