Total eclipse of the moon tonight.

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Moon
In summary, tonight's total eclipse is expected to completely darken the entire full moon. The eclipse will be quite late in the UK, around 3:00 - 4:00 GMT, and may not be visible due to cloudy weather. It will also be just at sunset on the US west coast, where overcast skies may hinder viewing. It is important to never look directly at the moon without protection, as one couple learned 20 years ago while gazing at the full moon and are now married with two kids. The eclipse will last a little over 2 hours and is predicted to begin at 8:45 pm in the People's Republic of Northern South Jersey, but the forecast is for
Jimmy Snyder
If the last one was any indication, tonight's total eclipse will completely darken the entire full moon. Just remember, never look directly at the moon without protection. My girl and I were gazing at the full moon one night twenty years ago and now we're married with two kids.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The eclipse is quite late if you're in the UK, from about 3:00 - 4:00 GMT. Don't know if I'll get a picture tonight like last years.

It will be just at sunset here on the US west coast, unfortunately it looks like it will be overcast.

jimmysnyder said:
Just remember, never look directly at the moon without protection. My girl and I were gazing at the full moon one night twenty years ago and now we're married with two kids.
Grrrr. <D H wipes coffee from screen> That post should have come with some kind of spray warning.

Integral said:
It will be just at sunset here on the US west coast, unfortunately it looks like it will be overcast.
The whole show lasts a little over 2 hours. Here in the People's Republic of Northern South Jersey, it will begin at 8:45 pm. The forecast is for bright sunny skies tonight with a 90% chance of snow. Forget the moon, we won't even be able to see the Earth.

jimmysnyder said:
TForget the moon, we won't even be able to see the Earth.

:smile:

I don't think I have much chance of seeing it. It's going to be too close to sunset, and supposedly while the moon is still low in the sky, which means it'll likely still be hidden behind the trees if I try to view it from home (and given that the forecast here is similar to that in the People's Republic of Northern South New Jersey :smile:, I'm not planning to be anywhere BUT at home to watch). But, maybe I'll get lucky and it'll happen while in a gap between trees, or just over the tree line.

Moonbear said:
South New Jersey.
That's South Jersey. South New Jersey is a fictitious land created by Joyce Kilmer in his famous poem: 'I never met a tree I didn't like'.

We've got sporadic cloud cover, with more of the same expected tonight. May get a glimpse of it through some sucker-holes,though, if I can stand the cold long enough. We've had 20-30 mph winds all day with much higher gusts and it shows no sign of letting up. Combine that with our normal single-digit night temps and BRRRR!

Maine is so far east that we really should be in the Maritime time zone, so the sky should be very dark with the Moon at a good elevation. Hmm...the Independent Republic of South Canada...that has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:
We're in NM, and I can see why it was chosen early on for atom bomb tests...

Anyway, we gots a mass of cold wet air due to get here just before sunset. When the eclipse gets going. Integral gave us that nice cloudy mass, it's all his fault.

jimmysnyder said:
That's South Jersey. South New Jersey is a fictitious land created by Joyce Kilmer in his famous poem: 'I never met a tree I didn't like'.

How about New South Jersey? Perhaps that's what we should rename Delaware. :biggrin:

jimmysnyder said:
The whole show lasts a little over 2 hours. Here in the People's Republic of Northern South Jersey, it will begin at 8:45 pm. The forecast is for bright sunny skies tonight with a 90% chance of snow. Forget the moon, we won't even be able to see the Earth.

Bright sunny skies tonight?

tribdog said:

The residents of The People's Republic of Northern South Jersey don't really have the best education system (that, or they have something far more interesting than an eclipse happening there). :smile:

Good catch!

So, will you be spending the night howling at the moon?

tribdog said:
It's an eclipse, silly. The light from the sun will be bent clear round Cape May, up the Parkway and along the White Horse Pike.

Moonbear said:
The residents of The People's Republic of Northern South Jersey don't really have the best education system.
We had the no child left behind program long before you guys. I'll have my grandpa to explain it to you as soon as he gets back from school tonight.

Moonbear said:
So, will you be spending the night howling at the moon?

Nah, neighbor keeps throwing shoes at me when I try.

Jim, your in NM, what part? Yeah really sucks that we got this crappy weather tonight as its right after dark here. Damn you weather!

BTW, shouldn't this be in Astronomy?

Last edited:
Clear shot of the moon, up my neighbors driveway and inbetween her trees!

Kurdt said:
The eclipse is quite late if you're in the UK, from about 3:00 - 4:00 GMT. Don't know if I'll get a picture tonight like last years.

I might try to stay awake, but I doubt I'll manage it! Plus I'm not exactly in the right place to be viewing: I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but in London it's pretty cloudy.

The eclipse is going to start here in about 1 hour and a perfectly clear shot from my window.

cristo said:
I might try to stay awake, but I doubt I'll manage it! Plus I'm not exactly in the right place to be viewing: I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but in London it's pretty cloudy.

Well I don't have any commitments at the moment so I could stay up. Unfortunately the weather in Newcastle is cloudy too. Also I live on a hill and I just realized that the moon is behind the hill during the eclipse. Never mind :rolleyes:

Evo said:
The eclipse is going to start here in about 1 hour and a perfectly clear shot from my window.

Take some piccies Evo :smile: *bats eyelids*

Evo said:
I need something better than a camera phone. My older daughter has a 12 megapixel camera. I called her to ask if she'll be taking pictures.

This won't cut it.

moonan7.jpg

Come on over Kurdt, the actual view will be spectacular.

Ooh, the moon is high enough for me to see, and it's just starting (a little sliver of moon is darkening). Cloud cover is iffy though...about 10 min ago, the moon was completely hidden by clouds.

Evo said:
Come on over Kurdt, the actual view will be spectacular.

I'd love to if I could move like superman.

A chunk of the moon is missing. When it gets larger I will take another picture with my 2 megapixel cell phone. Where is spawn and her ultracam?

I have an excellent view out my bay window with my astro binos.

That's Saturn to the left of and below the Moon.

Here's the first photo I took (I took another a few moments ago, but my hand was apparently too shaky and it didn't come out well).

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7273/22008eclipse1hl4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here was my effort from last year for comparison.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2113/lunareclipse030307hb7.jpg

Kurdt said:
Here was my effort from last year for comparison.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/2113/lunareclipse030307hb7.jpg
Ooooh, Yeah last year was so clear, but I didn't have the camera you have, great shot Kurdt!
Last year, the moon was huge. This year it's smaller.

Moonbear's image is what it looks like this year.

I'm watching now... only a fingernail left...

Looks kinda red.

I suppose I could crop the images more to make the moon look bigger (I'm already doing a lot of cropping just to make them visible within reasonable sizes for posting here).

Down to a sliver now.
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1994/22008eclipse2ni7.jpg

Evo said:
Ooooh, Yeah last year was so clear, but I didn't have the camera you have, great shot Kurdt!
Last year, the moon was huge. This year it's smaller.

I had a 6.5 mega pixel camera and just used a 300mm lens last year if I remember correctly.

Moonbear said:
I suppose I could crop the images more to make the moon look bigger (I'm already doing a lot of cropping just to make them visible within reasonable sizes for posting here).

Down to a sliver now.
http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/1994/22008eclipse2ni7.jpg
Great[/URL] shots MB!