Troubleshooting Galvanometer Problems and Calculating Resistance | Expert Tips

In summary, The conversation discusses two problems. The first problem involves converting a pivoted-coil galvanometer to an ammeter and finding the correct resistance to connect in series with the coil. The second problem involves finding the resistance needed to balance the right hand side of an expression for a 150 V voltmeter with a resistance of 15000 Ohms. The solution is to replace RC with Re = RC + Rs, where Rs is the additional series resistance needed. For the second problem, the solution is to use Ohms law to calculate the external resistance based on the voltage and current values obtained from the internal resistance of the meter.
eku_girl83
I figured out the capacitor/charging problem that I last posted. Here's my latest cause of worry:
1)The Resistance of the coil of a pivoted-coil galvanometer is 7.92 Ohms and a current of .0194 A causes it to deflect full scale. We want to convert this gavanometer to an ammeter reading 10 A full scale. The only shung available has a resistance of .0436 Ohms. What resistance R must be connected in series with the coil?

I used the equation (Ifs)(Rc)=(Ia-Ifs)Rsh, where Ifs = .0194, Rc=7.92 Ohms, Ia=10 A. I then solved for Rsh and subtracted .0436 (the shunt available) from it. Why do I not get the correct answer?

2) A 150 V voltmeter has a resistance of 15000 Ohms. When connected in series with a large resistance R across a 105 V line, the meter reads 57 V. Find the resistance R.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The addition resistance that you are looking for is in series with the COIL not the shunt. So replace RC in your expression with a resistance equivalent to the one you need to balance the Right hand side. so instead of RC use:
Re=RC+Rs

Where Rs is the additional series resistance.

2:

You know that the meter reads 57V with a source of 105V, this means that 105V-57V is dropped across the internal resistance of the meter. You know the internal resistance so can compute the current. you now now voltage and current (series circuit so the current is equal) in the external resistance. Apply Ohms law again to get the external resistance.

FAQ: Troubleshooting Galvanometer Problems and Calculating Resistance | Expert Tips

1. What is a galvanometer and how does it work?

A galvanometer is an instrument used to detect and measure small electric currents. It works by using a coil of wire suspended in a magnetic field. When an electric current passes through the coil, it experiences a force that causes it to move, which is then measured by a pointer on a scale.

2. What are some common problems that can occur with galvanometers?

Some common problems with galvanometers include inaccurate readings, drift in the measurements, and malfunctioning due to wear and tear. Additionally, external factors such as electromagnetic interference and temperature changes can also affect the accuracy of a galvanometer.

3. How can I troubleshoot and fix galvanometer problems?

If you are experiencing issues with your galvanometer, first check for any loose connections or damaged wires. If everything appears to be in working order, try calibrating the instrument according to the manufacturer's instructions. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the galvanometer or seek professional assistance.

4. Can galvanometers be used for measuring AC currents?

Yes, galvanometers can be used to measure AC currents. However, since they are designed to measure small currents, they may not be suitable for high-voltage or high-frequency AC currents. In these cases, a specialized AC ammeter should be used instead.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when using a galvanometer?

Yes, it is important to handle galvanometers with caution as they can be sensitive to external factors and may have high voltage components. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when using a galvanometer and to follow all safety instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Back