Time for liquid ejecting from a hole in tank to reach ground

In summary, the equation given in the textbook to determine the height at which liquid will be thrown from a hole in a tank is valid when the body is free falling, but when considering a liquid ejecting from the hole with initial velocity, it matters.
ProgScience
Hi all,

I was trying to find the time required for liquid ejecting from a hole in a tank to reach ground level. The equation given in one of the books is as follows:

t = √(2h/g) or sqrt of (2h/g).

where h stands for the height of hole in tank shell from the ground level.

This equation is true when the body is free falling with zero initial velocity. However, my question is whether the equation is valid when we are considering a liquid ejecting from the hole (which will definitely have initial velocity due to head of remaining liquid in the tank)?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will a horizontal initial velocity matter?

Hi Doc Al,

Thanks for the reply. You have infact echoed my concern too. I think it matters. But when the textbook does not account for it, I am confused.

To give a clearer picture, the objective of the problem is to determine horizontal distance 'S' by which the liquid will be thrown from the hole.

In the textbook, once the time 't' is found out, they use this value of 't' in the following equation to determine 'S':

S=v*t where v is the velocity of the liquid at the hole (this velocity is determined using the energy conservation equation)

I was trying to analyse the same condition using another example. If in Case 1 a bullet is fired from a gun and in Case 2 a similar bullet is dropped from the same height of the gun, both at the same time, will both bullets reach ground at same time? I don't think so...but I can't prove it.

Best

ProgScience said:
I was trying to analyse the same condition using another example. If in Case 1 a bullet is fired from a gun and in Case 2 a similar bullet is dropped from the same height of the gun, both at the same time, will both bullets reach ground at same time? I don't think so...but I can't prove it.
Realize that you can treat vertical and horizontal motions completely independently. What's the equation for vertical position as a function of time for a projectile? Does the horizontal motion matter?

Hi Doc Al,

thanks for the thoughts. I visited the following website: http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys135d/modules/m3/Projectile%20motion.htm

It says that we can treat motion in two dimensions.

Vx=V0x and Vy=Vy0-gt

and

x = Vx0 t and y = Vy0t - 1/2 g t^2

therefore

t = sqrt(2y/g)

With this case, it can be concluded that both the bullets must reach ground at same time.

Am I correct?.

Thank you very much

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are correct. The time it takes for an object to reach the ground depends only on its initial vertical speed (and distance from the ground, of course). Horizontal speed doesn't matter. The two bullets will hit the ground at the same time. (Ignoring complications of air resistance, of course.)

Great. Thanks :)

Related to Time for liquid ejecting from a hole in tank to reach ground

1. How does the size of the hole affect the time for liquid to reach the ground?

The size of the hole has a direct impact on the time it takes for the liquid to reach the ground. A larger hole will allow for a greater volume of liquid to flow out at a faster rate, resulting in a shorter time for the liquid to reach the ground. On the other hand, a smaller hole will restrict the flow of liquid and take longer for it to reach the ground.

2. Does the viscosity of the liquid affect the time for it to reach the ground?

Yes, the viscosity of the liquid does play a role in the time it takes for it to reach the ground. Viscosity refers to the thickness or resistance to flow of a liquid. A more viscous liquid, such as honey, will take longer to flow out of the hole and reach the ground compared to a less viscous liquid, such as water.

3. How does the height of the tank impact the time for liquid to reach the ground?

The height of the tank also affects the time for the liquid to reach the ground. The higher the tank, the greater the potential energy of the liquid, resulting in a faster flow and shorter time for it to reach the ground. This is due to the force of gravity, which pulls the liquid down and increases its velocity.

4. Is the shape of the tank or hole significant in determining the time for liquid to reach the ground?

The shape of the tank or hole does not have a significant impact on the time it takes for liquid to reach the ground. As long as the tank or hole is open and allows for the liquid to flow freely, the time for it to reach the ground will be similar regardless of the shape.

5. Can external factors, such as wind or temperature, affect the time for liquid to reach the ground?

External factors like wind or temperature can have a slight impact on the time for liquid to reach the ground. Wind can alter the direction of the liquid's flow, while temperature can affect the viscosity of the liquid. However, these effects are typically minimal and have a negligible impact on the overall time for liquid to reach the ground.