Two Dimensional Ricci curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a simple formula for Ricci curvature in any dimension, as shown in a paper and referenced in a Wikipedia article. The formula is a contraction of the Riemann tensor, which can be defined in any space with an affine connection. The conversation also includes a sample calculation using a specific metric and discusses the uniqueness of Ricci curvature up to a minus sign.
craigthone
I want to know if there is some simple metric form for Ricci curvature in dimensions generally.
In this paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1402.6334 ,
formula (5.21), the authers seem had a simple formula for Ricci curvature like this
##R= -\frac{1}{\sqrt{-g}} \partial^\mu \big[\sqrt{-g}(g_{\mu\rho} \partial_\sigma-g_{\rho\sigma}\partial_\mu )g^{\sigma\rho} \big]##
I konw the formula from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_formulas_in_Riemannian_geometry#Riemann_curvature_tensor
I wonder how to derive this and if it is a general formula in any dimensions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The same WP article you cite gives you the answer, a few paragraphs later: Ricci is defined as a contraction of Riemann, so the derivation is a one-liner. And Ricci is essentially unique, up to a minus sign: There's just one way to do it.

So if you can define Riemann in any space (which you can, in any space with an affine connection, including any differentiable manifold of any dimensionality), then Ricci is defined in that space: See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_curvature_tensor

2D curvature?

In another way, you can define the Ricci Curvature Tensor with differential forms as ##\Omega^k_i(\hat{e}_k)## where ##\Omega## is the curvature two form. But that's the thing... you won't get any components in 2D. I'll give an example on how to use this in 2D with the polar line element ##ds^2=dr^2+r^2d\theta^2 ##

I wrote these notes for myself a few months back, so maybe they might help you.Let's recall our curvature equation, and the Levi-Cievta connection.

## \Omega^i_j = d\omega_{ij} + \omega^i_k \wedge \omega^k_j ##

##\omega_{ij} = -\omega_{ji} ##

## d\sigma^i+\omega^i_j \wedge \sigma^j = 0 ##So before we can calculate the curvature, we need to know what our connections are! So, let's get going. We will use the 3rd equation from above (recall it's called the Torsion free condition). Using our line element, we know that our basis is ##\omega = \left\{dr, rd\theta \right\}##If i = 1, we see that it become ##0 = d\sigma^1+\omega^1_1 \wedge \sigma^1 + \omega^1_2 \wedge \sigma^2 = d(dr)++\omega^1_1 \wedge dr + \omega^1_2 \wedge rd\theta = 0 + 0 + \omega^1_2 \wedge rd\theta = 0 ##

Recall that ##d^2ANYTHING = 0## that's why ##d(dr) = 0## and that ##\omega^1_1 = 0## due to metric compatibility. So, we're left with ##\omega^1_2 \wedge rd\theta = 0## and this implies that ##\omega^1_2 = A d\theta## where A is a constant. Why? Remember that ##d\sigma^i \wedge d\sigma^j = 0 ## if ##i = j ##Now let i = 2, the torsion free condition becomes ## d\sigma^2+\omega^2_1 \wedge \sigma^1 + \omega^2_2 \wedge \sigma^2 = d(rd\theta)+\omega^2_1 \wedge dr + \omega^2_2 \wedge rd\theta = dr \wedge d\theta + rd^2\theta + \omega^2_1 \wedge dr + 0 = ## ##dr \wedge d\theta + \omega^2_1 \wedge dr = 0 ##Now, we use what we learned from the first basis being used, that is ##\omega^1_2 = A d\theta## and use metric compatibility to say that ##\omega^1_2 = -\omega^2_1 = -Ad\theta## so let's substitute this in, to see that

##dr \wedge d\theta + \omega^2_1 \wedge dr = dr \wedge d\theta -Ad\theta \wedge dr = 0 ##We will have to flip the order of our wedge product, and recall in order to do this, we have to multiply by -1. Thus, our equation becomes ##dr \wedge d\theta +Adr \wedge d\theta = 0## and the only way this equation becomes 0 is if ##A = -1##. Thus, ## \omega^1_2 =-d\theta ## and ##\omega^2_1 = d\theta ##

So, now we can find curvature! Using ##\Omega^i_j = d\omega_{ij} + \omega^i_k \wedge \omega^k_j ##Now, this is where it differs from the Euclidean Flat space, because now we need to pick i AND j, because our connections are not zero. But, as we predicted, the curvature should just be zero in any direction.

Let i = j = 1, we will see the curvature equation look like ##\Omega^1_1 = d\omega_{11} + \omega^1_1 \wedge \omega^1_1 + \omega^1_2 \wedge \omega^2_1 = d(0)+0 \wedge 0 + -d\theta \wedge d\theta = 0 ## The same thing happens with i = j = 2.

Let i = 1, and j = 2. We will see the curvature equation look like ## \Omega^1_2 = d\omega_{12} + \omega^1_1 \wedge \omega^1_2 + \omega^1_2 \wedge \omega^2_2 = d(d\theta) + 0 + 0 = 0 + 0 + 0 ## Why is ##\omega^1_1 \wedge \omega^1_2 = 0##? Because the wedge product can be thought of as multiplication, so anything times 0 is 0. So, the curvature in this case is ALSO zero! The same thing will occur with i = 2, and j = 1. Which you should try on your own.Thus, the curvature is zero!

Hopefully this helps you compute the Ricci Curvature Tensor if given the line element. I'm not sure about 2D curvature, so test it out and post your results!

Likes kent davidge
JMz said:
The same WP article you cite gives you the answer, a few paragraphs later: Ricci is defined as a contraction of Riemann, so the derivation is a one-liner. And Ricci is essentially unique, up to a minus sign: There's just one way to do it.

So if you can define Riemann in any space (which you can, in any space with an affine connection, including any differentiable manifold of any dimensionality), then Ricci is defined in that space: See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_curvature_tensor

You mean we do have such a simple formula? For the simple metric ##-e^{2\omega} dx^+dx^-##, the formula seems not to work.

Last edited:
craigthone said:
You mean we do have such a simple formula? For the simple metric ##-e^{2\omega} dx^+dx^-##, the formula seems not to work.
Can you define the Riemann tensor? If so, then, yes, we have such a simple formula. Of course, for any particular space, it may happen that Ricci = 0, or even that the whole Riemann = 0.

For the spacetime discussed in AP's paper:
$$ds^2=-\exp(2\omega)dx^+dx^-=\exp(2\omega)(-dt^2+dx^2)$$
Suppose ##\omega=\omega(z)##, and Riemann tensor is defined as
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_formulas_in_Riemannian_geometry#Riemann_curvature_tensor
Then we can calculate Riemann tensor and Ricci scalar using the above defination
$$R_{+-+-}=-\exp(2\omega)\partial_+\partial_-\omega $$
$$R=8\exp(-2\omega)\partial_+\partial_-\omega=-2\exp(-2\omega)\partial^2_z \omega$$
If we use the above simple formula,
$$R=8\exp(-2\omega)\partial_+\partial_-\omega-16\exp(-2\omega)\partial_+\omega\partial_-\omega$$

@romsofia very good and clear explanation, thanks for sharing with us
romsofia said:
I wrote these notes for myself
I have this habit, too

Related to Two Dimensional Ricci curvature

What is "Two Dimensional Ricci curvature"?

Two Dimensional Ricci curvature is a mathematical concept used in the field of differential geometry to measure the curvature of a two-dimensional surface. It is named after Gregorio Ricci-Curbastro, an Italian mathematician who first introduced the concept in the late 19th century.

How is Two Dimensional Ricci curvature calculated?

The calculation of Two Dimensional Ricci curvature involves finding the trace of the Ricci tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a manifold. This calculation is often done using a mathematical tool called the Riemann curvature tensor.

What is the significance of Two Dimensional Ricci curvature?

Two Dimensional Ricci curvature is an important concept in differential geometry because it provides a way to measure the curvature of a two-dimensional surface. This information can be used to understand the geometric properties of the surface, such as its shape and topology.

How is Two Dimensional Ricci curvature related to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the curvature of spacetime is described by the Ricci tensor. In the special case of a two-dimensional surface, this curvature is equivalent to the Two Dimensional Ricci curvature. Therefore, Two Dimensional Ricci curvature plays a role in understanding the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of gravitational fields.

What are some applications of Two Dimensional Ricci curvature?

Two Dimensional Ricci curvature has applications in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. It is used in the study of differential equations, Riemannian geometry, and optimization problems. It also has applications in computer graphics and image processing, where it is used to analyze and manipulate two-dimensional shapes and surfaces.