The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,576
honestrosewater said:
:smile: An A for creativity.
Thanks, Rosie. I was starting to think that nobody was going to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,577
Ivan Seeking said:
Those are key words associated with the thing.
Mercury? As in messenger?

Ant? As in underground worker?

Hel? As in subterranean punishment? Or a name?

Babel? As in a great human project gone awry?

• #1,578
Danger said:
Thanks, Rosie. I was starting to think that nobody was going to get that.
What did it mean?

• #1,579
No

No

Holy cow, I should have said Hel, I think.

yes

• #1,580
Ivan Seeking said:
No

No

Holy cow, I should have said Hel, I think.

yes
All very biblical. But not Adam and Eve. Instead, Adam and Fred, No?

• #1,581
Another clue

Robot

• #1,582
Ivan Seeking said:
Another clue

Robot
Check my last post. I already know the anser.

• #1,583
zoobyshoe said:
Check my last post. I already know the anser.

:smile: Yep, sorry, I missed that.

• #1,584
zoobyshoe said:
What did it mean?
Jimmy Hoffa... Teamsters boss... UAW... 'Detroit Iron'... ends up in a cement overcoat...

• #1,585
Ivan Seeking said:
:smile: Yep, sorry, I missed that.
I knew as soon as I saw the dates. You've also mentioned this a couple times as a "favorite". For reasons that should be clear, the clues took some research.

• #1,586
So the answer is the movie Metropolis. The soundtrack includes songs by Freddy Mercury and Adam Ant, Bable is a symbol in the movie and a song title from the modern soundtrack, and Hel was the name of the lost love of the mad scientist. This was the first time that the concept of a robot was used in a movie.

• #1,587
Danger said:
Jimmy Hoffa... Teamsters boss... UAW... 'Detroit Iron'... ends up in a cement overcoat...
"Found cement" makes sence, but I don't see "Went looking for iron" really applying.

• #1,588
Ivan Seeking said:
So the answer is the movie Metropolis. The soundtrack includes songs by Freddy Mercury and Adam Ant, Bable is a symbol in the movie and a song title from the modern soundtrack, and Hel was the name of the lost love of the mad scientist. This was the first time that the concept of a robot was used in a movie.
Correct! Your turn.

• #1,589
Ivan Seeking said:
What the hell you talkin' about, Willis? Freddy and Adam's parents weren't born when that movie came out, and it was a silent anyhow. 1923 or some such.

• #1,590
zoobyshoe said:
Correct! Your turn.

I'm sorry, was this going to be our little secret? :smile:

• #1,591
Ivan Seeking said:
I'm sorry, was this going to be our little secret? :smile:
I didn't want to spring the right answer cause I don't have a good clue ready, but I wanted you to know I had the right answer. Go ahead and post another, I forfeit my turn due to being too lazy to come up with something.

• #1,592
Wow zooby, I didn't know you were such a great dancer!

• #1,593
Mk said:
Wow zooby, I didn't know you were such a great dancer!
What does this mean?

• #1,594
zoobyshoe said:
What does this mean?

Is that your question? :biggrin:

If anyone else want to go, please proceed. Otherwise I'll be back with a question shortly, but I can't stick around too long.

• #1,595
Well, I got caught up watching a TV show and now I have to go.

What was it?

• #1,596
zoobyshoe said:
"Found cement" makes sence, but I don't see "Went looking for iron" really applying.
In the street-rod scene, at least up here, US-built cars are called 'Detroit Iron'. In 1969, the Teamsters under Jimmy Hoffa took over the United Automobile Workers. (They called it a 'merger', but you know how power-mad Hoffa was...)

• #1,597
zoobyshoe said:
What does this mean?
Function: pronoun
Inflected Form(s): plural these /'[th]Ez/
Etymology: Middle English, pronoun & adjective, from Old English thes (masculine), this (neuter); akin to Old High German dese this, Old English thæt that
1 a (1) : the person, thing, or idea that is present or near in place, time, or thought or that has just been mentioned <these are my hands> (2) : what is stated in the following phrase, clause, or discourse <I can only say this: it wasn't here yesterday> b : this time or place <expected to return before this>
2 a : the one nearer or more immediately under observation or discussion <this is iron and that is tin> b : the one more recently referred to

Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): plural these
1 a : being the person, thing, or idea that is present or near in place, time, or thought or that has just been mentioned <this book is mine> <early this morning> b : constituting the immediately following part of the present discourse c : constituting the immediate past or future <friends all these years> d : being one not previously mentioned -- used especially in narrative to give a sense of immediacy or vividness <then this guy runs in>
2 : being the nearer at hand or more immediately under observation or discussion <this car or that one>

Function: adverb
: to the degree or extent indicated by something in the immediate context or situation <didn't expect to wait this long>
____

A villain in a fairytale, there are four in the neighborhood.

• #1,598
This may have contributed fundamentally to the evolution of Quantum Mechanics. We will never know for sure to what extent this is true, but it does seem that the cat is out of the bag.

Coupled
time-dependence
Snow
Wave

• #1,599
Was it a thought experiment?

• #1,601
No, and no.

Brrrrrrrrr...
Bed

• #1,602
Was the cat out of the bag supposed to just be funny, or is it clueish?

• #1,603
It was a clue with two meanings.

Next clue: Inspiration

• #1,604
Schrödinger's cat

• #1,605
No, but you're on the right track.

Alps

• #1,606
Okay and here are the final clues
Christmas and New Year's, 1925-26.

• #1,607
Going with just one clue on this (inspiration) : Is it Thermionic Emission, noticed by Edison ?

• #1,608
Ivan Seeking said:
Okay and here are the final clues
Christmas and New Year's, 1925-26.
The dates mean nothing to me, but I was thinking of the time-dependent version Schrodinger's wave equation.

• #1,609
Edit:
Going with just one clue on this (inspiration) : Is it Thermionic Emission, noticed by Edison ?

No, the inspiration was of a different nature.

Couple

Last edited:
  • #1,610
The Gamma-Ray Microscope