Thermodynamics Rigid tank problem

In summary, the closed, rigid tank filled with water undergoes a cooling process from 20 bar to 4 bar. By using the quality to calculate specific internal energies and specific volume, the change in internal energy is found to be -97.786 kJ. However, the final answer does not agree with the given answer of -8282 kJ.
jorsh

Homework Statement

A closed, rigid tank filled with water, initially at 20 bar, a quality of 80%, and a volume of .5 m^3, is cooled until the pressure reaches 4 bar. Evaluate the heat transfer, in kJ, and draw the process in a T-v diagram

Homework Equations

ΔU=Q-W (but W goes to zero here because of the constant volume)
u= ugX + (1-x)uf
v= vgX + (1-x)vf

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so. I know that the volume is constant. My plan was to use the quality to calculate specific internal energies at 20 bar and 4 bar, thus finding the change in internal energy.
I ended up with u1(20 bar) = 2261.528 kJ/kg and u2(4 bar) = 2163.742 kJ/kg using the above equation using quality.

However, it wants the answer in kJ, so I had to find the specific volume to find the mass to cancel the kJ/kg. So, i used vg and vf at 20 bar (using the equation v=vgx + (1-x)vf) and I got .07993934 m^3/kg. I divided the given .5 m^3 by the specific volume I got, and received the answer of 6.255 kg. I then multiplied this by the change in internal energy, which I found to be -97.786 (cooling process, makes sense).

The final answer I calculated was -611.65 kJ. My professor gave the answers in class so we could check, but did not go through the problems specifically. This answer does not agree with his answer of -8282 kJ. Maybe -82.82? I have it written down as -8282.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Related to Thermodynamics Rigid tank problem

What is a "rigid tank problem" in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, a rigid tank problem refers to a scenario where a closed container, such as a tank or cylinder, is filled with a gas or liquid and undergoes changes in pressure, temperature, or volume. This type of problem is commonly used to study the behavior of ideal gases and the laws of thermodynamics.

What are the assumptions made in a rigid tank problem?

The main assumptions made in a rigid tank problem are that the container is completely sealed and does not allow any matter to enter or leave, and that the walls of the container are perfectly rigid and do not deform under pressure. Additionally, it is assumed that the gas or liquid inside the container behaves according to the ideal gas law or other relevant thermodynamic equations.

How do you solve a rigid tank problem?

To solve a rigid tank problem, you will typically need to use the first and second laws of thermodynamics, along with other relevant equations, to determine the changes in pressure, temperature, and volume of the gas or liquid inside the container. These calculations often involve using the ideal gas law, the energy equation, and the mass balance equation. It is also important to carefully consider the initial and final conditions of the system.

What are some real-life applications of rigid tank problems?

Rigid tank problems have many practical applications in engineering and physics. For example, they can be used to study the behavior of gases in various industrial processes, such as power generation, refrigeration, and chemical reactions. They are also used in the design of pressure vessels and other containers for storing gases or liquids. In addition, rigid tank problems are an important tool for understanding the behavior of fluids in hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

What are the limitations of rigid tank problems?

While rigid tank problems can provide valuable insights into the behavior of gases and liquids, they do have some limitations. For instance, they assume that the container is perfectly sealed and does not allow any matter to enter or leave, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, they do not take into account factors such as heat transfer, friction, and compressibility of the container walls, which may affect the accuracy of the results. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations when using rigid tank problems in practical applications.

Back