The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #2,346
More clues! :cry:

Mk, is that a trick question? 57*N 12*E?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,347
In order:
You must unscramble the letters.

They form two words, and some letters are rotated, or backwards. :devil:

The Mac version recently came out.

Make sure you've turned on the right extra layers!

Check on the coast, a bit to the East.

Last edited:
  • #2,348
Mk said:
In order:
You must unscramble the letters.

They form two words, and some letters are rotated, or backwards. :devil:

The Mac version recently came out.
Yeah, Google Earth, right? I got that much.
Make sure you've turned on the right extra layers!

Check on the coast, a bit to the East.
Bah... guess I have to get it. Red fox, Tripoli, submarines... hmmm...

Last edited:
  • #2,349
Yep. :smile:

• #2,350
Oh, yeah, who's the master?

The Foxtrot Subs in Tripoli are at approximately 32*54' N 13*13' E

• #2,351
No, not quite.

You see, I think you are looking at the wrong Tripoli. I meant the one in Tanzania. :frown:

Ha ha, just kidding. You win!

• #2,352
It is right in front of you.

• #2,353
Ivan Seeking said:
It is right in front of you.
Are you watching me again?

Something on our computer screens?

Another trick question? A LASER mouse?

Last edited:
  • #2,354
no
maybe, maybe not.
no

Quick definitions (telekinesis)

noun: the power to move something by thinking about it without the application of physical force.

I would end the sentence after "by thinking about it", but the defintion given works well enough in this case.

Last edited:
  • #2,355
I can type better by thinking about it, then trying.

The little mouse on the screen, I can move that like by thinking about it.

• #2,356
Okay, close enough. A quadraplegic first moved a cursor on a computer screen by thinking about it[correctly]. Of course, in principle that's all that you need to connect to physical systems and control them with thought; hence artificial telekinesis.

Mk, what do you mean that you can move the cursor by thinking about it?

Last edited:
  • #2,357
What's going on here? It looks like you congratulated me, then asked what I meant.

• #2,358
Ivan Seeking said:
Okay, close enough. A quadraplegic first moved a cursor on a computer screen by thinking about it[correctly]. Of course, in principle that's all that you need to connect to physical systems and control them with thought; hence artificial telekinesis.

Mk, what do you mean that you can move the cursor by thinking about it?
Oh, I should have gotten that; I even saw a show about those sensor implants. Cool stuff.

Someone else can go while I think of a clue from Mk's. :smile:

• #2,359
No, no no. Honestrosewater gets a turn. I didn't know the answer anyway.

• #2,360
I don't have anymore clues. Okay, you must wear masks and can't play the same way twice. What do you call a follower of the theological system developed by the person who the boy who this game is named after is named after?

Last edited:
  • #2,361
What kind of culture is this game played in?

I need a hint.

• #2,362
I imagine it helps to play at least partially in your imagination. Ball appears in game's name.

• #2,363
The boy is Confucius, and the religion is Confucianism, the followers are Confused, and the game is Confusing-ball.

• #2,364
Hee hee. Okay, random bits of info...

male child of russ watters
tiger
Job 41

• #2,365
:frown: Did anyone look up Job 41? It's about something pretty rare. The striped friend of the boy who the game is named after is named after a guy who wrote a book about the creature in Job 41 ... or the COMMONWEALTH... uh... or STATE... (in Latin, CIVITAS), which is but an artificial man, though of greater stature and strength than the natural, for whose protection and defence it was intended; and in which the sovereignty is an artificial soul, as giving life and motion to the whole body; the magistrates and other officers of judicature and execution, artificial joints; reward and punishment (by which fastened to the seat of the sovereignty, every joint and member is moved to perform his duty) are the nerves, that do the same in the body natural; the wealth and riches of all the particular members are the strength; salus populi (the people's safety) its business; counsellors, by whom all things needful for it to know are suggested unto it, are the memory; equity and laws, an artificial reason and will; concord, health; sedition, sickness; and civil war, death... :zzz:

• #2,366
Huh? You lost me at "Today, 3:37, honestrosewater"

• #2,367
Mk said:
Huh? You lost me at "Today, 3:37, honestrosewater"
You're only 3 hours ahead of me?

• #2,368
Oh, right, the clue. :-p

It's in a friggin comic strip... a comic strip about a boy's adventures with his doll... er, stuffed tiger... fierce, stuffed tiger...

Erm, you did realize that Job is a book of the Bible? And 41 refers to the chapter of the book... ?? I thought that was a pretty big clue...

Last edited:
  • #2,369
I haven't tried since I asked you for a hint :redface:

If you are on the East Coast, then I am 15 hours ahead of you. It was 3:35 PM, on Tuesday here.

• #2,370
What do you call a follower of the theological system developed by the person who the boy who this game is named after is named after?
Calvanist.

• #2,371
No, Calvinist. :wink:

• #2,372
Why isn't anyone else participating? Do we need to make the questions easier? Its not as much fun without competition, both racing to get the answer! That's the thrill!

Of the 8 great Neolithic founder crops, one of which's oil was boiled for a paint binder or wood finisher. Approximately how many kilojoules of food energy does the oil store per 0.1 kilograms?

Wow this thread is very informative. I've learned so many things I didn't know.

Last edited:
  • #2,373
Clue: Linaceae

• #2,374
Mk said:
Why isn't anyone else participating? Do we need to make the questions easier? Its not as much fun without competition, both racing to get the answer! That's the thrill!

Of the 8 great Neolithic founder crops, one of which's oil was boiled for a paint binder or wood finisher. Approximately how many kilojoules of food energy does the oil store per 0.1 kilograms?

Wow this thread is very informative. I've learned so many things I didn't know.

No idea about the food energy value, but i think flax was used for just about every thing way back then.

• #2,375
Ooooh, not played this thread for ages!

Linseed?

• #2,376
Yes, you are both on the right track.

• #2,377
I give up, i can not find any site that gives energy values.

• #2,378
Linseed oil, 1880 kilojoules of energy per 100g.

Do I win?

• #2,380
Brewnog wins! Post a question.