The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
ok you just have to find another name for Ahura Mazda
to find the distant thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Temple Of Zoroaster?

its not earthly, only its namesake

Hmm, other names for Ahura Mazda were Ormazd, which evolved to Ormuzd. Long after, Ormuzd morphed to Hormuz, though I don't know if the diety was ever called this by worshippers.
Njorl

Ah, Hindus who were converted in the heyday of the Persian Empire associated Ahura Mazda with Varuna. In the early vedic days, Varuna was the keeper of the celestial waters.

...and it seems Varuna is a large Kuiper belt object, nearly as large as Pluto.

Njorl

Njorl,
you are correct, its a new hobby of mine to associate
celestial bodies with their name sake

Njorl,
have you a question? that is within the bounds of thread
participants ken :biggrin:

Oh yeah. Umm...

Contrary to what the name implies, it was made of birch. It was the largest of it's kind ever made. I have a couple hints ready, but this might be enough.

Njorl

Njorl said:
Contrary to what the name implies, it was made of birch. It was the largest of it's kind ever made. I have a couple hints ready, but this might be enough.

Njorl

The "Spruce Goose"?

I guess you won't need those hints after all.

Yep.

Njorl

do you have one LURCH?

this wheel has a diameter of 72 feet 6 inches, (over 22 metres), and a width of 6 feet.

London Eye (the millenium wheel thingy)

good guess jimmy p , but this wheel is much older

wolram said:
this wheel has a diameter of 72 feet 6 inches, (over 22 metres), and a width of 6 feet.

That's that big water wheel in Europe, Isabelle I think it's called.

I like big machines! :biggrin:

Today's clocks are read by site. By what sense did one tell time in early (c. 18th century) Chinese homes?

http://www.isle-of-man.com/information/lwheel.htm

i should take umbrage with you for saying EUROPE
but i forgive you :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's clocks are read by site. By what sense did one tell time in early (c. 18th century) Chinese homes?
i know the chinese had a facination for birds, and i think
some of their clocks had birds tweet the time

wolram said:
i know the chinese had a facination for birds, and i think some of their clocks had birds tweet the time
And so...by what sense would the chinese have sensed the time?

wolram said:
i know the chinese had a facination for birds, and i think
some of their clocks had birds tweet the time

Nope, not by hearing. But you are correct in that properly identifying the device will give the sense.

Aha! Sense of smell! The Chinese would speak of lumps of time as "the time it takes to burn a stick of incense."

Amateur electrical experimentor, Benjamin Franklin, nearly killed himself with electricity once. Not, however, when he flew a kite during an electrical storm, but when he was walking holding two charged Leyden jars, on his way to do what?

Last edited:
cook a turkey

wolram said:
cook a turkey
So close, and yet so far. That isn't the specific task he was on his way to perform when he shocked himself. It was, indeed, thanksgiving day, however, and a turkey was to be cooked that day, which is a hint.

remove the feathers?

Evo said:
remove the feathers?
No. He was on his way to to something with the two charged leyden jars.

you're telling me that shocking a turkey with two leyden jars won't loosen it's feathers? :wink:

Evo said:
you're telling me that shocking a turkey with two leyden jars won't loosen it's feathers? :wink:
Hmmmm. I can't tell if your suggestion he shocked the turkey is a joke or not. Either way, it is correct. This is how Franklin killed his thanksgiving turkeys.

Your turn, Evo.

It's transmitters broadcast on frequencies at 20 and 40 MHz.

a turkey broadcasts on 20 and 40 MHz?
ohhhh new question silly me.

It's a very special turkey.

sputnik, if my old ham radio book is right.

wolram said:
sputnik, if my old ham radio book is right.
Damn, you are good!

no just an old hobby