U.S. Solar Eclipse of Aug. 21, 2017

In summary, the 2017 solar eclipse will be visible across the width of the entire United States. The points of Greatest Eclipse and Greatest Duration are going to occur on opposite sides of the Kentucky-Illinois border.
Observer said:
If I use my iPhone camera to watch the eclipse, will that damage it?
Not if you use it (with the in the field of view) only during totality.

There's a big difference between even "very close to totality" and "totality".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
No crowds in KY. Still vacancies at the campground.

But it just clouded up an hour ago. [emoji36]
Clouds here too after being sunny earlier. Hotel clerk said it is supposed to be partly cloudy tomorrow but with strong winds that should blow the clouds out by eclipse time. Fingers crossed.

I live in the totality zone, so I could simply walk out into my front yard tomorrow. However, the college where I used to teach is only a 10-15 minute walk away, so I'll probably head over there, eat lunch in the dining hall which will supposedly distribute eclipse glasses, and then see what my former colleagues have set up on the lawn outside.

Maybe early in the morning I'll take my car there and leave it in a parking lot (taking advantage of my still-valid faculty/staff parking sticker) with my camera and tripod in the trunk so I don't have to lug them over there by hand.

It's probably going to be a madhouse because students have been arriving over the weekend for fall semester which starts on Wednesday.

Right now the NWS forecast says mostly sunny, with a high of 92F.

Likes Stavros Kiri and russ_watters
jtbell said:
Not if you use it (with the in the field of view) only during totality.

There's a big difference between even "very close to totality" and "totality".
And if I use it outside totality?

Observer said:
Better you don't, but I'm quite risk averse when it comes to eyesight. I think it's simply not worth it. Better five minutes a coward than lifelong a dead or blind in this case. You could read this thread here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/protecting-optics-not-eyes-during-solar-observing.923164/
and this article here, which also mentions smartphones:
http://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how-to-photograph-the-solar-eclipse-without-damaging-your-camera

Good luck to everyone weatherwise! It's raining at my current location (not in the US, and as I said before I won't be there tomorrow).
OmCheeto said:
Doh! The truck is packed, and I forgot to make my reservations.
I knew I'd forget something.
... Small detail ...
Observer said:
Question:

If I use my iPhone camera to watch the eclipse, will that damage it?
Observer said:
These have been asked and answered before in this thread.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/u-s-solar-eclipse-of-aug-21-2017.866521/page-12#post-5823049
(post #232 and forth ...)
Look at the replies in between and what I and others consider as the conclusion:
mfb said:
Yes, you can use your phone camera. But don't do long-term exposures (pointless anyway as the sun is so bright), and don't use additional lenses without a proper filter.
Phone cameras don't have a shutter and can have the sun in view during normal use - they are typically built to survive a short (seconds) exposure, otherwise the cameras would break down frequently.
According to this article, Apple confirms that iPhones can survive it, and NASA says that a few seconds with any type of phone should be fine. I didn't find the original statements, but it agrees with what I saw elsewhere as well.

Likes mfb
jtbell said:
Right now the NWS forecast says mostly sunny, with a high of 92F.
I'm in the same general area today and have been following the forecast for two weeks. Yesterday's forecast was the best one so far. Weather is perfect this morning - not a single cloud in the sky! :)

Likes Stavros Kiri
So far it's clear here- forecast is for mostly sun; occultation starts at 1:06 pm EST, maximum (80%-ish) at 2:30... I may need 2 cameras- one for the sun, one for the party scene :)

Likes Borg
Borg said:
Weather is perfect this morning - not a single cloud in the sky! :)
If only it weren't so humid. ?:)

Cloudless blue sky in Kentucky

Hey everyone, when you post about local conditions, please say where your locality is.

Low fog in Lincoln city, OR, but it is just 8:00 am, so there is still hope that it will think or burn off by eclipse time as the sun rises.

Looking forward to a good show! we're only getting a 74% eclipse here in north Texas, but still worth taking a long lunch for. I've got eclipse viewing glasses but I also built a projector box out of a cardboard box and some spare machine vision lenses here at work. Everybody post pics!

Likes Stavros Kiri
I am right now (8:42 Pacific Time) on the OSU campus waiting for the eclipse to get going. e wifi for my laptop on a soccer field.
The sky is clear. All systems are go!

Have wifi for my laptop on a soccer field.

Drove up yesterday and had less traffic than is around Portland every week day.
Probably could have driven up today if I wanted to.

For those who are in a partial eclipse zone (like us in upstate NY), if you are near a rural area with woods, apparently you may be able to experience the leaves creating lots of "pinhole" effects, resulting in a deluge of crescent-shaped patches of light and shadow. We have several acres of woods right in back of the house so we'll see.

This must be a very well-known phenomenon but I hadn't heard of it before. My wife heard about it on a radio show featuring our local astronomy buff/author Bob Berman. I also found a web page from the 2012 eclipse with photos:

Tree Leaves as “Pinhole Cameras” During a Solar Eclipse

Likes Stavros Kiri
Moon phase today: New moon (1st day)
[Meaning the moon is totally invisible]

This is the only time (phase) a total solar eclipse can occur, because the sun has to be exactly on the other side (180°).
Also it's not the moon's shadow that we see [as we speak] hiding the sun, but the moon itself; it's just that it's invisible because it's new moon ... (and not just because it's day and it's in front of the sun)
(obvious basic astronomy)

Last edited:
Guess who just showed up in Kentucky? In the picture are @jim hardy and @anorlunda .

20170821_112213.jpg

Likes jim hardy, OmCheeto, davenn and 5 others
Watching from Durham, NC. A few puffy clouds in the sky, otherwise pretty clear.

I saw about a 75% coverage eclipse in... oh... maybe 1973 or so, in New Jersey when I was in the third grade. It is supposed to be about 93% here. Really wish I could have gotten out of town to check out the totality... Hopefully there will be more opportunities.

Watching live coverage in Science Channel and tracking it on various websites.

Nature sure puts on some cool shows.

diogenesNY

Totality has started a few minutes ago, currently over the Pacific.

From Western Europe you can see a very shallow partial eclipse close to sunset. Map

Likes UsableThought and Stavros Kiri
Likes Drakkith
The partial eclipse has begun in upstate SC, but clouds have been popping up. Maybe about 40% sky coverage. Keeping our fingers crossed...

Started watching the eclipse just outside the hotel but kept flirting with fog blocking the sun. Then a garbage collector passing by told us that if we just went down to the next traffic light, turned up the road and went another 3/4 mile, it was clear. It was, and we were able to catch totality. Amazing!

Likes OmCheeto, Stavros Kiri, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
No totality but nice little patterns everywhere at 99%.
35908287093_be41b34053_z_d.jpg

36717590805_e5d8870cb9_b_d.jpg

36322199420_59a70c722c_b_d.jpg

Likes BillTre, OmCheeto, Andy Resnick and 3 others
I built a projector out of a box and some spare lenses I stacked up. About a 74% eclipse in Texas, made some nice designs in the shadows of the trees!

upload_2017-8-21_14-2-46.png

upload_2017-8-21_14-3-35.png

upload_2017-8-21_14-4-37.png

Likes BillTre, Stavros Kiri, jtbell and 3 others
Looks like the dragon disgorged the sun, and the world doesn't end this afternoon. :)

94% occlusion here. It got much darker, but a bit of an anti-climax... must make a point to get myself to the totality next chance I can get.

Definitely got the dozens of crescents through the leaves of the oak tree in the front yard. Cool effect.

No noticeable change in the behavior of several observed local animals. (Four cats and one dog).

diogenesNY

Likes Stavros Kiri
Was able to get a couple of shots of totality with our digital camera. Ended up collecting email addresses from other people in the small group we were with that didn't get as good a picture with their cell phones.
Will have to wait until I get home to transfer pictures from camera before I can post them. Spending the rest of three day at the beach before heading home tomorrow.

Likes russ_watters
You'll kill me for this bad pun. That was totally beautiful.

It was a sight that I'll never forget.

Likes jim hardy, stoomart, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Some off-grid solar energy power charts during the Solar Eclipse.

36581375101_b6a931f00f_z_d.jpg

36673981256_227907d422_c_d.jpg

Same data, Linear, Log.
36674260886_ff99b64092_c_d.jpg

Log detail.

Likes BillTre, OmCheeto, Stavros Kiri and 2 others
96%

happy_Crescent.jpg

Likes scottdave and Stavros Kiri
our (local) max:

DSC_8748%20copy_zpsujhlplr1.jpg

Working on the timelapse...