Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
The flesh is actually quite tasty, and the burn is not overwhelming and builds up slowly. The burn from eating the placenta is more immediate and stronger, without the nice taste of the flesh.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
I keep looking at the seeds you sent me rhody and have to slap myself so I won't eat one. My curiosity is getting the best of me. :redface:

Try one Don, if you want the hottest one, sniff it first, if it smells oddly fragrant, that is the hottest one.
It is no big deal trust me, if you chewed a dozen or so, that is another matter.
Especially if they are fresh seeds with the oil on them like I harvested today.
I can't say for sure but I believe they are hotter than last year because of all the wilt revive water cycles I put the plants through.

Check out my https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3536031&postcount=69" here.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
It is getting cooler at night low 50's and my plants don't like it. The leaves on one are turning a pale yellow in spots. I have them indoors now under a grow lamp, and will get what I can from the rest of the ones that are still growing to maturity. Then, will trim them way back and repot for the winter. A whole lot of effort for short flowering and pepper bonanza at the end of the summer.

My heat mat seeds that I started are a disappointment so far, just one small chocolate ghost seedling has come up, and it has been more than ten days. Hard to believe all my seeds are not good.

Rhody...

rhody said:
It is getting cooler at night low 50's and my plants don't like it. The leaves on one are turning a pale yellow in spots. I have them indoors now under a grow lamp, and will get what I can from the rest of the ones that are still growing to maturity. Then, will trim them way back and repot for the winter. A whole lot of effort for short flowering and pepper bonanza at the end of the summer.

My heat mat seeds that I started are a disappointment so far, just one small chocolate ghost seedling has come up, and it has been more than ten days. Hard to believe all my seeds are not good.

Rhody...
You are the Ghost Pepper Guru. I love your efforts and postings here.

I'm going to wait until February to start the seeds you sent me using your growing methods. And since I know Evo has a green thumb, I'll pay attention to her successes also. :wink:

We are forecast for a frost tonight, but since all my chilies are green (with the exception of some yellow Hungarians and a few orange habs), I'm going to risk it in hopes that I can get some more mature peppers. We're in for a bit of a warm-up starting tomorrow and well into the weekend, so I may be able nurse a few into maturity.

I have a problem with my peppers. Actually I have more the one problem, but there is one I want to ask about right now.

I have several varieties. Nothing very hot, when I bought seeds I was told they are rated as up to 30k Scoville. I don't need anything hotter, but to my surprise they are missing flavor. Just a few drops of tabasco add a very characteristic scent and taste to every dish, my peppers do add heat, but nothing more.

What varieties should I look for?

Borek said:
I have a problem with my peppers. Actually I have more the one problem, but there is one I want to ask about right now.

I have several varieties. Nothing very hot, when I bought seeds I was told they are rated as up to 30k Scoville. I don't need anything hotter, but to my surprise they are missing flavor. Just a few drops of tabasco add a very characteristic scent and taste to every dish, my peppers do add heat, but nothing more.

What varieties should I look for?
I like the flavor of Hungarian Wax chilies (paprika), jalapenos, and habaneros. Some peppers, including cayennes IMO, tend to add more heat than flavor. Rhody's ghosts have a nice sweet flavor along with the heat. The flesh is tasty. Most of the heat (just an opinion) appears to reside in the placentas and internal ribs. I'm saving Rhody's peppers for an opportunity to cook some hot stuff. Maybe I can whip another batch of spicy grilled jumbo shrimp this weekend...we'll see what chores the weather loads on me this weekend.

turbo said:
We are forecast for a frost tonight, but since all my chilies are green (with the exception of some yellow Hungarians and a few orange habs), I'm going to risk it in hopes that I can get some more mature peppers. We're in for a bit of a warm-up starting tomorrow and well into the weekend, so I may be able nurse a few into maturity.
Hopefully if it's a light frost, they are low enough to the ground that warmth from the soil should save them.

Evo said:
Hopefully if it's a light frost, they are low enough to the ground that warmth from the soil should save them.
I think so, plus my most treasured chilies (Habanero) are sheltered under layers and layers of leafy growth. It's a calculated risk.

dlgoff said:
You are the Ghost Pepper Guru. I love your efforts and postings here.

I'm going to wait until February to start the seeds you sent me using your growing methods. And since I know Evo has a green thumb, I'll pay attention to her successes also. :wink:
No, Don, just a struggling amateur, like the guy who has an 8 foot monster ghost pepper bush, I would say he is the Ghost God we discussed in Ms Music's post awhile ago. Seriously, I would start them now, because with a decent heat mat and Evo's shaking method indoors they will keep blossoming and producing peppers. I will put a few in the mail to you so you don't have to wait that long. I will send green ones so they will have a three or four week shelf life. Hope Roger is doing well in the cool weather.

Rhody... :wink:

We have a frost warning, but that's probably higher elevations - I hope. I harvested a few ripened peppers, but most are still green. My bigger habanero pepper plant has lots more flowers on it - stupid plant. We had rain yesterday, cool weather, overnight low in the 40s F. Tonight, the low is predicted to be about 39 F. We had a nice sunny day today - and partly cloudy.

I think I'll pot the bigger hab and bring it inside.

This I have to try! :approve:

Currying Danger: Restaurant's Spice Contest Puts Two In Hospital
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...staurantss-spice-contest-puts-two-in-hospital

I'm planning a trip to Edinburgh and Kismot!

Astronuc said:
We have a frost warning, but that's probably higher elevations - I hope. I harvested a few ripened peppers, but most are still green. My bigger habanero pepper plant has lots more flowers on it - stupid plant. We had rain yesterday, cool weather, overnight low in the 40s F. Tonight, the low is predicted to be about 39 F. We had a nice sunny day today - and partly cloudy.

This I have to try!
Generally, hard frosts in this area are confined to low-lying areas. Those of us on hills, (especially steep hills with escape-routes for cold air) can tweak an extra week or two of growth before killing frosts come. In Maine, successful early farms were almost always on south-facing slopes on steep hills.

Astronuc said:
This I have to try! :approve:
That's the spirit Astro, transplanting, a grow light, heat mat, and decent temps in the inside and lots of attention and you should be good to go, along with some carefully timed shaking, courtesy of Evo. My plants are under grow lights now indoors, still peppers ripening and more flower buds too.

Rhody... :approve:

Evo said:
That's just crazy, one of these days someone is going to choke on the stuff and die.

Turbo, you should watch "heat seekers".

http://www.foodnetwork.com/heat-seekers/index.html
If the heat seekers don't have easily-found links, I'm not going to bother - sorry. Maybe I'm a fool, but but any series that has an axe to grind ought to be able to advertise themselves in a way that is accessible to consumers.

turbo said:
If the heat seekers don't have easily-found links, I'm not going to bother - sorry. Maybe I'm a fool, but but any series that has an axe to grind ought to be able to advertise themselves in a way that is accessible to consumers.
What was difficult about the link? What axe to grind? They are sampling places that advertise having the hottest food.

And if you want more links

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=food+network+heat+seekers

I found the guy who owns ghostpeppers.com, Paul a bit odd and eccentric, watch a few videos http://www.ghostpeppers.com/videos.php" , then decide for yourselves.

To make a long story short I bought his "Grow Guide" for ten bucks, and... well it really wasn't a guide at all.

He must have felt a bit guilty and agreed to answer some questions about growing via e-mails.

This is the result of one exchange:

Always use a fan on them indoors, must be for pollination and keeping aphids off (just a guess on my part).

Put Earth worms in every pot (I assume to keep soil loose, and even to eat aphids)

To get plants to reach and stretch, use a blue spectrum grow light 4 or 5 feet above the plants.

If you go to the video links and watch his hydro watering video you will see his largest Ghost bush as he waters his plants.

I like how he waters his stereo speakers too (00:45), yikes !

To keep aphids down, keep Venus fly traps below your larger plants, they eat aphids like crazy, and any other pests that happen by, now that was clever.

He also recommends lady bugs, but I don't want those flying around, so nix to that idea.

He has more to say about aphids here: Note, I have not corrected his spelling errors due to the image being graphic versus text.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9838/aphids.jpg

Can anyone think of other things I can ask, I know fertilizer is one thing, what to use, when to apply, can you think of anything else ? I wonder what he uses to keep his deck area warm in the winter for one thing.

Rhody... :confused:

A News Article: from http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-india-chili-20111013,0,7468866.story" :
Excepts:
A few days later at the Imphal airport, a few souvenir umorok are confiscated as a potential hijacking weapon. "No Manipur chile allowed," a policeman says gruffly.
They are referring to ghost peppers.
The plump red and green chiles with wrinkly skin, which have grown naturally in northeast India for hundreds of years, are believed to be the result of a relatively rare natural mutation that strengthened their bite.
and
In March, a new chile was rated by Guinness as the world's hottest, the Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T" out of Australia, at 1.4 million SHUs. That's about 40% hotter than ghost chiles. Though not yet produced commercially, it's already sparking trouble in chile-land, with suggestions of trickery and sleight of hand.

Selecting the hottest chiles on a plant, cross-breeding, or de-veining samples all can boost readings. Purists grumble about "Frankenstein" samples, and some chile lovers even envision the danger of a "chile nuclear arms race."

Great, one more thing to worry about, some idiot with ghost chile pepper on a plane and people trying to out do one another to gain market share and the profits that go with it.

Rhody... sigh...

Pepper wars! At some point, additional heat is unnecessary and may be counter-productive.

Once you get to the point at which people won't touch the food you've prepared, you have lost. I used the 3 ripest ghost chilies to make the marinade for grilled shrimp. My wife took a bite and commented on how hot the shrimp were, so I figured I'd be eating them alone. Then my father ate one and commented on the heat. Surprisingly, they both got acclimated to the heat, and we all ate shrimp until they were gone. That was a close one. I would hate to make everybody's favorite grilled seafood, only to make it too hot for comfort.

Last edited:
Glutton for punishment that I am, I spent over an hour today trying to find an on-line episode of heat-seekers. No dice. They have all kinds of full episodes for RR, Giada, Paula, Guy, etc, but none for the heat-seekers. Click on their episode list, and you get Rick-Rolled with Netflix pop-up ads. Ack!

BTW, I'm making a tiny batch of habanero relish today. It won't be as good as I'm used to from past batches because the chilies are lacking in heat, but it's better than nothing. I put in plenty of German garlic, so even if it's not hot, it will be tasty.

Thanks for the link to Heat Seekers, Evo. I would probably watch some episodes if the Food Network would only put them on-line, especially if the guys got accurate prep/cooking tips like on the Guy Fieri show. It was a little frustrating to get to that part in the kitchen only to find out that the cook doesn't disclose "secret ingredients". My habanero relish is almost 100% habanero chilies, and I use it quite liberally on cheeseburgers and hot dogs. No secrets there.

I made tartar sauce for tonight's crab cakes using about 1/3 of the new habanero relish to 2/3 Cain's mayonnaise. My wife liked the sauce so well, she used it to dip her roasted seasoned potatoes into. The hab relish is not as snarly as usual, but it has a nice flavor.

A place where you can link up to Heat Seekers full episodes instead of You Tube highlights. Unfortunately, the site is in Europe, and I can't stream over this crappy DSL connection. The episodes are available from a few mirrors, so I'll have to check around to see if there are any that are faster than others, or set up some downloads to watch later.

http://www.vidics.eu/watch/53626/Heat-Seekers-2011.html

Some of the mirrors on the source in the previous post will Rick-Roll you with pop-ups and/or require you to get plug-ins. None of the mirrors are fast enough to stream the shows, and I am loathe to set up unattended downloads from sites that I don't trust. Just a heads-up to the curious.

Last edited:
Okay turbo, rhody. If you all are still awake, you might want to watch this History Channels episode of "Hairy Bikers: On Fire" coming up next.

http://www.history.com/videos/hairy-bikers-on-fire#hairy-bikers-on-fire"

Edit: The boys have already tried the ghost peppers and think they are too hot.

dlgoff said:
Okay turbo, rhody. If you all are still awake, you might want to watch this History Channels episode of "Hairy Bikers: On Fire" coming up next.

http://www.history.com/videos/hairy-bikers-on-fire#hairy-bikers-on-fire"

Edit: The boys have already tried the ghost peppers and think they are too hot.
I just watched it, the Trinidad Scorpion at 1.4 million scoville, to make the sauce they used goggles, gloves and yes, respirators... watch around 15:00 and the burger contest, watch John... at the end. He has the look of a madman in his eyes until the Trinidad sauce bites back. Wow.

Rhody...

God forgive me, I just ordered some Trinidad Scorpion seeds. I think I need my head examined. They should be here in a few days. They weren't available last season because there wasn't any seed stock in the US. If I remember correctly these suckers originated from the UK. They have a different look to them. They look more like a cactus.

Sigh, looks like I will have to invest in a respirator too. I must be crazy. I thought about the skinny biker guy in the video last night. I would hate to be him while those things worked there way through his GI track and out to the world again, if you know what I mean. I hope he didn't end up in hospital because he ate a tremendous amount of the stuff.

Rhody... :devil: :redface: :bugeye:

Trinidad Scorpions? Where will it end?

turbo said:
Trinidad Scorpions? Where will it end?
With new pepper discoveries and tinkering with genetic mutations, survival of the fittest, it never ends, Turbo. If I can ever get comfort eating ghosts, there will be the Scorpion challenge to deal with. :-p

Rhody...

rhody said:
God forgive me, I just ordered some Trinidad Scorpion seeds. I think I need my head examined. They should be here in a few days. They weren't available last season because there wasn't any seed stock in the US. If I remember correctly these suckers originated from the UK. They have a different look to them. They look more like a cactus.

Sigh, looks like I will have to invest in a respirator too. I must be crazy. I thought about the skinny biker guy in the video last night. I would hate to be him while those things worked there way through his GI track and out to the world again, if you know what I mean. I hope he didn't end up in hospital because he ate a tremendous amount of the stuff.

Rhody... :devil: :redface: :bugeye:

Nooooo! I'm starting to learn. RESPECT THE GHOST. I decided to cut up one in my tomato soup since the first one I eat raw was outstanding and the heat was okay. Now I'm dying on the fist bite of the soup. And I didn't wash my hands before having to go to the bathroom. :bugeye:

Help me rhody. :blushing:

Last edited:
dlgoff said:
Nooooo! I'm starting to learn. RESPECT THE GHOST. I decided to cut up one in my tomato soup since the first one I eat raw was outstanding and the heat was okay. Now I'm dying on the fist bite of the soup. And I didn't wash my hands before having to go to the bathroom. :bugeye:

Help me rhody. :blushing:
They demand respect, they don't ask for it. One more thing if you cut one open and there is an excess of oil, beware, low hanging fruit, heat stressed, extra hot for your pleasure or peril depending on your point of view. Get a box of 100 disposable gloves.

Rhody...

I'm planning on mixing a TINY bit into some cream cheese (waiting to get some). I'm afraid, very afraid, but I have to do it.

These peppers are beautiful Rhody. I wonder how they would be dried and ground?

Here is the chief propagator of the Trinidad Scorpion, http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/Trinidad-Scorpion-Butch-T-The-Worlds-Hottest-Chile-Pepper-Coverage" :
Most of you chile pepper fanatics know that the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T strain was ranked as the World's http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20110412/od_yblog_upshot/new-chili-pepper-crowned-worlds-hottest" and are now the Capsaicin Kings topping out at an amazing 1,463,700 Scoville Units - although other Scorpion pods have clocked in at a few hundred thousand SHU less, which is still higher than the averages for the bhut jolokias or "ghost chiles".
This explains how these incredible seeds made there way here to the US. Here is an interesting http://thehotsauceaddiction.com/chillies/" giving background on four more hot ones. There is a new Sheriff in town, one who demands your utmost respect.

That thing looks evil. It reminds me of a blob of molten lava...

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6411/trinidadscorpion.jpg

Rhody... :rolleyes: