Tips for new university students

In summary, this person has just finished high school and is going to university to study mathematics. They are excited and a bit nervous about it, but want to know what other students think about studying for university. They also mention things like getting enough sleep, exercising, and not being discouraged if you cannot solve problems. Finally, this person recommends focusing on the lecture and not trying to solve problems.
Matejxx1
Hi everyone,
I have finally finished high school and have been accepted into a mathematical university.
I'm really excited and also somewhat nervous about this whole thing since It is my dream to one day become a mathematician and I don't want to mess it up.
I'm now wondering if you guys have any tips regarding studying, time management, student/teacher relationship or basically university life in general
I realize that this are pretty personal things and differ from person to person, however I would still like to know so that I can be better prepared
Thanks a bunch in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Take notes, review / rewrite your notes after class and stay current with your homework, doing it before its due. This gives you the option to ask questions and fix mistakes before you hand it in. Rewriting your notes is a way to hammer in what you were taught and to find holes in them that you need to research and repair. Doing this on a day to day basis will insure good grades when tests come up.

Leave no stone unturned, ie when you find something you don't understand, talk with other students, talk with the professor and get a reasonable answer because you know it will have stumped others and will be on the upcoming test.

Profs often have weekly office hours write them down at the start of the semester so you can optimize visits and don't waste time going only to find they aren't there or are busy.

As you manage these things, then let your other interests fill in your free time.

Lastly, get a good rest each night, exercise some (eg brisk walks to class) and eat well.

Likes berkeman and CalcNerd
GET ENOUGH SLEEP.

Likes member 587159 and jedishrfu
Take the time to hand write your notes there's some research that suggests you will remember it better than if you typed it into a computer.

I always had two notebooks. One for lecture notes and notes from reading the textbook. The other for the homework.

Read the section, or two, before the next lecture. When I say read, read the actual text and work out problems. Do not loose heart if you cannot solve problems after much attempts. These are questions your brain should focus on during lecture.

Related to Tips for new university students

1. What are some tips for managing time in university?

Time management is crucial for success in university. Some tips include creating a schedule or to-do list, prioritizing tasks, avoiding procrastination, and taking breaks to avoid burnout.

2. How can I stay organized as a new university student?

Staying organized can be challenging in university, but it is essential for staying on top of coursework. Some tips include using a planner, keeping a clean study space, and utilizing online tools such as Google Drive or Trello to keep track of assignments and deadlines.

3. What are some ways to make connections and build a network in university?

University is a great place to make connections and build a network that can be beneficial for future career opportunities. Some tips for networking in university include joining clubs or organizations, attending career fairs, and building relationships with professors and classmates.

4. How can I balance academics and a social life in university?

Finding a balance between academics and a social life can be challenging in university. Some tips for achieving this balance include setting aside specific blocks of time for studying and socializing, prioritizing important tasks, and learning to say no to activities that may interfere with academic responsibilities.

5. What resources are available for academic support in university?

There are many resources available for academic support in university. These may include tutoring services, writing centers, study groups, and office hours with professors. It is important to take advantage of these resources to help improve academic performance and understanding of course material.