Two questions that I don't really don't understand

• Thread starter hey123a
  • Start date
In summary: Fsmax is the force that the block can overcome before it starts to slide. So in summary, if the 4kg block is to begin sliding, the coefficient of static friction between the 4kg block and the surface must be greater than 0.5, but less than 1.
hey123a

Homework Statement

Two 5-N boxes are attached to opposite ends of a spring scale and suspended from pulleys as shown. In my drawing, the xxxxx represents the scale in the midde.

...|o\-------xxxxxx-------/o|
...|...\...../...|
...|...\______________/ ...|
...|...|_____________|...|
[5N]......[5N]

What is the reading on the scale?
a) 0N
b) 2.5N
c) 5N
d) 10N
e) 25N

Relevant equations
F = Ma

The attempt at a solution
Well since there is 5N on both sides I would expect that the reading on the scale is zero because i would assume that it stays at equilibrium. Apparently I'm wrong on that so any hints would be nice

2. Homework Statement
A 4kg block is connected by means of a massless rope to a 2-kg block as shown in the figure. Complete the following statement: If the 4kg block is to begin sliding, the coefficient of static friction between the 4kg block and the surface must be

....[...].-------oo
________[4kg]_____/...|
|......|...|
|________________|..[2kg]

a) less than zero
b) greater than 2
c) greater than 1, but less than 2
d) greater than 0.5, but less than 1
c) less than 0.5, but greater than zero

Relevant equations
F = Ma
Fs = uN

The attempt at a solution
Since both blocks are connected I would assume that they accelerate together at the same rate
So f = (4kg + 2kg)a
F = 6a

if the 4kg block begins sliding then the system is achieving an acceleration that would overcome the force of static friction, but Fsmax would equal uN
Fs = uN
Fs = u(mg)
Fs = u(6x9.8)
Fsmax = u58.8

and now here I'm stuck and i don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
Well since there is 5N on both sides I would expect that the reading on the scale is zero because i would assume that it stays at equilibrium. Apparently I'm wrong on that so any hints would be nice

The strings are connected to each end of the spring in the scale. The spring isn't accelerating so the forces acting on it must sum to zero (f=m*a but a=0) BUT that doesn't mean they can't stretch the spring.

For question 2...

Forget what happens after it starts moving. The question asks about the coefficient of static friction.

For the 4kg block to move the force produced by the 2kg block must overcome Fsmax the max force due to friction.

FAQ: Two questions that I don't really don't understand

1. What is the difference between a question and a statement?

A question is a sentence that seeks information or clarification, while a statement is a sentence that expresses a fact, belief, or opinion.

2. How do you know when a question is open-ended or closed-ended?

An open-ended question allows for a variety of possible answers and encourages discussion, while a closed-ended question has a limited set of predetermined answers.

3. What is the purpose of asking questions in scientific research?

The purpose of asking questions in scientific research is to gather information, test hypotheses, and ultimately gain a deeper understanding of the natural world.

4. Can a question be considered a hypothesis?

No, a question is not the same as a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, while a question is a way to inquire about a phenomenon.

5. How do you determine the validity of a question in a scientific study?

In a scientific study, the validity of a question is determined by its relevance to the research topic, its ability to be tested through data and evidence, and its potential to contribute to the overall understanding of the topic.

Back