"Third-party" for email but who is which "person"?

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
My best guess is this question could be about something linguistic, but it's also technical about online accounts and email addresses.

One can choose to let's say, create a Microsoft account, use a "third-party" email address and therefore not create the MS account to have an outlook.com address. This way, person does not have an outlook.com email address. When person signs into MS account, he uses his third part email address and his M.S. password.

This "third party" email address would be often something from GMail or AOL or Yahoo or PROTON,... or something.

Why is this called "third-party"? Then, who or what or which are "second-party" and "first-party"?

Science news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
Then, who or what or which are "second-party" and "first-party"?
These are you and Microsoft (which way round they are is not relevant), the two parties to the contract for the services you are signing up for.

symbolipoint said:
Why is this called "third-party"?
Because Google/AOL/Yahoo/Proton are not you or Microsoft and are not a party to the contract.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Ibix
It's the same as first, second and third person pronouns. "I" is the first person pronoun, "you" is the second and "he"/"she" is the third. So I make an agreement with you that may involve you choosing to use services provided by him.

In fact, I think the "party" terminology does much the same job as pronouns, but primarily in standard contracts. You can have a pre-prepared form that has many clauses that say things like The first party agrees to pay the second party £______ per ______ in exchange for which the second party shall perform work as directed by the first party. Then you just stick In this contract, "the first party" refers to ______ and "the second party" refers to ______, and you can use the same form for every employee of Bloodsucking Capitalists R Us and its various subsidiary organisations without having to write the names into every clause.

• Haha
Likes PeroK, pinball1970 and DrClaude
Vanadium 50 said:

1.25 "I was blind for three days." What parties did they do in them days!?

EDIT: "Those days."

pinball1970 said:
1.25 "I was blind for three days." What parties did they do in them days!?

EDIT: "Those days."
Prohibition - wood alcohol? Although I thought that once that made you blind that was it for your sight.