The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,331
Whoops, I forgot about Cameroon.

No, I thought that was pretty good... Maybe a few more clues would have helped. It is tough because you can hardly say anything without giving it away. I was definitely burning up Google:Langauge and alphabet, politics, laws, geography, industry... and for six or seven countries .

back in a few minutes

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,332
Measuring 600' X 100' X 50' [one significant figure], hush was the word. For a deeply held secret was at stake.

• #1,333
Neptune
Golf
CIA

• #1,334
Philadelphia project, project rainbow USS Eldridge?

• #1,335
No, this was real. :biggrin:

• #1,336
In fact I have stood within a few hundred feet of this.

• #1,337
An indirect clue:
How to catch a fly.

• #1,338
The Eldridge was a real ship. It's just the project that is fictional. Hmm, I probably shouldn't guess Noah's ark either then. :biggrin:

Is it the world's largest bee hive?

• #1,339
World's largest fly swatter?

• #1,340
Is it the world's largest bee hive?

No

• #1,341
Evo said:
World's largest fly swatter?

No, :biggrin: , that last clue has an exclusive context that cannot be extrapolated - unless you know exactly how it connects, don't guess because you won't.

• #1,342
Just think of the skill you would need to hit a fly with something this size. :biggrin:

• #1,343
ooh, this is a good thread, bit too clever for me though.

• #1,344
Andy said:
ooh, this is a good thread, bit too clever for me though.

Ahh, come on Andy, put your google skills to the test.

Another clue
Benicia

• #1,345
I have a headache and can't google. :frown:

• #1,346
The trash dump in Benicia, California?

You know, the one where they have that secret military base with all the black helicopters.

• #1,347
Huckleberry said:
The trash dump in Benicia, California?

No...

You know, the one where they have that secret military base with all the black helicopters.[/QUOTE]

,,,but that answer finds a bit of a connection.

• #1,348
but I can neither confirm nor deny whether records exist

• #1,349
anything to do with the neptune project with all those fibre optic cables?

• #1,350
RAF Fylingdale?

• #1,351
I know, its a giant paper mache duck with a handlebar moustache named Groucho. The duck is named Groucho, not the moustache.

• #1,352
RAF Fylingdale?

No

• #1,353
obviously not my fibre optic thing in da pacific

• #1,354
Yes or no, Ivan : Is it in the Bay Area ?

• #1,355
obviously not my fibre optic thing in da pacific

no.

One more clue and then I have to go for just a bit.

• #1,356
Yes or no, Ivan : Is it in the Bay Area ?
Yes.

• #1,357
1973 was the year the draft was rescinded. Something military, methinks ...

• #1,358
Howard ...

• #1,359
Project Jennifer
Hughes Glomar Explorer (AG 193)

I had thought the Spruce Goose, but the dimensions didn't fit, and then the date was wrong from your later hint.

• #1,360
Evo said:
Project Jennifer
Hughes Glomar Explorer (AG 193)

I had thought the Spruce Goose, but the dimensions didn't fit, and then the date was wrong from your later hint.

CORRECT! Neptune refers to the sea.

The Hughes Glomar Explorer [HGE] was built in 1973 by Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. for an intricate CIA undertaking. The mission of Glomar Explorer was to raise a Soviet nulear submarine [the deeply held secret] that had sunk in the Pacific, resting on the ocean floor nearly 17,000 ft. ...The Soviet Golf-II Class ballistic missile submarine sank on April 11, 1968, ...

...the vessel has since been mothballed with the Naval Reserve Fleet in Suisun Bay CA, where it could be seen by cars crossing the Benicia bridge on U.S. Highway 680 east of San Francisco.

...This was the first instance of an agency using the "can neither confirm nor deny" answer in response to a FOIA request. Since then, the terms "Glomar response," and "Glomarization" are used to describe an agency’s response when they can neither confirm nor deny whether records exist.
http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/jennifer.htm

When this was a very secret enterprise in the early 70's, it was sometimes docked in Long Beach harbor. We passed it in our boat few times while heading out to fish. For some reason my dad knew that it was involved in work for the CIA, so we made a real point to take a look; and stand and wave at the secret agents as we went by.

• #1,361
Oh yes, about the time that he refused to wear clothes any longer, Howard Hughes wrote an instruction manual for his employees. It instructed them how to catch flies with their bare hands.

• #1,362
This is pictorial.

Attachments

• thing1.jpe
    thing1.jpe
    7.4 KB · Views: 436
  • #1,363
curved tetrahedral surface with 1 verticy open and filled with a spherical object and is surrounded by an eliptical object with an interesting pattern?

that's the best I could do...

• #1,364
Too easy.:biggrin:

• #1,365
oohh! is it some kind of clock?