Torsional Oscillations Question

In summary, the problem involves a thin steel beam undergoing torsional oscillations while being suspended from a crane. Two steelworkers jump onto opposite ends of the beam, causing the frequency of the oscillations to diminish by 20%. The task is to determine the mass of the beam using the formula \omega =\sqrt{\frac{k}{I}} and taking into account the initial and final frequencies. The correct answer is 800 kg.
akan

Homework Statement

A thin steel beam 8.0 meters long is suspended from a crane and is undergoing torsional osciallations. Two 75-kg steelworkers leap onto opposite ends of the beam, as shown in the figure (no figure given, they just jump straight towards the center of the beam).

If the frequency of the oscillations diminishes by 20%, what is the mass of the beam?

Homework Equations

Iw_1 = Iw_2 + 2 (m R^2 w_2)
I = (1/12) ML^2
w = 2 (pi) (freq.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I (w_1) = I (w_2) + 2 (m R^2 w_2)
I (w_1) = (w_2) (I + 2 (m R^2))
I (w_1) = ((80%) w_1) (I + 2 (m R^2))
I = (80%) (I + 2 (m R^2))
I = 80% I + 80% 2 (m R^2)
(2/10) I = (8/10) 2 (m R^2)
I = 8 (m R^2)
I = 8 (75 R^2)
I = 600 R^2

But I = (1/12) ML^2, so:

600 R^2 = (1/12) ML^2
M = 7200 R^2 / L^2
M = 7200 (4^2) / (8^2)
M = 1800

Mastering physics does not accept this answer. What is wrong with my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi akan,

I think you are confusing the [itex]\omega[/itex] for angular velocity with the [itex]\omega[/itex] for angular frequency.

This is a torsional pendulum and your book probably has derived formulas for the period, frequency, and angular frequency for them.

w = 2 pi f
so if f diminishes by 20%
so does w
is that right?

akan said:
w = 2 pi f
so if f diminishes by 20%
so does w
is that right?

That's right; now what is the formula for w? For a simple pendulum it is:

[tex]
\omega =\sqrt{\frac{g}{\ell}}
[/tex]
for a spring it is

[tex]
\omega=\sqrt\frac{k}{m}}
[/tex]

What is it for this torsional pendulum? (Rather than w, you might find a formula for the regular frequency or the period instead.)

alphysicist said:
That's right; now what is the formula for w? For a simple pendulum it is:

[tex]
\omega =\sqrt{\frac{g}{\ell}}
[/tex]
for a spring it is

[tex]
\omega=\sqrt\frac{k}{m}}
[/tex]

What is it for this torsional pendulum? (Rather than w, you might find a formula for the regular frequency or the period instead.)

[tex]
\omega =\sqrt{\frac{k}{I}}
[/tex]

However, I do not know what k is, and I also don't know the initial [tex]\omega[/tex] to calculate it. So what do I do?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I see. Haha.

[tex]\omega 1 =\sqrt{\frac{k}{I}}[/tex]

[tex]\omega 2 = \frac{80}{100} \sqrt{\frac{k}{I}} = \sqrt{\frac{k}{I + 150 R^2}};
[/tex]

etc., gives M = 800 kg, which is correct.

Last edited:

FAQ: Torsional Oscillations Question

1. What are torsional oscillations?

Torsional oscillations, also known as torsional vibrations, are a type of mechanical oscillation in which a rotational force is applied to an object, causing it to oscillate back and forth around its axis of rotation.

2. How do torsional oscillations occur?

Torsional oscillations can occur when a torque or twisting force is applied to an object that is able to rotate around its axis. This force causes the object to twist and then return to its original position, resulting in a back-and-forth motion.

3. What are some examples of torsional oscillations?

Some examples of torsional oscillations include pendulum clocks, swing sets, and car suspensions. These systems use a rotational force to create oscillations that can be used for measuring time, providing entertainment, or improving vehicle stability.

4. How are torsional oscillations related to other types of oscillations?

Torsional oscillations are similar to other types of oscillations, such as simple harmonic motion, in that they involve a back-and-forth motion around a central point. However, torsional oscillations differ in that they involve a rotational motion around an axis, rather than a linear motion.

5. What are the applications of torsional oscillations?

Torsional oscillations have a variety of applications in different fields, including engineering, physics, and biology. They can be used for measuring time, providing entertainment, improving vehicle stability, and studying the behavior of biological systems such as the human vocal cords.

Back